PDA

View Full Version : Guilty Until Proven Innocent - France - Every Car To Carry Breathalyzer

DamianTV
02-27-2012, 03:27 PM
http://tech.slashdot.org/story/12/02/27/1835257/frances-bold-drunk-driving-legislation---every-car-to-carry-a-breathalyzer

"It is a great irony that alcohol should be legislated into becoming man's most commonly used recreational drug, as it's the only drug that causes more harm to others than to the user. This is most evident on our roads, where even in first world countries with low road tolls, alcohol still accounts for between a third and a half of road deaths. Now France is to attempt a novel solution — from July of this year, it will become law in France to have a working breathalyzer in every car on the road, with enforcement beginning November 1."

The incentive to issue fines will always result in the issuers of the fines depriving the people of their basic human rights for the benefit of their profits. Citation has become the new Taxation, and the more ability any Govt has to issue Citations, the more incentive it will have to deprive people of their basic human rights.

youngbuck
02-27-2012, 03:55 PM
I imagine they'll do the same things here one day.

phill4paul
02-27-2012, 03:57 PM
I imagine they'll do the same things here one day.

QFT. Even if it is 'voluntary.' Want lower car insurance? Have we got a deal for you.

DamianTV
02-27-2012, 06:46 PM
QFT. Even if it is 'voluntary.' Want lower car insurance? Have we got a deal for you.

Oh yeah, you can save more money too if you "let us track you and your driving habits", which also means selling that info to anyone with two cents. That is important because you need to remember the Govt can also purchase said info, with the intention of fining anyone who has gone even so much as 0.1 miles per hour over the speed limit. All the more reason to say "Fuck a Bunch Of Computer Cars" (A.F.).

Anti Federalist
02-27-2012, 06:52 PM
I dread the day "auto drive" becomes mandatory.

seyferjm
02-27-2012, 06:54 PM
Top Gear was making fun of this on last nights episode.

Anti Federalist
02-27-2012, 07:04 PM
The incentive to issue fines will always result in the issuers of the fines depriving the people of their basic human rights for the benefit of their profits. Citation has become the new Taxation, and the more ability any Govt has to issue Citations, the more incentive it will have to deprive people of their basic human rights.

Truth.

This is as bad as private prisons.

There should never be an incentive of financial gain to deprive people of their liberty.

Anti Federalist
02-27-2012, 07:05 PM
As a practical matter, I guess a drunk has to make sure he never shuts his car off.

Or maybe, designated breathers.