PDA

View Full Version : The truth about college kids voting

nyrgoal99
02-29-2012, 07:32 AM
I graduated within the last 5+ years so I have some insight into this

The problem is not that the young people are not voting. The problem is that most do not change their voter ID when they go to college.

Example, I lived at a college in NJ, but my hometown was in another county. I did not reregister in my college town.

Fast forward- Many kids go out of state. So while a student may go to Michigan St, he may live in NJ and still be registered in NJ.

The rallies you see are all Paul voters. They just may not vote in the one little area where the college town is located

Lindsey
02-29-2012, 07:40 AM
I also agree with this assessment. I never changed my registration during college. I remember going home to vote on election day, because I had missed the deadline for an absentee ballot.

A. Havnes
02-29-2012, 07:44 AM
Excellent insight. I've never gone to an out-of-State college, but I definitely see the problem.

klamath
02-29-2012, 08:43 AM
True. RP does well with republican college ages voters and the large collage rallies show this, but the voters in those rallies are really spread out over 50 states.

Okie RP fan
02-29-2012, 08:56 AM
I've heard one major issue is that many college age adults don't register because they don't want jury duty. Seriously, I've heard that is a major factor in not registering.

My question is, are these people at least PfH, donating (what little they can) wearing RP shirts, setting up Youth for Ron Paul meetings, etc.? I understand many of them are busy, I am too, I'm in the current situation most of them are in as well. But, surely some of them could find something to do.

Oh, and by the way, the issue of college kids and voting is sensitive to some on here, just so you know. Some think that college kids are the golden ones who lead us into victories every election day, when that is clearly not the case.

Canderson
02-29-2012, 09:07 AM
Thats what Youth for Ron Paul chapters should be doing. Ours is working on reregistering people who either were registered in their home districts or were registered independent or democrat and putting them on an 'intent to vote' list with phone numbers so we can call them and make sure they vote. We are also growing a petition to bring Ron Paul to UC Davis. A big problem is that we have received little to no instruction from the campaign, I feel like there should be a templet based on successful Youth for Ron Paul chapters in states that have already voted.

flynn
02-29-2012, 09:15 AM
If it is the factor of changing voting ID, then shouldn't the campaign provide a do-it yourself kit to change voting registration for the young voters? Maybe host a college register party.

klamath
02-29-2012, 09:30 AM
In reality I think that young republican people are getting hammered for not voting TO much. I think that they DO vote but the pool is tapped out. There isn't enough 18 to 29 REPUBLICAN males to win an election. 8 and 12 percent PROVE this.

giovannile07
02-29-2012, 09:35 AM
I'm an out of state college student in Massachusetts, but I reside in California, but I don't have to worry because I get out of school April 27th and the primary isn't until June 5th.

I've heard one major issue is that many college age adults don't register because they don't want jury duty. Seriously, I've heard that is a major factor in not registering.

My question is, are these people at least PfH, donating (what little they can) wearing RP shirts, setting up Youth for Ron Paul meetings, etc.? I understand many of them are busy, I am too, I'm in the current situation most of them are in as well. But, surely some of them could find something to do.

Oh, and by the way, the issue of college kids and voting is sensitive to some on here, just so you know. Some think that college kids are the golden ones who lead us into victories every election day, when that is clearly not the case.
It is the case for one of these guys I know and I am pretty sure he does try to do whatever he can. I know he has donated, but I don't know why jury duty is the only thing that is stopping him, he actually goes to UC Davis I think!

Liberty74
02-29-2012, 09:37 AM
Young people just don't vote. It's a fact. Stop trying to spin it to continue a failed youth strategy.

I went to college out of state and still voted. It's not hard to do if you want to vote. I simply had a ballot mailed to me. Fill it out then mail it back. Much easier than having to drive to a voting place, wait in line, and vote.

SonofThunder
02-29-2012, 09:46 AM
I graduated in 2003 and I also agree with this assessment. I never changed my registration during college. I remember going home to vote on election day (home was only 1 hour drive,) because I had missed the deadline for an absentee ballot. (BTW I voted for Harry Browne in that election. lol.)

I think it is more about this and less about "out of state". You have to go vote in your designated precinct, which many times is far from college, even if you're in state. When I was in college, I was in state, but my voting precinct was 4 hours away from college.

The absentee ballot is the obvious answer, so there really is no excuse. I think laziness is the key, and the fact that old people have nothing better to do, especially if they are voting to keep their social security checks coming.

azxd
02-29-2012, 09:46 AM

I'd rather they study, and vote their conscious on election day, and if a college kid is attempting to be a more productive part of society, I'll not ask them or blame them for doing what they need to do to secure a more stable future.

They are not scapegoats for other frustrations.
They are the future generation of free thinkers, and they can easily develop the conclusion that those who are blaming them for societies voter shortcomings don't deserve their time.

