PDA

View Full Version : MD - Shot while trying to flee

Anti Federalist
03-02-2012, 01:16 PM
Suspect unarmed when shot dead in Somerset

http://www.delmarvanow.com/article/20120302/NEWS01/203020303/Suspect-unarmed-when-shot-dead-Somerset

PRINCESS ANNE -- Maryland State Police are continuing to investigate the fatal shooting of a local man by two troopers assigned to the Princess Anne Barrack.

The reason for the shooting is still unclear.

"We don't have all the answers yet," said state police spokesman Greg Shipley.

Terry C. Diaz, 49, of Creek View Drive, Princess Anne, was shot in the head following a Wednesday evening chase on Route 13 that involved state police and Somerset County deputies.

The law enforcement officers who fired their weapons were Trooper Ryan Watkins and Trooper 1st Class Carl Tyler, who are both assigned to road patrol duties at the Princess Anne Barrack.

Both troopers have been placed on administrative leave pending the outcome of the investigation, police said.

Watkins has been with the state police for three years and Tyler is a four-year veteran, according to police.

Just before 7:30 p.m. Wednesday, police received a call regarding a suspicious person and vehicle at Manokin Manor Nursing and Rehabilitation Center.

Bonnie Stone, administrator of the facility, said police were called when staff members noticed a man sitting in a vehicle in the back parking lot for a long time.

Diaz had no connection to Manokin Manor, she said.

Deputies arrived first and tried to make contact with Diaz, who was in a Chevrolet Blazer driving away from the area when they arrived. Deputies attempted a traffic stop, but Diaz accelerated and fled, police said.

A pursuit ensued and responding troopers became involved.

Diaz fled north, south, and then north again on Route 13, making several U-turns during the pursuit, police said.

Troopers used stop sticks, which were avoided the first time, and run over the second time. Diaz collided with Tyler's vehicle several times during the pursuit, police said.

Troopers finally used a "rolling roadblock" technique to force the Blazer into a grass median strip on northbound Route 13, north of Revells Neck Road, where it became stuck in the mud.

Diaz continued to accelerate, apparently trying to extricate his car from the mud, police said.

Tyler and Watkins left their patrol cars, approached the Blazer and gave verbal commands to the driver.

Both troopers fired their department-issued .40-caliber pistols as they approached the car, according to police.

Two other troopers were on the scene behind the first troopers and two Somerset County deputies arrived as shots were fired.

Diaz was pronounced dead at the scene by EMS personnel.

A firearm has not been recovered, police said.

Police closed northbound Route 13 between Revells Neck and Perry roads following the incident.

Investigators from the Maryland State Police Homicide Unit are conducting the investigation, which is standard procedure in police-involved shootings.

The State Police Internal Affairs Unit is also conducting an investigation, which also is standard procedure in police-involved shootings.

Members of the Homicide Unit will present their investigation to the Somerset County State's Attorney's Office for review upon completion, police said.

CaptUSA
03-02-2012, 01:20 PM
Tyler and Watkins left their patrol cars

This is where they went wrong... Too many donuts that morning. Shouldn't have tried chasing someone on foot.

aGameOfThrones
03-02-2012, 04:48 PM
Troopers used stop sticks, which were avoided the first time, and run over the second time. Diaz collided with Tyler's vehicle several times during the pursuit, police said.

Troopers finally used a "rolling roadblock" technique to force the Blazer into a grass median strip on northbound Route 13, north of Revells Neck Road, where it became stuck in the mud.

Patricia Cook didn't get those privileges.

Anti Federalist
03-02-2012, 04:51 PM
Patricia Cook didn't get those privileges.

I was thinking the same thing.

pcosmar
03-02-2012, 05:03 PM
The reason for the shooting is still unclear.

This should absolutely NEVER be the case.

There should never be a shooting by a cop or ordinary citizen unless the reason was known and clear.
Period.

Luciconsort
03-02-2012, 05:28 PM
Maryland is a Nazi State, the Maryland State Police are the SA.... they too wear brown shirts. This shit happens all the time here, the police have a HUGE chip on their shoulder in "The Free State". We are taxed to death and the now instead of raising taxes they have renamed them "fees", and piled them on thick. Gas fees, liquor fees, they raised the boat licence fee from roughly 25-50 FRN's for a bass boat to over 250. We're poor as shit here, crime is rampant and the police have free reign and everyone's a suspect..... it sucks.

Anti Federalist
03-02-2012, 05:33 PM
Maryland is a Nazi State, the Maryland State Police are the SA.... they too wear brown shirts. This shit happens all the time here, the police have a HUGE chip on their shoulder in "The Free State". We are taxed to death and the now instead of raising taxes they have renamed them "fees", and piled them on thick. Gas fees, liquor fees, they raised the boat licence fee from roughly 25-50 FRN's for a bass boat to over 250. We're poor as shit here, crime is rampant and the police have free reign and everyone's a suspect..... it sucks.

Coming soon to state near you.

Orgoonian
03-02-2012, 05:35 PM

No disrespect meant,but why would you stay?

Luciconsort
03-02-2012, 05:56 PM
No disrespect meant,but why would you stay?

currently saving up to move.... anywhere lol. besides that, it's my home. I like the people, I love the land, I just hate how it's gotten here. However I live like 20 minutes from DE, 40 from VA and a 2 hour ride will put me in NC. so I'm looking and weighing and keeping my head down.

Kylie
03-02-2012, 09:33 PM
currently saving up to move.... anywhere lol. besides that, it's my home. I like the people, I love the land, I just hate how it's gotten here. However I live like 20 minutes from DE, 40 from VA and a 2 hour ride will put me in NC. so I'm looking and weighing and keeping my head down.

Good luck. I've got the same idea, but am way behind where I want to be in my goal. Working on it, but it's slow moving. Keep your chin up :)