PDA

View Full Version : Rick Santorum Rick Santorum Regrets Saying JFK’s Religion Speech Made Him Want to ‘Throw Up’

Gravik
02-28-2012, 03:54 PM
Can you say flip-flop?

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/politics/2012/02/rick-santorum-regrets-saying-jfks-religion-speech-made-him-want-to-throw-up/

Aratus
02-28-2012, 04:00 PM
he is a complete total feckless 100% clueless idiot who has now got quite a "feedback" response
from easily most of the intelligent and well educated roman catholics of our great & wise nation?

dannno
02-28-2012, 04:03 PM
Sounds more like he has a serious reading comprehension problem.

On Sunday Santorum criticized Kennedy’s speech to the Greater Houston Ministerial Association saying he did not agree with Kennedy when he said “the separation of church and state is absolute.”

“To say that people of faith have no role in the public square? You bet that makes you throw up. What kind of country do we live that says only people of non-faith can come into the public square and make their case?” Santorum asked on “This Week.”

What the fuck is he talking about?

nano1895
02-28-2012, 05:32 PM

It seems like he doesn't even know of the saying, "separation of church and state" and it's intent when it was written by the founders. Looks like this has received some decent press as well, just turns off more independents/right leaning dems from him even further.

Aratus
02-28-2012, 05:44 PM
michigan could be decided by a feather landing on the metaphoric scales even now.
i expect that the JFK slam he did verging on slander will garner dr. ron paul delegates.

Brett85
02-28-2012, 05:47 PM
It seems like he doesn't even know of the saying, "separation of church and state" and it's intent when it was written by the founders. Looks like this has received some decent press as well, just turns off more independents/right leaning dems from him even further.

His position is exactly the same as Ron Paul's.

http://www.lewrockwell.com/paul/paul148.html

"The notion of a rigid separation between church and state has no basis in either the text of the Constitution or the writings of our Founding Fathers. On the contrary, our Founders' political views were strongly informed by their religious beliefs. Certainly the drafters of the Declaration of Independence and the Constitution, both replete with references to God, would be aghast at the federal government's hostility to religion. The establishment clause of the First Amendment was simply intended to forbid the creation of an official state church like the Church of England, not to drive religion out of public life."

Ron Paul

Cabal
02-28-2012, 06:01 PM

This is a rather typical response I have to Santorum any time he opens his mouth.

rambone
02-28-2012, 07:24 PM

Minus the vomit and divisiveness.

Brett85
02-28-2012, 07:44 PM
Minus the vomit and divisiveness.

True. Santorum probably went too far with the rhetoric he used.

alucard13mmfmj
02-28-2012, 08:29 PM
Yet... Santorum is in the lead XD... haha. Silly GOP.

HOLLYWOOD
02-28-2012, 08:39 PM
Com'on... Santorum is a frigin liar... he's a career politician, a lawyer, a swindler, a lobbyist, a fascist...

People need to stop believing anything that come out of Santorum's mouth.

nano1895
02-28-2012, 09:06 PM

"The notion of a rigid separation between church and state has no basis in either the text of the Constitution or the writings of our Founding Fathers. On the contrary, our Founders' political views were strongly informed by their religious beliefs. Certainly the drafters of the Declaration of Independence and the Constitution, both replete with references to God, would be aghast at the federal government's hostility to religion. The establishment clause of the First Amendment was simply intended to forbid the creation of an official state church like the Church of England, not to drive religion out of public life."

Ron Paul

I do not oppose RP's view on this issue, but I don't see how what Santorum was talking about has anything to do with the separation of church and state. The separation of church and state of what I understand is what you quoted, that there shall be no official national church + the first amendment. It doesn't have anything to do with with people of faith being barred from public office and I pointed out that it certainly wasn't the founder's viewpoint either.

Bruno
02-28-2012, 09:10 PM
He regrets it only in the same vein a cheater regrets cheating on his spouse, i.e., regretting getting caught doing so.

Vanilluxe
02-28-2012, 09:32 PM
You could use faith in deciding policy, but you can't make a religion official and all religion whether its christianity and Buddhism may be expressed in publicly or privately with equal opportunity.

Brett85
02-28-2012, 09:37 PM
You could use faith in deciding policy, but you can't make a religion official and all religion whether its christianity and Buddhism may be expressed in publicly or privately with equal opportunity.

I agree.

Aratus
02-28-2012, 09:39 PM
NBC broke into regular programming to call MICHIGAN for MITT ROMNEY. live and learn. JFK clearly had
the gift of gab that often only happens after kissing the Blarney Stone hundreds and hundreds of times.

Brett85
02-28-2012, 09:39 PM
I do not oppose RP's view on this issue, but I don't see how what Santorum was talking about has anything to do with the separation of church and state. The separation of church and state of what I understand is what you quoted, that there shall be no official national church + the first amendment. It doesn't have anything to do with with people of faith being barred from public office and I pointed out that it certainly wasn't the founder's viewpoint either.

Ok. Thanks for clarifying that. I thought Santorum was talking about the same thing that Ron was talking about in the article he wrote in 2003.

Feeding the Abscess
02-29-2012, 01:25 AM

Ron Paul

Ron Paul has also said the following about religion and public life:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wroE2KqS5Lo

That is the exact sentiment that surrounds JFK's speech, and is what Santorum was rejecting.

Saying that Santorum and Ron Paul agree on this issue is not correct.

PaulConventionWV
02-29-2012, 06:01 AM
Can you say flip-flop?

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/politics/2012/02/rick-santorum-regrets-saying-jfks-religion-speech-made-him-want-to-throw-up/

Santorum has such an aggressive personality, it's not even funny. I almost imagine him being like Hitler. Too far?

Aratus
02-29-2012, 06:15 AM
http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2017619849_wacaucuses28.html enjoy!!! we all here are not alone.
"God help us all if Rick Santorum gets elected Reich Chancellor." this comment is perceptive.
Dumping on JKF bad just lost him the presidency, even with Mitt's early absentee ballot lead!