PDA

View Full Version : Romney shattering TV advertising record

frasu
11-13-2007, 09:00 AM
An article on CNN today:

WASHINGTON (CNN) – Republican presidential hopeful Mitt Romney has spent $10.2 million on television advertising this year, a record amount at this point in a presidential campaign, according to new data provided to CNN.

He is spending more than $85,000 a day — $600,000 last week alone — on campaign commercials, according to TNSMI/Campaign Media Analysis Group, CNN’s consultant on political television advertising spending. Romney’s presidential campaign commercials have aired more than 14,500 times. The closest Republican to Romney in ad spending is Arizona Sen. John McCain, who has aired more than $300,000 worth of campaign ads.

In the race for the Democratic presidential nomination, Illinois Sen. Barack Obama is leading the way with about $3.9 million spent on campaign commercials.

“Advertising is still by and large a one man band, with Romney leading the way with his record pace,” said Evan Tracey, CMAG’s chief operating officer.

The former Massachusetts governor has concentrated his ad buys in the first three early voting states of Iowa, New Hampshire, and South Carolina. But in recent months Romney has also targeted Florida – the largest state to vote before “Super Tuesday” on February 5. His commercials largely have been used to tout his conservative credentials and highlight his experience as a successful businessman and governor.

The investment has helped Romney maintain a clear lead in Iowa and position himself strongly in the other early voting states. With the race for the GOP and Democratic presidential nominations heading into the homestretch, Romney’s opponents are now starting to ramp up their own media buys. McCain is hoping to repeat history with a win in New Hampshire, and is focusing his television commercials on that state. Former Tennessee Sen. Fred Thompson and Texas Rep. Ron Paul are also now turning to television to promote their candidacies.

The GOP frontrunner in national polling, former New York City Mayor Rudy Giuliani, still has not yet turned to television to promote his campaign.

Obama has focused most of his television ad buys in Iowa, where his campaign commercials have aired more than 5,000 times. Tied for second in terms of ad spending behind Obama are New York Sen. Hillary Clinton and New Mexico Gov. Bill Richardson — both have spent more than $2.2 million.

Despite moves by some states to hold their primaries in the first few weeks of the nominating calendar, and an effort by national Democrats to increase the influence of Nevada and South Carolina in the nomination process, most of the campaign commercials have been directed at Iowa and New Hampshire voters.

“All the talk about shifting primary dates has basically put us back to where we have always been, which is a two-state advertising contest with Iowa and New Hampshire,” Tracey said.

— CNN Political Editor Mark Preston

also if you guys like to comment, here is the link of the article
h t t p://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2007/11/13/romney-shattering-tv-advertising-record/

freelance
11-13-2007, 09:07 AM
There goes the inheritance...

entropy
11-13-2007, 09:45 AM
New add by Mitt Romney

Hello America I want to buy....er I mean I want to earn your vote!

kylejack
11-13-2007, 09:47 AM
"The closest Republican to Romney in ad spending is Arizona Sen. John McCain, who has aired more than $300,000 worth of campaign ads."

??? Isn't this false? Ron Paul has spent millions already.

sergeant_x
11-13-2007, 09:56 AM
Hmm I was thinking RP has spent only couple hundred thousand on the first batch of ads. Anyone know for sure?

kylejack
11-13-2007, 10:02 AM
Hmm I was thinking RP has spent only couple hundred thousand on the first batch of ads. Anyone know for sure?

1.1 million on the NH TV ads alone, plus radio, plus Iowa ads.

werdd
11-13-2007, 10:03 AM
Mitt Romney, a great North American!

robertwerden
11-13-2007, 10:07 AM
Mitt Romney, great at spending Americas money.

Aratus
05-13-2008, 04:00 PM
blast from the past... mitt was doing this last november! ~~~ hillary clinton is now 20 million in debt... i heard this yesterday on the nbc nightly news!!!

Perry
05-13-2008, 04:25 PM
New add by Mitt Romney

Hello America I want to buy....er I mean I want to earn your vote!

It's ok to buy votes. Just ask his lawyers.