PDA

View Full Version : The Wacky World of the TSA

Pauliana
11-13-2007, 10:31 AM
Here's where to buy all that stuff they've confiscated off airline travellers.

http://travel.yahoo.com/p-interests-20727057%3B_ylc%3DX3oDMTFrZXJjazY1BF9TAzI3MTYxNDkE X3MDMjcxOTQ4MQRwb3MDMQRzZWMDZnAtdG9kYXltb2QEc2xrA2 xvb3Q

With some commentary about the strangest stuff they've taken. It really does turn your stomach.

Since 9/11, the Transportation Security Administration has collected tons of items at security checkpoints; in 2006 alone, screeners took in more than 13 million items. What happens to all that stuff? The TSA turns it over to state surplus property agencies, which tend to sell it online or at retail stores. (Sometimes the contraband is sold in bulk.)

The agencies say they'll reunite you with your prized pocketknife, if they can locate it. But they would much prefer that travelers figure out the rules and abide by them. "Our goal is for passengers not to bring this stuff on anymore, so we won't have to deal with it," says Steve Ekin, Georgia's surplus property division director. Here's where to look, and what you might find.

Alabama
Airports: 14 in Florida and Alabama, including Miami, Orlando, Huntsville, and Birmingham
Where to buy: eBay (seller ID: alstatesurplus)
Typical deal: Golf driver $100
Craziest items? "There are always lots of plastic fake swords that people buy at Walt Disney World, so there are probably lots of mad kids."
Info: adeca.state.al.us/surplus%20property

Georgia
Airports: Atlanta, Savannah/Hilton Head
Where to buy: Stores in Tucker (Atlanta Surplus Center, 770/414-6468); Swainsboro (Swains*boro Surplus Center, 478/289-2623); and Americus (Americus Surplus Center, 229/931-2407)
Typical deal: Hammers $3, cordless drills $10
Craziest items? "We get flatware and kitchen knives stolen from restaurants, and we've received a bowling pin, a chain saw, and a few circular saws."
Info: surplusproperty.doas.georgia.gov

Illinois
Airports: Chicago O'Hare, Chicago Midway, and occasionally four more in Illinois and Michigan
Where to buy: Auctions held at ibid.illinois.gov
Typical deal: 25 pounds of Swiss Army knives for $250
Craziest items? "On occasion, we'll see big bowie knives and ninja swords. And nunchucks--a lot of those come through."

Kentucky
Airports: Eight in various states, including Orlando and Miami (Alabama shares the loot), and Louisville
Where to buy: eBay (seller ID: kysurplus)
Typical deal: 50 Swiss Army knives for $250
Craziest items? "We've collected about 500 mini Louisville Slugger bats bought at the Louisville Slugger Museum."
Info: finance.ky.gov/internal/surplus

Oregon
Airports: Portland and Eugene
Where to buy: eBay (seller ID: oregontrail2000)
Typical deal: 10 Leatherman multitools for $75
Craziest items? "Golf clubs and machetes."
Info: oregonsurplus.com

Pennsylvania
Airports: 13 from various states, including New York JFK, Newark, Philadelphia, and Cleveland
Where to buy: eBay (seller ID: pastatesurplus)
Typical deal: Deer-hunting kit (gut-slitting knife, multitool, pocket*knife, large safety pins, rope, flashlight) for $50
Craziest items? "We've received hundreds of pairs of fuzzy handcuffs and other ... paraphernalia--I wanted to create funny Valentine's Day kits, but folks here thought taxpayers wouldn't like it."
Info: dgs.state.pa.us/surp_prop

Texas
Airports: Seven across the state, including Dallas/Fort Worth and Austin
Where to buy: Austin Storefront in Austin, 512/463-1990
Typical deal: Scissors and corkscrews 25¢, knives 50¢, multitools $2.50
Craziest items? "Brass knuckles, crutches, and piñata sticks. And we once got a cane with a knife inside it."
Info: tfc.state.tx.us/communities/supportserv/prog/statesurplus

Washington State
Airports: Seattle-Tacoma, Spokane, and Tri-Cities
Where to buy: Auburn Retail Store in Auburn, 253/333-4912
Typical deal: Corkscrews for 25¢
Craziest items? "Lots of ulus--round Eskimo chopping blades. Also, a Sit'n Putt. It's a short-handled putter designed to be used while you're on the potty."
Info: ga.wa.gov/surplus

Har har har...

ladyliberty
11-13-2007, 10:44 AM
They steal our stuff and then sell it - sounds like they are just fencing stolen property for the government!

PatriotG
11-13-2007, 11:28 AM
And where do the proceeds Go?

Charity I hope.

I would imagine the real good stuff doesnt get sold.
TSA employees probably throw the good stuff in their lockers.

Now im pissed!

PatriotG

Pauliana
11-13-2007, 11:48 AM
But they are keeping us safe from kids with plastic swords from Disney World and people using their Sit N Putt to take over the plane. Phew.

pacelli
11-13-2007, 11:55 AM
This upsets me. I had one of those empty, marked demilitarized, .44 caliber round keychains that was given to me by my best friend shortly before he died. It was the only tangible object I had from him. The TSA took it and said that there was no process for me to get it back, refused my request to have it mailed to me, and refused my request to pick it up at the airport after my trip. It was at BWI airport, which I don't see on the list.

seapilot
11-13-2007, 11:55 AM
It bugs me that they can go through your checked luggage as well. Imagine items are stolen all the time. They need to just post a sign before the security check that says THE BILL OF RIGHTS STOPS HERE. Here in Alaska we can travel in state on small commuters with out security screening. Have had hunters get off and forgot they had bullets, knives you name it. Is the flight unsafe? Probably more safe, if anyone wanted to do anything someone might have a weapon of somesort they forgot to put in thier baggage to defend with.

pacelli
11-13-2007, 12:00 PM
One thing I forgot to mention. A year ago I knew someone who worked for the baggage department of one of the major airlines at an airport in Pennsylvania. I asked him if he knew any of the TSA guys.

He told me that the TSA are all known thieves at his airport. A few had done some hard time in the past. On several occasions he mentioned that they would sit in their secret area where ALL bags are processed, go through the bags, and steal cash and other valuables. There is no way to backtrack who was working at the time your bags were processed (due to security reasons). He also told me that the TSA have the right to strip search anyone, at any time, regardless of gender. While female passengers can request a female TSA employee conduct the search, if a female TSA employee is not on-duty at the time, the search will be conducted. I also remember a news story from awhile ago mentioning that TSA were conducting strip searches in airport stairwells.

johngr
11-13-2007, 12:21 PM
They steal our stuff and then sell it - sounds like they are just fencing stolen property for the government!

It's not stolen, it's strong-arm robbed.