PDA

View Full Version : Gaining a Convert (re: Waterboarding)

richardh
11-13-2007, 01:08 PM
I need help from someone to get one new primary voter. My wife is a registered Democrat in our closed-primary state. I've slowly worked her over re: Ron Paul, but she doesn't ever want to become a registered Republican. This morning we were having a conversation re: waterboarding (don't ask me why), and I told her that all of that would stop if Ron Paul were elected President. She responded that if I could find a source for Ron Paul's condemnation of waterboarding, she would register Republican and vote for him. Him condemning "torture" won't do it, since some Republicans have said waterboarding doesn't qualify as torture.

Does anyone know of a video / article / etc. where he talks about this. Any references would help. Thanks,

Richard

KewlRonduderules
11-13-2007, 01:49 PM
Try to go here:

http://veteransforpaul.org/?m=200705

Republicans and Torture
Thursday, May 17th, 2007
Where Ron Paul set himself apart was on the issue of torture. He did so by pointing out that torture by any other name is still torture, and he is strongly in opposition to the use of torture.

At stake here is the Fifth Amendment itself. The standard should not only be a prohibition on torture, but there should be a prohibition on using any coercion to force a confession or information out of people. By normalizing torture, or coerced confessions, the right to not incriminate yourself or even somebody else is suspended.

Ron Paul’s position on the torture issue alone makes him the clear winner of the debate.

LibertyEagle
11-13-2007, 01:53 PM
Richard,

I can't remember which debate it was, but he was railing about the National ID that is on our doorstep and the fact that we ARE torturing people. That statement alone, sets him apart from the others. He has not ever said that waterboarding is not torture. In fact the others say that we have not tortured. Paul said we ARE and he condemns it.

curtisag
11-13-2007, 01:56 PM
Ron Paul is very outspoken on the torture issue. I'm sure you can find many quotes with a simple google search.

"Legal issues aside, the American people and government should never abide the use of torture by our military or intelligence agencies. A decent society never accepts or justifies torture. It dehumanizes both torturer and victim, yet seldom produces reliable intelligence. Torture by rogue American troops or agents puts all Americans at risk, especially our rank-and-file soldiers stationed in dozens of dangerous places around the globe. God forbid terrorists take American soldiers or travelers hostage and torture them as some kind of sick retaliation for Abu Gharib.
o Torture, War, and Presidential Powers, June 15, 2004"

http://www.ronpaulfan.com/ron-paul-quotes/