PDA

View Full Version : Language Barrier in Culturally Different Communities

alucard13mmfmj
02-29-2012, 03:16 PM
I'm having a hard time converting my "elder" relatives because of a language barrier. Their english is not too good/doesnt exist and my Chinese speaking and hearing capability is simple.

From what I can gather, they believe that democrats help poor people/minority and the republicans are racist, white men (a sentiment that I once shared).

I hate to put Americans in groups but, I think we should try to work more with culturally different communities and target them. Communities that predominantly speak Spanish, Chinese, Russian, Portuguese and etc etc. They might not get the information needed or get unbiased news. My relatives watch mostly chinese/hong kong channels like TVB and read Chinese Newspapers. I've watched the news on those channels. The news rarely talk about GOP nomination process and they don't really talk about the candidates besides their rank in a state primary or caucus. The news are pretty liberal.

Maybe some ads could be made to target specific demographics. Are we going to let these communities get swallowed up by the liberals? D: I have a handicap of being an ABC (American Born Chinese) and not knowing enough Chinese to convey complex thoughts in Chinese. I kinda like the hispanic community organizing in their communities for Ron Paul. The one thing I told my relatives is.. "How can the government help poor people if the government is broke?" (Gou jing fu wo sai cheen, chum goi they bien yourng bong cong yen?).

My family/relatives immigrated from Hong Kong and went to Detroit, Michigan before most of them settled in California. I still had some relatives in Michigan (my uncle worked as an engineer at GM before getting laid off). I did manage to get 2 of my cousins, they live in Sterling Heights, Michigan (I think part of Detroit), to look at Ron Paul's direction before they went to vote. One of my cousin voted for Ron and the other for Romney =|. It seems that my relatives from non-coastal regions of the USA are better at english and some are even republicans.

For the most part, most of my relatives/family are democrats or they don't care to vote. My mom doesn't vote and my dad voted for Obama last year.

We need to try harder to reach out to all demographics XD... Converting republicans, democrats, independents, previously non-voters to Ron.

BTW, does anyone have ammo I can use on my dad? He is a postal clerk at USPS. His processing center is most likely going to be closed. He either has to go out of state or another city (2-3hr drive) or forced to early retire (he is age 56). He worked at the postal office slightly less than 30 years. Anyone have some Ron Paul points I can use? I am not sure what would Ron do about the USPS.

Mr. Perfidy
02-29-2012, 03:19 PM
the fact that the govt subsidized enslaving asians to build rail-roads doesn't turn them off of statism?

Mr. Perfidy
02-29-2012, 03:20 PM
japanese internment, asian immigration restriction, and the fact that affirmative action keeps achievement-minded hard-working asian kids from advancement? those are good asian people anti-state issues.

My first ron paul convert was a girl from hong kong! she is all about the Dr now

BuddyRey
02-29-2012, 04:48 PM
Native East Asians do tend, in general, to be tougher to convince of the ideas of liberty. It's a highly admirable and beautiful culture, but one that has been philosophically grounded in Confucianism and ideals of honor, duty, and the submission of the individual to collective tradition, law, ancestor veneration, etc. for thousands and thousands of years.

Of course, it wouldn't be fair to paint the East Asian cultures as having never deviated from collectivism; after all, Lao Tzu was arguably the father and architect of the thoroughly libertarian idea of Spontaneous Order, and the more general concept of Wu Wei.

But for whatever reason, Taoism never decisively manifested itself in the politics of China or the rest of the region. But I'm getting waaay off topic now.

The real hope I have is thoroughly invested in the American-born children and grandchildren of native East Asians. I've talked to many of them and they're among the most freedom-loving and individualistic people I know. I actually think growing up with a knowledge of Western culture and being able to contrast and contextualize that with the values of their elders gives them a rare insight into these major differences, and if anything, the stringency of their own family's moral code causes a kind of "Preacher's Son/Daughter Syndrome."

I'm good friends with a 2nd generation South Korean-American girl of about 18 whose parents were very strict and controlling. They tried to handpick everything, from her hobbies and extracurricular activities, to the circle of friends she was permitted to keep. She was never allowed to sleepover at any friend's house whose parents were not already intimately known and liked by them (basically, family friends only). But the rebellious spirit in that girl is unlike anything I see in the young people around me. She's passionate about gun rights, and we've gone shooting together. She rails against Obama, calls the drug war idiotic, and seems genuinely fascinated by the concept of commodity money. She's a budding libertarian, and she doesn't even know it yet. ;)