PDA

View Full Version : Best way to answer this?

peluski17
02-27-2012, 10:26 PM
It's late so I'm going to take a crack at answering this tomorrow. I can give reasons why I support Ron Paul - no problem, but what's the best way to convince this person that Iran is not a "real" threat? One of my first thoughts was to compare Iran to threats like Russia, China, etc just to show how silly an Iran threat is. Of course, I would also like to explain blowback, etc. Thoughts, Input, opinions, etc - feel free! The goal here is to open the person's mind and hopefully get the person to fully get behind Ron Paul.

So explain to me exactly why you support Ron Paul. In my opinion, his foreign policy is seemingly naive. I consider Iran to be a very real threat to The United States, our interest in that region and our allies-Israel.

harikaried
02-27-2012, 10:36 PM
"his foreign policy is seemingly naive"

From the NPR segment on "A Separation," an Iranian film that was the winner of Best Foreign Language Film award last night..
http://www.npr.org/2012/02/27/147523331/iran-calls-oscar-win-a-success-over-israel

ERDBRINK: People are extremely happy and extremely pleased. For many middle class Iranians, who are the largest group in this country, it is one of the first times that they actually see their own lives out there on the movie screens. These people - they tell me that this is one of the first times that they don't feel stereotyped by either their own state television that always loves to show Iranians as a nation full of fist bumping bearded men who shout, death to America, and also, the Western media that also copies the stereotype of Iranians.

It's naive to think all Iranians just want to kill Americans. Giving more power to the Iranian people through trade as opposed to strengthening the Iranian government through threats and sanctions will lead to peace faster and with fewer deaths than bombing Iran.

bubbleboy
02-27-2012, 10:45 PM
Explain how Iran is the third leading population of Jews in the world behind US and Israel.

Tell them we used to worry about military generals provoking war to make a name for themselves, now it's the politicians who are making a name for themselves provoking war.

Tell them not to believe all they hear on mainstream television. Last week it was Iran training nijas to come get us.

hammy
02-27-2012, 10:47 PM
Tell him to watch this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?&v=OYRNlDFaH9k

Game over.

TurkishMarch
02-27-2012, 11:08 PM
My personal reason for why I support Ron Paul is summarized by "peace and prosperity through liberty and adherence to the Constitution." As to his supposed naivete on Iran, there are a lot of officials and reports that support his views. I found this document (http://www.scribd.com/Silendo/d/30277432-DoD-Unclassified-Report-on-Military-Power-of-Iran) linked somewhere within the last few months, and I bookmarked it. Notice the section on Iran's conventional forces on page 7 and their nuclear status on page 10. I'm sure if you dig through LRC (www.lewrockwell.com), you'll find plenty of other sources.

Philosophy_of_Politics
02-27-2012, 11:15 PM
This is what i'd say to him.

If we go to war, we collapse economically. All other candidates support this.

If we go to war with Iran, we will get tangled up in a potential WW3, considering that Russia & China have both already warned us not to proceed with Iran (they're allied through SOC).

If we don't go to war, and bring all our resources/troops home, we can prevent economic collapse by using that money to help out the social safety net, SSI, and the economy.

Israel will take care of Iran themselves, and they're vastly more powerful than Iran.

If Israel truly needs our help, Ron Paul will properly assess the threat, and make it quick and clean without the need of spending ourselves into Oblivion.

Ron Paul doesn't want our troops to be sacrificial lambs or meat shields, when Israel has a strong and competent military.

If we collapse, we will not be able too:
-Defend Ourselves Properly (completely vulnerable)
-Defend Israel if they actually need it
-Survive nearly as easily

peluski17
02-28-2012, 08:54 PM
Thanks for the responses!