PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about letting my NRA membership expire.

VIDEODROME
11-13-2007, 11:45 AM
I still support the 2nd amendment and I'm still a gun owner. However there seems to be a conflict between supporting Ron Paul or the NRA.

I'm concerned that the NRA doesn't like Ron Paul and if I continue to pay dues I may be supporting another candidate endorsed by the NRA such as Fred Thompson.

I do think the NRA does some good outside of politics like promoting gun safety training but I'm not sure I feel comfortable with the ILA lobby.

Kregener
11-13-2007, 11:49 AM
Quit thinking about it and do it.

Then immediately join Gun Owners of America.

crhoades
11-13-2007, 11:53 AM
Support the Gun Owners of America
http://www.gunowners.org/

From their home page:

"The only no-compromise gun lobby in Washington."
-Rep. Ron Paul (R-TX)

VIDEODROME
11-13-2007, 12:12 PM
Okay it's done. I got the renewal notice here on my desk and it'll just be tossed out.

I guess I just thought about it because I've been a member for a long time. For some reason though I was also getting a little disillusioned with them. This recent Ron Paul thing finally convinced me to drop them.

Dequeant
11-13-2007, 04:44 PM
Don't waste it. Call and tell them you are considering renewing, but you don't want to contribute to an organisation that will support ANYONE but Ron Paul. If they get enough of these it will at least weigh in their consideration of which one to support.

If Ron Paul got the NRA......whoa buddy, all bets are off.

Ira Aten
11-15-2007, 11:40 AM
Quote from Dequeant:

Don't waste it. Call and tell them you are considering renewing, but you don't want to contribute to an organisation that will support ANYONE but Ron Paul. If they get enough of these it will at least weigh in their consideration of which one to support.

That is a great idea. My wife is a member (I decided it would be best to contribute in her name, so the female membership rates would be higher) and the renewal letter came the other day. I decided to contribute (join) GOA instead.

However, in my county, the GOA cooperated with a measure to impede discharge of firearms at the county level, so both groups waffle.

I beleive what I'll do, is to have her call and tell them she will renew, when the NRA endorses Ron Paul EVERYONE should do that.

Great suggestion!!!!!!!!!!!!111111

Mrossca
11-15-2007, 02:55 PM
I contacted my very small and Local NRA leader and he was more than supportive of passing out Ron Paul information for me via his NRA distribution list. Start small.

Don't renew, and tell them why. They need to unabashadley support RON PAUL.

virginiaJim
11-18-2007, 11:46 AM
I stopped paying years ago. I got sick of my money going to republicans that did nothing to protect my rights when one gun law after another was being past. Protection of gun ownership should be grass roots and not left to big money lobby groups I think. If they want my guns they can try and take them. All it will do is let them see the roots to my grass in less than a minute of talking about it.

ConstitutionGal
11-18-2007, 11:51 AM
The only 2nd amendment type sticker on my car is a GOA membership sticker. The NRA caves in (under the guise of compromise) WAY too much for my taste. I'm of the opinion that we shouldn't have to get anybody's permission to carry a gun anywhere we choose to do so.

jgmaynard
11-18-2007, 01:16 PM

Except Stephanophilis's (sp?) bet. We'll stilll collect on that one. ;) :D

JM

spcmckay
11-18-2007, 06:31 PM
Ron Paul supports the right to bear arms. Arms are any individual weapon including knives, swords and machine guns. You can and should join a gun club for free.

freelance
11-19-2007, 05:35 AM
Send the postage-paid envelope back to them with a Slim Jim.

Wendi
11-19-2007, 09:34 AM
I am a descendant of General Ambrose E. Burnside - one of the founding members of the NRA. When they committed LIBEL against Ron Paul earlier this year, I cut my membership card up and mailed it back to them, with a letter renouncing my membership and explaining why.

Until they can explain why they LIED about Ron Paul in print (the definition of LIBEL), I am not interested in being a part of their organization. They have proved to me that they are NOT interested in truly protecting my rights. I don't know what their motives are, but it's not something I care to waste any more money on.