PDA

View Full Version : IL-Innocent man files suit against cops for shooting him and then withholding medical care

Anti Federalist
02-27-2012, 07:49 PM
I went back and there is nothing in the news about this when it happened.

Apparently this man was shot for holding a wrench and committing the crime of working on his car.

Chicago man files civil rights lawsuit against police

http://www.wgntv.com/news/wgntv-lawsuit-filed-against-cpd-for-2011-shooting-20120224,0,2341893.story

CHICAGO—

A federal civil rights lawsuit has been filed against the city and a group of 25th district police officers.

31-year-old Erick Fields says he was fixing his car in his own garage last year, when police snuck onto his property and shot him in the stomach. The west side Chicago man reportedly needed multiple blood transfusions and emergency surgery to save his life. And he's saddled with half-a-million dollars worth of medical bills in a shooting that his lawyer says was completely unjustified.

"The problem here is that they silently crept through his yard, onto the property of an innocent man," according to civil rights lawyer Torreya Hamilton. "And then they shot him in his own garage without warning."

Hamilton filed the civil rights lawsuit in federal court, Thursday morning.

The city has not yet been officially served with the complaint, and spokespeople with Corporation Counsel say they are not yet able to respond to the allegations.

But Hamilton says the policemen's response to the shooting was callous and irresponsible.

After failing to find a gun on Fields or any kind of weapon, instead of immediately calling an ambulance, Hamilton says, they gathered outside to "get their story straight" after realizing they'd made a terrible mistake.

"Only after they saw Erick talking to his mother on his cellphone, and taking it away from him," Hamilton alleges, "did they realize that, 'uh-oh, somebody knows about this' ... did they finally call an ambulance." Hamilton says it very nearly cost Fields his life.

Anti Federalist
02-28-2012, 07:48 AM
///

aGameOfThrones
02-28-2012, 08:05 AM
Did he attempt to flee? He was probably doing something illegal.

You know,
liberty demands zero tolerance to criminal activity.

Kylie
02-28-2012, 08:06 AM
Fucking crazy. Doesn't surprise me in the least, but it's still nuts.

Anti Federalist
02-28-2012, 08:09 AM
Did he attempt to flee? He was probably doing something illegal.

You know,

That will be all of us one day.

Shot in the back while trying to escape.

aGameOfThrones
02-28-2012, 08:13 AM

That's crazy. The cop must have had good reason to use (L)ethal force.

aGameOfThrones
02-28-2012, 08:13 AM
I don't know why it made a double post.

belian78
02-28-2012, 10:57 AM
As pathetic as it is, this is Chicago so I suspect nothing to ultimately come from this. The victim may get some paltry settlement, and the pigs will continue to be gainfully employed by the city.

oyarde
02-28-2012, 12:14 PM
As pathetic as it is, this is Chicago so I suspect nothing to ultimately come from this. The victim may get some paltry settlement, and the pigs will continue to be gainfully employed by the city. It is going to take a million just to cover his medical bills and lawyer , I hope they at least come up with that and fire the dipshit who did it.

AFPVet
02-28-2012, 12:19 PM
I'm just glad these victims are filing civil charges rather than allowing the victimization. If people continue to sue these scum, maybe that will force departments to clamp down, start citizen review boards, and clean shiza up.... Eh... wishful thinking. As for the thug who shot him, he needs to be brought up on criminal charges and fired.

phill4paul
02-28-2012, 12:30 PM
I read this insane story yesterday. Guess that officer got his 'Combat Qual.'

AFPVet
02-28-2012, 12:33 PM
I read this insane story yesterday. Guess that officer got his 'Combat Qual.'

That's fracking sick! I am disgusted with some of these new thugs they put on the street now. I would like to see how they would like a real "combat qual" by being deployed in Afghanistan!

Pericles
02-28-2012, 02:57 PM
That's fracking sick! I am disgusted with some of these new thugs they put on the street now. I would like to see how they would like a real "combat qual" by being deployed in Afghanistan!

Would their union allow that?

DamianTV
02-28-2012, 04:00 PM

Not while trying to escape. There are too many people still unaware of how dangerous the police are. The Police dont shoot you in the back for trying to escape, they simply shoot you in the back. They are allowed to lie in court, lie to obtain information, and lie in every circumstance that makes any difference. Do we really think they wont shoot us in the back and just lie to get away with it?

oyarde
02-29-2012, 12:08 AM
Not while trying to escape. There are too many people still unaware of how dangerous the police are. The Police dont shoot you in the back for trying to escape, they simply shoot you in the back. They are allowed to lie in court, lie to obtain information, and lie in every circumstance that makes any difference. Do we really think they wont shoot us in the back and just lie to get away with it? I would not turn my back on them.

azxd
02-29-2012, 01:28 AM
AF,
You obviously haven't looked at this story in the proper perspective.

what if he has just stolen nuclear weapons or the technology to make them?

VoluntaryAmerican
02-29-2012, 01:39 AM
AF,

0% Freedom = 100% Happiness 100% Security

paraphrasing from "We"

oyarde
02-29-2012, 01:50 AM
I trust nobody with nukes except myself , I will line them up in the yard , decorate them for Christmas , and it will make a very impressive swat team deterrent;)

aGameOfThrones
02-29-2012, 08:54 AM
AF,

Child kidnapper?

jkr
02-29-2012, 09:00 AM
attempted murder...anyone

anyone?