To the OP,
You are correct that many do not vote because of geography, but looking for explanations and excuses within others does not improve the support base ... Education does !!!

azxd
02-29-2012, 09:49 AM
If it is the factor of changing voting ID, then shouldn't the campaign provide a do-it yourself kit to change voting registration for the young voters? Maybe host a college register party.Clinton understood this when he started his "Rock The Vote" campaign ;)

What have we got toward this, that is managed by the campaign ?
I have no clue !!!

Spikender
02-29-2012, 10:04 AM

I'm in college as we speak, and you are definitely right on the first point. One of my friends straight up told me he won't register just because of jury duty. I almost slapped myself in the face when he said it. I tried to reason with him, and tell him that you could be the one person to make a difference if you're called for jury duty, and also the fact that you can, you know, VOTE. But he wasn't so easily convinced. Oh well, I'm not sure who'd he'd support anyway.

splanky
02-29-2012, 10:19 AM
I graduated in 2003 and I also agree with this assessment. I never changed my registration during college. I remember going home to vote on election day (home was only 1 hour drive,) because I had missed the deadline for an absentee ballot. (BTW I voted for Harry Browne in that election. lol.)

Congrats on being a Browne voter. That makes two of us, i.e. I'd rather crumple my vote up and throw it in a dumpster than vote for our usual bent-over choices.

TheGrinch
02-29-2012, 10:23 AM
In reality I think that young republican people are getting hammered for not voting TO much. I think that they DO vote but the pool is tapped out. There isn't enough 18 to 29 REPUBLICAN males to win an election. 8 and 12 percent PROVE this.

This. It's starting to get really old to use this as an excuse... Swing groups like the youth vote are extremely important in a general election, where a vast majoirty tend to align themselves to one party, and a 5% swing can make all the difference (and this is why we frequently emphaisze Dr. Paul's electability misconception).... But in a primary? No, you've got to get the existing party behind them. There aren't enough dedicated youth votes to counteract that, even if you tap into all that support Dr. Paul.

(ETA: though I do know that apathy is an issue too, but that's far from restricted to jsut college kids. I'm sure most of us can relate, even though we've gotten past, apathy over the system).

somename043
02-29-2012, 11:04 AM
currently a college student this is completely true of all the people ive convinced to support rp only two otehrs are in state of the college im at

gerryb
02-29-2012, 12:32 PM
No, you've got to get the existing party behind them. There aren't enough dedicated youth votes to counteract that, even if you tap into all that support Dr. Paul.

This is just not true. If everyone who gave $$, or signed up as a volunteer on the campaign website simply TRIED to take over the GOP committee positions, chair, etc. -- WE would be in control of the party apparatus, and the majority of the RNC delegates. This is true of Northern Virginia, Maryland, and I'm sure of any other suburban area of the country.

The problem is, even when these folks are called or canvassed directly, a small % want to participate(10-30%).

papitosabe
02-29-2012, 01:02 PM

I know I'll take heat for this, but you don't have to go to jury duty even if you get the card unless its sent thru certified mail (which they don't). All you have to say, if they were to ask, (which they won't) is, I never rec'd it.

Mr. Perfidy
02-29-2012, 01:07 PM
yeah Ive always just ignored them. My wife also. Nothing ever happens.

Austrian Econ Disciple
02-29-2012, 01:15 PM
Never ignore jury duty! It is one of the most important ways you can effect a positive change towards liberty by the singular individual. Everyone should understand and use Jury Nullification to the full extent.

Mr. Perfidy
02-29-2012, 01:16 PM
fuck that- 2 hours on buses to wait 3 hours in a box to be told to go home

nobody's_hero
02-29-2012, 01:33 PM
fuck that- 2 hours on buses to wait 3 hours in a box to be told to go home

If it makes you that mad, declare the man not guilty (or nullify, better yet) just to get back at the bureaucrats who made you waste 5 hours of your life, lol. It's probably some stupid drug possession charge that the state officials are getting paid to prosecute while 99.999% of the rest of society has something more productive to be doing.

LibertyRevolution
02-29-2012, 01:34 PM
People come from far to go to Ron Paul rallies, not everyone you see at a rally is an actual voter of that location.
So our crowds are inflated...

Most smart/busy people find a way to avoid jury duty.. Yes this sucks, but that is why there are so many stupid jury decisions...
It is mostly the poor and under educated that get "stuck" on jury duty. I have never gotten a letter to appear for jury duty.

Jingles
02-29-2012, 01:55 PM
If Jury Duty happens, oh well, try and practice some jury nullification.

