PDA

View Full Version : Ron Paul and Rep. McCotter Confront Bernanke on Inflation, Monetary Policy 2/29/2012

vechorik
02-29-2012, 12:52 PM
Ron Paul and Rep. McCotter Confront Bernanke on Inflation, Monetary Policy

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/ron-paul-and-rep-mccotter-confront-bernanke-on-inflation-monetary-policy/#comment-2953316

Stocks are taking a hit this afternoon because of remarks made by the Chairman of the Federal Reserve Ben Bernanke after he was pushed by Congressmen Ron Paul and Thaddeus McCotter to explain the Feds current monetary policy.

The Dow, which had been up by as many as 51 points, reversed course as Bernanke started speaking. It turned negative within the hour.

Bernanke said the job market is still “far from normal” and that more stimulus measures may be needed, according to a recent CNBC report.

“Gas prices will add to inflation,” Bernanke said, “while unemployment is falling faster than expected.”

However, that‘s not why some analysts think the markets have reacted poorly to Bernanke’s testimony. It’s not because the Fed may launch more stimulus measures but because it may not engage in more stimulus spending.

“People want the punch bowl to be there forever,” Joe Saluzzi, co-manager of trading at Themis Trading, told CNBC. “[This selloff’s] because of the lack of what [Bernanke] said.”

“People have had an excuse to buy for the last three months and that excuse has been free money…people are looking for more,” added Saluzzi.

Watch Rep.Thaddeus McCotter question Bernanke on how monetary policy has affected inflation, saving, the health of the economy, and the stock market:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?&v=n4-o90N-cng

The current market losses are broad, with nine of the 10 industry groups in the S&P 500 losing ground. Materials and energy stocks had the sharpest declines, while consumer products and financial companies were nearly flat.

The price of gold was virtually unchanged until 10 a.m., just as Bernanke started speaking, then fell more than $70 an ounce. It recovered some of its losses and was down about $50 an ounce at $1,738.

“In January, at one of your press conferences, you sort of poked a little bit of fun at people to downplay the ‘two percent’ inflation rate,” Rep. Ron Paul (R-TX) said.

“But if you say it’s two and I say it’s nine, let’s compromise for the sake of argument that it’s five percent. Then you said ‘it doesn’t hurt you unless you’re one of those people who stick their money in the mattress.’ But where are you going to put it?” Rep. Paul asked.

“Are you going to put it in a CD and not make any money at all? This doesn’t make any sense. It doesn’t encourage any savings and it just discourages people,” Rep. Paul added.

Watch Rep. Paul explain to Bernanke his take on the real inflation rate, price increases, and the differences between fiat currency and a gold/silver standard (via Business Insider):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H4uL6CSiGrU

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

sailingaway
02-29-2012, 01:23 PM
McCotter knows we'd be watching, knows this is now a winning issue....another Ron Paul clone. I guess I'll have to look into his pronouncements on the Fed prior to Ron's last campaign, if any, to check out his credibility. It seems like a lot of people are jumping on the bandwagon now.

rideurlightning
02-29-2012, 01:33 PM
This guy is a joke. He voted for a whole slew of anti-liberty legislation. http://www.issues2000.org/MI/Thad_McCotter.htm

surf
02-29-2012, 01:42 PM
did Ben say interest rates are too high? what a f#cking idiot.

alucard13mmfmj
02-29-2012, 01:51 PM
oh ron... such a hard working civil servant. all this campaigning and he has to deal with Bernanke's smug face.

nobody's_hero
02-29-2012, 01:54 PM
Get that stock market back down Ron so I can afford a tank of gas. It ain't real growth anyway. Just inflation.

sailingaway
02-29-2012, 02:00 PM
This guy is a joke. He voted for a whole slew of anti-liberty legislation. http://www.issues2000.org/MI/Thad_McCotter.htm

yeah, I know he's not 'our guy' generally, but Grayson, for example, added value on this issue. Amash doesn't seem to know this stuff, and I'm wondering if there is anyone we can track on this after Ron leaves. I'm hoping whatever Ron is doing, President or not, he'll still keep us informed, but I'm just keeping my eyes open.

