PDA

View Full Version : Colorado Poised for Ballot Measure to Legalize Marijuana

FrankRep
03-02-2012, 08:57 AM
http://thenewamerican.com/images/stories2012/10aMarch/marijuanaplant-t.001.jpg

Voters in Colorado and Washington State will vote this November on measures to legalize marijuana.

Colorado Poised for Ballot Measure to Legalize Marijuana (http://thenewamerican.com/usnews/politics/11053-colorado-poised-for-ballot-measure-to-legalize-marijuana)

Dave Bohon | The New American (http://thenewamerican.com/)
02 March 2012

KMX
03-02-2012, 09:01 AM
YES to Cannabis!

It is a natural resource that can CURE you and WONT kill you. (not help and then kill you like man made pills)

If someone want's to learn more on the FACTS about Cannabis , I could go all day.

One of my favorite FACTS about Cannabis is a new study that shows if you smoke Cannabis you are 60-65% more likly NOT to get Cancer then someone that DOES NOT SMOKE ANYTHING AT ALL. Love IT!

KMX
03-02-2012, 09:04 AM
Why does the goverment allow Drs, Scientist and Universitys to study herion, coke, meth all these wicked drugs, BUT they will not allow the study of Cannabis.... WHY?????

B/C they know that if they have a CURE for Cancer, Arthiritis, Athsma, HIV, and many other sicknesses then that would mean TRILLIONS of dollars gone from the pharmacitical pills. Wich big banks and courportations are involved in a BUNCH!

WE HAVE A CURE!!! But it's cheap and does not make money so why sell it?????? WAKE UP!!

Jonathanm
03-02-2012, 09:17 AM
I wouldn't be surprised if this passed. Colorado is really pushing to be one of the first states to legalize. Whether or not the Federal Government gets involved is another story. I really doubt they'd let it go, but perhaps if a few states manage to legalize at the same time. That'd be a huge blow to have Washington, California, and Colorado all decide, in the same year, that cannabis should no longer be prohibited.

WE HAVE A CURE!!! But it's cheap and does not make money so why sell it?????? WAKE UP!!

No worries, big pharma corps have already made a cannabis spray. Not marinol, which is synthetic, but Sativex, which is literally cannabis put into spray form. I'm sure we'll all be able to use cannabis here shortly, but only if it has to cost us $3000 a month. :rolleyes:

Johnny Appleseed
03-02-2012, 09:28 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3aV7CoZ84fM&feature=related

speciallyblend
03-02-2012, 09:42 AM
we also have resolutions going to state legalizing as well in the cogop!!

Shane Harris
03-02-2012, 10:21 AM
YES to Cannabis!

It is a natural resource that can CURE you and WONT kill you. (not help and then kill you like man made pills)

If someone want's to learn more on the FACTS about Cannabis , I could go all day.

One of my favorite FACTS about Cannabis is a new study that shows if you smoke Cannabis you are 60-65% more likly NOT to get Cancer then someone that DOES NOT SMOKE ANYTHING AT ALL. Love IT!

umm I would really like to see the sources for these claims. not that I don't believe them but other people won't without sources and it would be an extremely helpful tool in conversations of I could back up these claims.

Shane Harris
03-02-2012, 10:21 AM
Why does the goverment allow Drs, Scientist and Universitys to study herion, coke, meth all these wicked drugs, BUT they will not allow the study of Cannabis.... WHY?????

B/C they know that if they have a CURE for Cancer, Arthiritis, Athsma, HIV, and many other sicknesses then that would mean TRILLIONS of dollars gone from the pharmacitical pills. Wich big banks and courportations are involved in a BUNCH!

these claims too. sources would be amazing resources in arguments.

Massachusetts
03-02-2012, 10:25 AM
It doesn't cure cancer..it's not a magic bean. It may help to slow the grow of malignant tumors and the growth of cancerous cells, but it is by no means a straight up cure.

However, I am for the legalization of marijuana to open up the door for legitimate medical research without the fear of federal government regulations or sanctions. We need to find out what the true benefits and true harms are. As activists, we should stop pretending to be scientists just because we read about a study on a pro-legalization website and leave that to the actual people who do research on a daily basis.