In PA you have to be registered Republican or Democrat to do an absentee ballot/vote for the primary. Dems can vote in Reps and vice-versa if I remember correctly. Just no independents. That's what I'm doing (absentee). I'm registered Republican anyways. It's not that hard, it's more of the fact that some college kids do not understand the voting process. Like seriously 75% of our time tabling on campus is explaining voting/voting laws/regulations/etc...

parocks
02-29-2012, 03:25 PM
Thats what Youth for Ron Paul chapters should be doing. Ours is working on reregistering people who either were registered in their home districts or were registered independent or democrat and putting them on an 'intent to vote' list with phone numbers so we can call them and make sure they vote. We are also growing a petition to bring Ron Paul to UC Davis. A big problem is that we have received little to no instruction from the campaign, I feel like there should be a templet based on successful Youth for Ron Paul chapters in states that have already voted.

So, what you're saying is that the official campaign is NOT putting enough effort into getting the college / youth vote? I tend to agree with this assessment.

Butchie
02-29-2012, 03:35 PM
So, what you're saying is that the official campaign is NOT putting enough effort into getting the college / youth vote? I tend to agree with this assessment.

Funny, I think they are doing to much and in doing so are ignoring the key voting blocks like seniors. Sorry to say, I think we have about all of the youth vote we are ever going to get and it's not translating into victories. I'm not bashing young people and it's great to see them all out there, but you can't just spend all your time on one group and hope to win, especially when that one group historically is the most unreliable.

mport1
02-29-2012, 03:36 PM
Yeah, I went to school in Missouri and always voted in Georgia elections.

alucard13mmfmj
02-29-2012, 03:39 PM

lol I will testify for this. I registered to vote at my community college about 4 years ago... 5 weeks later I jury duty. o_-

parocks
02-29-2012, 04:16 PM
Funny, I think they are doing to much and in doing so are ignoring the key voting blocks like seniors. Sorry to say, I think we have about all of the youth vote we are ever going to get and it's not translating into victories. I'm not bashing young people and it's great to see them all out there, but you can't just spend all your time on one group and hope to win, especially when that one group historically is the most unreliable.

Who do you think Phone From Home calls?

All that time, all that effort, all that money - that goes to calling OLD PEOPLE. NOT YOUNG PEOPLE.

The OLD PEOPLE DON'T WANT R(evol)ution.

They just DON'T.

We need Much More Extra GOTV. We aren't doing any.

And the Grassroots is FAILING.

We don't need, big signs, or persuasion at all of anybody.

We need to Get the 18-29 year olds Out To Vote.

That's it.

We Have NOT Worked Very Hard To Get Them To VOTE.

WE need to understand that Getting Them To The Polls is the Most Important thing we can do.

I have seen NOTHING that does this.

Name those projects.

What Robbie / RP08orbust / rp2012.org / Jun are doing is along those lines.

The question we have to ask is

1) How Do We Drive Up Turnout Of 18-29 Year Old Males?

parocks
02-29-2012, 04:21 PM

Yes, there should be instruction from the campaign. Yes, there should be a kit of some sort.

It shouldn't be ignored, like it has been by the campaign. College students are the ones who LIKE US. We just have to get them to the POLLS. It's not too much of an intellectual challenge, but it requires work, MONEY, and organization.

Butchie
02-29-2012, 04:54 PM
Who do you think Phone From Home calls?

All that time, all that effort, all that money - that goes to calling OLD PEOPLE. NOT YOUNG PEOPLE.

The OLD PEOPLE DON'T WANT R(evol)ution.

They just DON'T.

We need Much More Extra GOTV. We aren't doing any.

And the Grassroots is FAILING.

We don't need, big signs, or persuasion at all of anybody.

We need to Get the 18-29 year olds Out To Vote.

That's it.

We Have NOT Worked Very Hard To Get Them To VOTE.

WE need to understand that Getting Them To The Polls is the Most Important thing we can do.

I have seen NOTHING that does this.

Name those projects.

What Robbie / RP08orbust / rp2012.org / Jun are doing is along those lines.

The question we have to ask is

1) How Do We Drive Up Turnout Of 18-29 Year Old Males?

Well, that is just the point, you are marketing this whole thing to 18-29 yr old males which is a bad strategy. I don't use the word "Revolution" for the very reason you just mentioned, it turns people away or they just don't understand it. I don't see a point in continuing to appeal to the demographic that is already overwhelming ours, especially when alot of them are anarchists and don't believe in voting.

Your idea is good in spirit, but most people in that age group aren't even registered to vote and by now have missed the deadline or just won't even bother. Although I'm 36 my cousin is 20, she was at the MSU rally, I thought she was a shoe in, then I come to find out she never bothered to get her absentee ballot, face it, even the one's that mean well are just inexperienced to the process, I would have told her myself except I was so busy rounding up new people I just counted on her as "converted" and trusted her to get it done.