PDA

View Full Version : Ron Paul Supporters Run Full Pg Ad in USA Today:mentions our forum!

torchbearer
11-13-2007, 10:00 AM
http://www.freemarketnews.com/WorldNews.asp?nid=51343&fb=1

On either November 20, or 21, USA Today will be running a full-page, black and white ad in support of the campaign of presidential candidate Ron Paul (R-Tex), currently titled "An Open Letter to the American People."

The ad will be paid for by a wealthy Ron Paul supporter in Massachusetts who will be placing the ad on his own behalf and is not associated with the official campaign. The graphic design work is being provided out of NH, and the ad concept is the brain work of the team at www.ronpaulforums.com, sources said.

The black and white ad will emphasize the constitutional nature of the Ron Paul campaign and the foundations of his small-government, anti-tax and anti-foreign entanglements perspective.

Answers.com profiles USA Today as follows: “USA TODAY is the #1 daily newspaper in the US, with a circulation of 2.3 million. First published in 1982, it is available throughout the country and through international editions; the paper also published news on its popular Web site. … More than 60% of its paid circulation comes from newsstands, vending machines, and hotels. USA TODAY is owned by #1 newspaper publisher Gannett.”

kylejack
11-13-2007, 10:01 AM
Oh boy, FMNN :rolleyes:

piotr1
11-13-2007, 10:05 AM
Digg the story!! http://digg.com/2008_us_elections/Ron_Paul_Supporters_Run_Full_Pg_Ad_in_USA_Today

torchbearer
11-13-2007, 10:08 AM
Oh boy, FMNN :rolleyes:

I actually can attest to the validity of this story...In fact, I know the whole story and I can say FMNN got it right... and was nice enough to leave enough information out to leave our great hero anonymous..because the guy who back it has a huge heart and is very humble. A true patriot. This person makes me want to give that much more...its inpiring, and that is why I share it with all of you.

Thank FMNN, leave a comment.

Grandson of Liberty
11-13-2007, 10:09 AM
With all due respect to the forums, am I the only one that cringes to think the forums will be the first place newbies might come to find out about Ron Paul?

edited: I've got to read more closely. . .looks like article mentions forums, not the ad. Thrown off by title a bit.

piotr1
11-13-2007, 10:10 AM
With all due respect to the forums, am I the only one that cringes to think the forums will be the first place newbies might come to find out about Ron Paul?

?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ????????

torchbearer
11-13-2007, 10:12 AM

edited: I've got to read more closely. . .looks like article mentions forums, not the ad.

Perhaps- but these mentions are out of our control. We stayed under radar for about 7 months, but after the 5th of November, our forum has been all over the news.
So- I suggest...no use to worry about it. Its out of our control. What we can do though, is try our best to make this place "newbie" friendly. Remember you are an ambassador.

steph3n
11-13-2007, 10:12 AM

it is true the forums here are ummmmmm, offputting to some people

Grandson of Liberty
11-13-2007, 10:13 AM

Umm, have you seen some of the stuff that gets thrown out here? One particular F-bomb thread was quite entertaining and sure to delight millions of conservative voters.

slantedview
11-13-2007, 10:14 AM

well then, let's clean it up :)

awesome news.

kylejack
11-13-2007, 10:14 AM
No clean up. Mods state profanity filter will not be enabled.

torchbearer
11-13-2007, 10:16 AM

I wouldn't blame the forum, I'd blame a handfull of of non-supporters who troll and flame and verbally abuse people.
Like I said earlier... if you are worried about the conditions of the forum for new people... it is your individual responsibility to change what you can about your own behaviors... we can't do anything else about the rest...
It is in the hands of the moderators who have been very liberal in not banning people who are causing problems. Its a fine line between free discourse and tyranny.

Mark
11-13-2007, 10:16 AM
h ttp://digg.com/2008_us_elections/Ron_Paul_Supporters_Run_Full_Pg_Ad_in_USA_Today

h ttp://www.freemarketnews.com/WorldNews.asp?nid=51343&fb=1

Ron Paul Supporter(s) Run Full Pg Ad in USA Today

Tuesday, November 13, 2007 - FreeMarketNews.com

On either November 20, or 21, USA Today will be running a full-page,
black and white ad in support of the campaign of presidential candidate Ron Paul (R-Tex),
currently titled "An Open Letter to the American People."

The ad will be paid for by a wealthy Ron Paul supporter in Massachusetts
who will be placing the ad on his own behalf and is not associated with the official campaign.
The graphic design work is being provided out of NH, and the ad concept
is the brain work of the team at www.ronpaulforums.com (http://www.ronpaulforums.com), sources said.

The black and white ad will emphasize the constitutional nature of the Ron Paul campaign
and the foundations of his small-government, anti-tax and anti-foreign entanglements perspective.

