PDA

View Full Version : Democrats in Michigan Voting for Santorum

02-27-2012, 11:51 PM
http://video.msnbc.msn.com/mitchell-reports/46544329/#46544329

It strikes me that this "operation chaos" on the Democratic side may actually have an effect. The 2008 Operation Chaos from Rush Limbaugh drew thousands of people to vote in Democratic primaries across the country, and while it didn't have a lot of effect, it set the precedent.

Could Santorum end up getting a boost from Democrats?

The PPP poll released tonight shows Santorum winning Democrats.

Hmm

Looky here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjgpOfT0FS8&feature=player_embedded

Santorum's campaign is embracing this and sending out robo-calls. Fascinating.

WD-NY
02-28-2012, 12:06 AM
Where's Ron Paul's speech to disaffected Democrats? Where is his argument for why 'playing politics' and voting for the worst possible option is not the way to a better and more free & prosperous America?

I've heard quite a few people in RPF make the argument that it's not ok for Ron to openly court DEM voters in open primary states because it will piss conservatives off.

These people were obviously wrong.

If Santo can do it, so can Ron.

HOLLYWOOD
02-28-2012, 12:12 AM
Doesn't matter... the Michigan Drone Democrats are told to vote for Santorum... Dick Santorum loses by a landside to Democrat Obama. Just like they want the General Election to finish.

Santorum cause the Conservatives/Republicans to lose 2012. Santorum goes back to Fascist Fox News for a Million/yr. We all lose because of Santorum.

This is why I always say, the elections are won in the Primaries, because by the time it gets to the General elections, the establishment powers have their 2 ringer candidates in the duopoly.

D.A.S.
02-28-2012, 12:21 AM
Where's Ron Paul's speech to disaffected Democrats? Where is his argument for why 'playing politics' and voting for the worst possible option is not the way to a better and more free & prosperous America?

I've heard quite a few people in RPF make the argument that it's not ok for Ron to openly court DEM voters in open primary states because it will piss conservatives off.

These people were obviously wrong.

If Santo can do it, so can Ron.

Santorum and Paul get treated very differently by the media, by the party leadership, and by the republican base. So what works for one won't necessarily work for the other.

D.A.S.
02-28-2012, 12:25 AM
And it's one thing for the Democratic leadership to ask the Dems to vote for Santorum, but it's a whole different ball game if Santorum is asking Dems to vote him for WHATEVER reason. Dems HATE Santorum, with a passion, so Rick is likely wasting his money calling them. He doesn't even understand how much the Dems loathe him and how they see him at the best possible opponent to Barack Obama in the fall -- the weakest one they could ask for! But one valuable service Rick may perform for us is to inform the Dems that the primary is open... Who knows, some Dems might actually come out for Paul. :-)

Tinnuhana
02-28-2012, 01:17 AM
So can our "steadfast" blue republicans, the ones voting for Ron because they are upset with Obama's betrayal, get the word out? Will they stay on target and not get swayed by this political ploy? Can they make inroads in the waning hours before the votes?

Pauls' Revere
02-28-2012, 01:24 AM
Can somebody please explain the arguement in favor of open primaries?

JJ2
02-28-2012, 02:54 AM
http://video.msnbc.msn.com/mitchell-reports/46544329/#46544329

It strikes me that this "operation chaos" on the Democratic side may actually have an effect. The 2008 Operation Chaos from Rush Limbaugh drew thousands of people to vote in Democratic primaries across the country, and while it didn't have a lot of effect, it set the precedent.

Could Santorum end up getting a boost from Democrats?

The PPP poll released tonight shows Santorum winning Democrats.

Hmm

Looky here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjgpOfT0FS8&feature=player_embedded

Santorum's campaign is embracing this and sending out robo-calls. Fascinating.

Wait. Santorum's campaign is sending out pro-auto-bailout robocalls? Seriously?

What's sickening is that people such as Limbaugh will be fine with Democrats who will vote for Obama in the general voting for Santorum in the primary, and yet they speak derisively and conspiratorially about Paul's voters being those same type of people (which is almost universally untrue, of course).

PolicyReader
02-28-2012, 03:18 AM
Romney losing in MI is actually a good thing for Paul (there are many reasons why Willard taking it on the chin in MI is great, momentum and electability are two of them)

Can somebody please explain the arguement in favor of open primaries?
Simple it's about the will of the people voting for a candidate who represents them, the current "two" (honestly closer to one in most ways) party system doesn't lend itself to people voting their principles, more often they vote for the "lessor of two evils" and things continue to degrade into the mire because the standards are set so low (witness the "contrast" between Obama and Romney).

That aside there's an even more compelling reason for them in battle ground states, it allows a more realistic degree of vetting before the general. In this case if there are enough voters willing to vote Santo just to keep Romney from getting the nod it shows how weak his support in MI is come the General Election. That's relevant information even for people who are only interested in making sure 'their team' wins.

The final and most important thing is that, ideally, voting would/should be about principles not party. Voters looking at what a candidate stands for on the issues and choosing who in the field most represents them. Now I admit that we're a fair pace away from that ideal at present but giving up on it without a fight is really quite a loss for this nation and as far as I can tell outweighs any short term gains that more highly restrictive practices might engender.

2c

Agorism
02-28-2012, 03:22 AM
I am hoping Mr. Nasty manages to win Michigan because I don't want Romney running away with it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N3Ijp4amV7I

PolicyReader
02-28-2012, 04:11 AM
According to this: http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?363797-Michigan-Primary-Preview
A loss in Michigan could really spell the end for Willard and while he's currently projected to have a slim (2-5%) likelihood of beating Santo there their numbers don't account for cross over democratic votes.
Here's hoping this is Willards Swan song and we get the shot to tighten up the race even more (while the straw polls are less significant that delegates we still could really use one soon and Romney imploding more would give Paul an even more open field to work with)