Shane Harris
03-02-2012, 10:37 AM
even though this referendum includes silly regulations on how much marijuana you can own and grow, it is still a major step in the right direction.

xFiFtyOnE
03-02-2012, 10:47 AM

Unless you know something I don't, it doesn't CURE any of that. It can however help alleviate symptoms. You may not feel those aches an pains associated with those diseases but you will still have the disease.

However, don't take that as me being anti-pot. I loved smoking the stuff back when I could. Had to stop smoking because you can't get a job around here that pays decent without drug testing. I do know it can help with insomnia, stomach and back pain, and head aches from personal experience. ;)

Kelly.
03-02-2012, 10:58 AM
vote yes on 64

im will continue to say this even if people dont yet know what Am64 is.
because you see, in my line of work, you have to repeat things over and over again, to sort of catapult the propaganda :)

Joshua2585
03-02-2012, 11:27 AM
Meh, us crazy Coloradans are voting on this almost every year. It continues to be shot down, somehow. Rigged vote? Probably.

There are already cannabis stores every other block. You can seriously go to your doctor, tell him you have a back ache, and get a script.

During the annual marijuana festival downtown, they have doctors on site that do quick exams and give out scripts. lol. The line wraps around the block.

roderik
03-02-2012, 11:42 AM
Unless you know something I don't, it doesn't CURE any of that. It can however help alleviate symptoms. You may not feel those aches an pains associated with those diseases but you will still have the disease.

However, don't take that as me being anti-pot. I loved smoking the stuff back when I could. Had to stop smoking because you can't get a job around here that pays decent without drug testing. I do know it can help with insomnia, stomach and back pain, and head aches from personal experience. ;)

Endocannabinoids are probably the most effective anti-cancer-cell agent we know today.
Just google for science papers using "Cannabinoids cancer". The net is littered with papers about this subject.
Since 2004 the evidence is OVERWHELMING that cannbinoids actually CURE CANCER.

Just because you haven't heard of something doesn't make it untrue.

dannno
03-02-2012, 11:43 AM
It doesn't cure cancer..it's not a magic bean. It may help to slow the grow of malignant tumors and the growth of cancerous cells, but it is by no means a straight up cure.

No, you're wrong, it has been shown to shrink tumors.

It is a 'magic bean'. Look at all of the benefits of the stock, hemp, the seed is one of the most healthful substances known to man and the flower is a medicine that treats hundreds of conditions.

Jonathanm
03-02-2012, 11:44 AM
There are already cannabis stores every other block. You can seriously go to your doctor, tell him you have a back ache, and get a script.

I yearn for such a world. I can't get the extremely medicinally beneficial strains of cannabis, due to prohibition. Amusingly, the strain I most want to use is one with higher CBD levels, and wouldn't make me nearly as intoxicated as the stuff that roams the black market, which almost always has a high ratio of THC to CBD. The black market doesn't really care about the medicinal nature of CBD, because the vast majority of the people in the black market enjoy high-THC content, because they want to be impaired. It wouldn't make sense for a dealer to go out and purchase a bunch of CBD weed, because when most people smoked it, they'd come back and say "This stuff sucks, it didn't even get me high!".

In trying to prevent me from getting high, they've actually forced me into getting higher, as not having access to cannabis is simply not an option for me.

No, you're wrong, it has been shown toshrink tumors.

This. It's certainly not a cure for AIDS, or Asthma, but does treat the symptoms of these things incredibly well. In regards to cancer, though, it has been shown to reduce the size of tumors. This isn't to say that someone with full blown cancer should only smoke weed, as the rate in which it reduces tumor growth might not exceed the rate at which the tumor is growing. That said, cannabis is probably one of the best anti-cancer agents out there as far as preventatives go. This is one hypothesis as to why the smoking of cannabis doesn't lead to cancer of the lungs, despite the fact that smoke has carcinogens (The smoke, not the cannabis).

Endocannabinoids are probably the most effective anti-cancer-cell agent we know today.
Just google for science papers using "Cannabinoids cancer". The net is littered with papers about this subject.
Since 2004 the evidence is OVERWHELMING that cannbinoids actually CURE CANCER.