Antwan15
02-29-2012, 02:24 PM
Ben, was commenting on the lack a aggregate demand (AD) as it relates to the "economies capacity to produce goods" or aggregate supply (AS). This is the main center point of keynsian economics and shows how ass backwards our money system is. If demand is the only thing that matters (it is not) then of course, a central bank and lawmakers would do well to attempt to boost it, but this leads to the failure of "demand side economics" because following that logic, you could create new demand for things even though the market would not send it's resources their immediately. Basically, you could pay half of the people to dig a hole, and the other half, to fill the hole back in, because by their logic this boosts aggregate demand. This is systemic, and a failure of the educational system, because even undergrade econ students are led to believe that and economy is Y=c+I+G+nx where G is governmental spending, therefore a boost in G increases demand and growth occurs. However they discount the fact that G must either tax, borrow, or print ALL of their spending, which then leads to a decrease it other parts of the economy, such as Consumtion (C) and Investment (I), which is why there is there is not enough credit, and therefore, intrest rate should be below zero (dumb). Allow people to keep their money and they will invest, save, and spend! Supply side (truth) says, and economy is a FUNCTION OF PRODUCTIVITY x Labor x Capital, and money (or demand) has nothing to do with it. This is a paradigm shift that needs to occur in academia, because people are being lied to, and most lawmakers sadly have been brainwashed into this way of thinking, I know I was when I was and undergrad! At least McCotter realizes how Fucked bernanke's logic is, I only wish more would do the same. /written but not read.

Cody1
02-29-2012, 02:51 PM
Ben, was commenting on the lack a aggregate demand (AD) as it relates to the "economies capacity to produce goods" or aggregate supply (AS). This is the main center point of keynsian economics and shows how ass backwards our money system is. If demand is the only thing that matters (it is not) then of course, a central bank and lawmakers would do well to attempt to boost it, but this leads to the failure of "demand side economics" because following that logic, you could create new demand for things even though the market would not send it's resources their immediately. Basically, you could pay half of the people to dig a hole, and the other half, to fill the hole back in, because by their logic this boosts aggregate demand. This is systemic, and a failure of the educational system, because even undergrade econ students are led to believe that and economy is Y=c+I+G+nx where G is governmental spending, therefore a boost in G increases demand and growth occurs. However they discount the fact that G must either tax, borrow, or print ALL of their spending, which then leads to a decrease it other parts of the economy, such as Consumtion (C) and Investment (I), which is why there is there is not enough credit, and therefore, intrest rate should be below zero (dumb). Allow people to keep their money and they will invest, save, and spend! Supply side (truth) says, and economy is a FUNCTION OF PRODUCTIVITY x Labor x Capital, and money (or demand) has nothing to do with it. This is a paradigm shift that needs to occur in academia, because people are being lied to, and most lawmakers sadly have been brainwashed into this way of thinking, I know I was when I was and undergrad! At least McCotter realizes how Fucked bernanke's logic is, I only wish more would do the same. /written but not read.

My Business/Finance teacher and I butt heads over this every class. She's in love with Bernanke, which of course explains her obsession with the stock market. Whenever Bernanke drops the treasury rate it's like a holiday for her. Drives me nuts!

Antwan15
02-29-2012, 03:13 PM
My Business/Finance teacher and I butt heads over this every class. She's in love with Bernanke, which of course explains her obsession with the stock market. Whenever Bernanke drops the treasury rate it's like a holiday for her. Drives me nuts!

Nice! Finance teachers are ALWAYS the worst! They have spent an entire career studying how money moves, and usually know nothing about how it is created or manipulated. Their days are almost up! Keep up the good work! And if you have not chosen a course of study yet, I highly recomend economics! It will change your life!

edit: and +rep

Cody1
02-29-2012, 03:28 PM
Nice! Finance teachers are ALWAYS the worst! They have spent an entire career studying how money moves, and usually know nothing about how it is created or manipulated. Their days are almost up! Keep up the good work! And if you have not chosen a course of study yet, I highly recomend economics! It will change your life!

edit: and +rep

Yeah I give her a hard time, I was able to get her to admit that even though artificially lowering the treasury rates destroy the value of our currency and thus the wealth of the people that she still didn't care. You're EXACTLY RIGHT on this one fact, she always tells me to "follow the money". My response? "That's how bubbles are created". The class gets a kick out of it.

JJ2
02-29-2012, 03:40 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H4uL6CSiGrU

It cuts off Paul at the end. Anyone have the full video?

socal
02-29-2012, 03:43 PM
Positive press on ZH,

Ron Paul To Ben Bernanke: "People Lose Trust In The Government Because You Lie To Them About Inflation"
http://www.zerohedge.com/news/ron-paul-ben-bernanke-people-lose-trust-government-because-you-lie-them-about-inflation

http://www.zerohedge.com/sites/default/files/images/user5/imageroot/2012/02/Paul%20Silver.jpg

-----

more complete RP speaking video than one above,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n7gAgjTvtjc

dillo
02-29-2012, 03:44 PM
i like this silver backed currency idea

DEGuy
02-29-2012, 03:52 PM
i like this silver backed currency idea

Ron Paul is really just using silver as an example of a competing currency. What we really need are options for currency.

Perry
02-29-2012, 03:58 PM
Just missed a second or two. Ladies & Gentleman...President Paul!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aXXB8ETjEVc