Answers.com profiles USA Today as follows:

“USA TODAY is the #1 daily newspaper in the US, with a circulation of 2.3 million.

First published in 1982, it is available throughout the country and through international editions;
the paper also published news on its popular Web site.

… More than 60% of its paid circulation comes from newsstands, vending machines, and hotels.

USA TODAY is owned by #1 newspaper publisher Gannett.”

Mark
11-13-2007, 10:17 AM
I wouldn't blame the forum, I'd blame a handfull of of non-supporters who troll and flame and verbally abuse people.
Like I said earlier... if you are worried about the conditions of the forum for new people... it is your individual responsibility to change what you can about your own behaviors... we can't do anything else about the rest...
It is in the hands of the moderators who have been very liberal in not banning people who are causing problems. Its a fine line between free discourse and tyranny.

Agreed.. it's time to "grow up"

and represent the Good Doctor how.. HE.. would want us to represent him..

slantedview
11-13-2007, 10:18 AM

i meant voluntarily.

torchbearer
11-13-2007, 10:19 AM

Did you notice the thread topic is about someone coughing up a large amount of their assets to put a full page ad in the USA Today? Want to debate profanity filter, start a new thread please. And I say that with sincere respect.

Convert
11-13-2007, 10:26 AM
I'm a newbie. For the most part I've been welcomed, treated with respect, and I haven't seen undue swearing. I know some of you have seen a lot of campaign moles go through here, but accusing newbies of trolling could be off putting to them and counter productive to Dr Paul's campaign. Just saying....

werdd
11-13-2007, 10:28 AM
We need to get this to the msm.. pronto.

Mark
11-13-2007, 10:32 AM
We need to get this to the msm.. pronto.

AND..

spread the Digg on Myspace/Facebook/Meetups ect

I just bulletined on Myspace..

holla at your peeps...

kylejack
11-13-2007, 10:32 AM
Did you notice the thread topic is about someone coughing up a large amount of their assets to put a full page ad in the USA Today? Want to debate profanity filter, start a new thread please. And I say that with sincere respect.

Please note I have already thanked llepard in the original thread before FMNN posted this. I wasn't the one that started that de-rail, I just attempted to put it to rest so it wouldn't poison your thread.

torchbearer
11-13-2007, 10:35 AM
Please note I have already thanked llepard in the original thread before FMNN posted this. I wasn't the one that started that de-rail, I just attempted to put it to rest so it wouldn't poison your thread.

No Prob, I try to patrol my own thread. Another way we can fix our forum, remember, thread ownership.

Now I was of the understanding the llepard did not want this to be about him... that is why I don't tell people who did it... it really isn't important to him to get any credit and that is what makes him a great Patriot.

kylejack
11-13-2007, 10:36 AM
No Prob, I try to patrol my own thread. Another way we can fix our forum, remember, thread ownership.

Now I was of the understanding the llepard did not want this to be about him... that is why I don't tell people who did it... it really isn't important to him to get any credit and that is what makes him a great Patriot.
Well, he stated it publicly in the thread so...?

Perry
11-13-2007, 10:36 AM

edited: I've got to read more closely. . .looks like article mentions forums, not the ad. Thrown off by title a bit.

:D

torchbearer
11-13-2007, 10:37 AM
Well, he stated it publicly in the thread so...?

Its not a secret. you didn't do anything wrong by mentioning him... but i don't want people to get the idea he as some kind of big ego that requires our gratitude. Its just the opposite.

Visual
11-13-2007, 10:43 AM
Perhaps- but these mentions are out of our control. We stayed under radar for about 7 months, but after the 5th of November, our forum has been all over the news.
So- I suggest...no use to worry about it. Its out of our control. What we can do though, is try our best to make this place "newbie" friendly. Remember you are an ambassador.

Could probably use a few more mods though....

LibertyEagle
11-13-2007, 10:45 AM
Its not a secret. you didn't do anything wrong by mentioning him... but i don't want people to get the idea he as some kind of big ego that requires our gratitude. Its just the opposite.

Exactly. Llepard has done a lot more for this campaign than many of us have realized. He never has been about attention and he still isn't.

James R
11-13-2007, 10:48 AM
http://www.freemarketnews.com/WorldNews.asp?nid=51343&fb=1

On either November 20, or 21, USA Today will be running a full-page, black and white ad in support of the campaign of presidential candidate Ron Paul (R-Tex), currently titled "An Open Letter to the American People."

Is this in compliance with FEC rules? I'm concerned that our "white knight" will be sued if it does not.

ronpaulyourmom
11-13-2007, 10:49 AM
Isn't it illegal to spend that much money from a single source in support of a candidate? This seems more PAC than 527, can he really do this?

torchbearer
11-13-2007, 10:51 AM
Isn't it illegal to spend that much money from a single source in support of a candidate? This seems more PAC than 527, can he really do this?