Also true, although I'd again like to point out that, in certain cases, it might not be enough by itself to cure the cancer. If the cancer is growing and spreading faster than the cannabinoids are shrinking it, then the cancer will inevitably take over at some point. That said, this is also true of every other anti-cancer agent, and chemotherapy. If it grows faster than it shrinks/dies, you will inevitably lose the battle.

dannno
03-02-2012, 11:47 AM
'

It actually does work at the root to help people with inflammatory conditions such as arthritis, MS and many other debilitating conditions. It literally saves people's lives.

WilliamC
03-02-2012, 11:49 AM

However, I am for the legalization of marijuana to open up the door for legitimate medical research without the fear of federal government regulations or sanctions. We need to find out what the true benefits and true harms are. As activists, we should stop pretending to be scientists just because we read about a study on a pro-legalization website and leave that to the actual people who do research on a daily basis.

Actually I am a scientist, a geneticist by training, and I'd love to map the cannabis genome.

To my knowledge there hasn't been definitive karyotyping of Cannabis so I don't think we even know exactly what the normal chromosomal composition of the species is, but this could be done pretty quickly using root-tip cells from young growing plants and standard cytological and light-microscope methods. I think I recall reading several groups have done shotgun sequencing of Cannabis genomic DNA, but without chromosomal information we can't begin to construct contig maps and I don't know if anyone has made genomic DNA libraries yet either. And of course it would be nice to have the analytical equipment and access to a wide variety of flowering plants to do comparative biochemistry among different strains, indeed I know this is currently being done to identify the various different compounds which might have distinct pharmacological effects.

Heck, in a rational world there would be a Cannabis genome project, I'd love to start one myself but I'm sort of broke and have no laboratory to work in. Well, it's probably being done somewhere but because of the illegality it just isn't being talked about.

roderik
03-02-2012, 11:51 AM

Yes, it does cure cancer. Period.
Read: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16908594

The sole reason for cannabis being illegal is big pharma wants to sell us their chemicals.
The pro-cannabis arguments of "positive effects" treating insomnia, appetite, etc. - forget about that crap.
It's a friggen wonder-plant and the government knows it.

John F Kennedy III
03-02-2012, 11:52 AM
No, you're wrong, it has been shown to shrink tumors.

It is a 'magic bean'. Look at all of the benefits of the stock, hemp, the seed is one of the most healthful substances known to man and the flower is a medicine that treats hundreds of conditions.

This.

Jonathanm
03-02-2012, 12:50 PM
It actually does work at the root to help people with inflammatory conditions such as arthritis, MS and many other debilitating conditions. It literally saves people's lives.

Too true. Chronic inflammation can actually cause a myriad of health problems, including heart disease. If you treat the inflammation, you can prevent many of these things from happening in the first place. Cannabis might not be a miracle drug after people have already gotten debilitating effects; it might not be able to completely negate these diseases and issues, but as you said at the very least it tackles a great deal of them from the very root, and further works as one of the best preventatives ever discovered by human kind.

This isn't even addressing the mental health issues that cannabis can help. A recent study showed that the MMJ states had a decline in suicide rates after cannabis was legalized medicinally. I haven't looked through the study thoroughly enough to conclude whether or not it was conducted in an appropriate manner, but from a personal standpoint I completely agree. When you're at the edge of that abyss, cannabis doesn't just gently pull you away; cannabis kicks your ass into laughing at the most ridiculous of things, and pretty soon you've forgotten you were suicidal in the first place.

Cannabidiol (CBD) has also been studied as an anti-psychotic, the type of drugs schizophrenics and bipolar people are wont to use. It was concluded that CBD works as well as first generation anti-psychotics, but CBD doesn't cause diabetes, and other severe and life-threatening side effects.

The crazy part about all of this is that CBD is only one of the many chemicals and cannabinoids found within the plant. Too often I think people refer to cannabis as ONE thing. They think of cannabis like they think of opiates. The problem with this view is that cannabis is actually an incredibly large range of chemicals, and these chemicals all vary in what they can do, and what they can treat.