Yes, we still have the freedom as individuals to buy ads of any dollar amount in support of anything, even political candidates, as long as you disclose who you are on the advertisement.

Mark
11-13-2007, 11:04 AM

PACs.. I believe.. (like most Charities).. are 501-C3
and 'regulated' by Federal limitations..

Thankfully.. "We The People".. can still spend as we see fit..

Mark
11-13-2007, 11:13 AM
Is this in compliance with FEC rules? I'm concerned that our "white knight" will be sued if it does not.

http://www.fec.gov/pages/brochures/fecfeca.shtml

Prohibited Contributions and Expenditures

The FECA places prohibitions on contributions and expenditures by certain individuals and organizations. The following are prohibited from making contributions or expenditures to influence federal elections:
Corporations;
Labor organizations;
Federal government contractors; and
Foreign nationals (http://www.fec.gov/pages/brochures/foreign.shtml).Furthermore, with respect to federal elections:
No one may make a contribution in another person's name.
No one may make a contribution in cash of more than $100.In addition to the above prohibitions on contributions and expenditures in federal election campaigns, the FECA also prohibits foreign nationals, national banks and other federally chartered corporations from making contributions or expenditures in connection with state and local elections.

Independent Expenditures (http://www.fec.gov/pages/brochures/indexp.shtml)

Under federal election law, an individual or group (such as a PAC) may make unlimited "independent expenditures" in connection with federal elections.
An independent expenditure is an expenditure for a communication which expressly advocates the election or defeat of a clearly identified candidate and which is made independently from the candidate's campaign. To be considered independent, the communication may not be made with the cooperation, consultation or concert with, or at the request or suggestion of, any candidate or his/her authorized committees or a political party, or any of their agents. While there is no limit on how much anyone may spend on an independent expenditure, the law does require persons making independent expenditures to report them and to disclose the sources of the funds they used. The public can review these reports (http://www.fec.gov/finance/disclosure/imaging_info.shtml) at the FEC's Public Records Office.

Mark
11-13-2007, 11:21 AM

Now.. granted.. all I did was a quick search.. :confused:

but..

I believe it's cool to spend whatever you want.. as long as it's REPORTED..

llepard
11-13-2007, 11:57 AM

Now.. granted.. all I did was a quick search.. :confused:

but..

I believe it's cool to spend whatever you want.. as long as it's REPORTED..

Thank you Mark. That is very helpful. I will report it.

Glad the First Amendment still lets a person make a personal statement!!!!

With RP as President we won't have a Federal bureaucracy nit picking our every move. The Founders would be shocked if they read the FEC rules.

RonPaulStreetTeam
11-13-2007, 12:11 PM

send newbies here, they will convert

http://ronpaulstreetteam.com/video.html

Mark
11-13-2007, 12:21 PM
Thank you Mark. That is very helpful. I will report it.

Glad the First Amendment still lets a person make a personal statement!!!!

With RP as President we won't have a Federal bureaucracy nit picking our every move. The Founders would be shocked if they read the FEC rules.

Can you believe this guy...

He's thanking ME ?????????

Any questions?

~~~~~~~

Humility - The "Power" of The Spirit

http://www.religion-cults.com/spirit/humility.htm

Humility:

St. Augustine mentions three virtues as indispensable to be moved by the Holy Spirit,
and to be filled with His Power,
and to be enkindled with The Fire of His Love.

These three virtues are humility, humility, and humility.

And what is humility?

Because it is a very special virtue, but often misunderstood.

There are three persons called "humble" in the Bible:

1- Moses: "Moses was a very humble man, more humble than any man on the face of the earth"
(Num.12:3)… And that's why God chose him to lead his people!

2- Virgin Mary: "The humble servant of the Lord"… and because of her humility,
God made great things for her,
and all generations forever will call her blessed. (Lk.1:48-49).

3- Jesus: "He humbled himself being obedient to death, even death on a cross.
That is why God exalted Him and gave Him the Name that outshines all names,
so that at The Name of Jesus all knees should bend" (Phi.2:8-10).

Man from La Mancha
11-13-2007, 02:44 PM
I hope Llepard can handle a little PR, I think he should milk this for all he can get. Not as a pat on the back good guy thing, but every TV or radio or paper interview he can do will give a lot more free PR to Ron's tea party. He can hide in the backround but if it is alright with him when the ad comes out we should all contact every media source about the $100,000 man backing Ron in the USA today. The media loves a human interest story. In fact if it is before the ad more people will look for the ad and it will increase USA Todays circulation. They should run the story just to help themselves.IMO