PDA

View Full Version : Rough Draft video -- please critique!

Matthew Zak
02-27-2012, 02:02 PM
I will not be making any major changes. The length, most of the theme, etc are all set in stone.

But if you see any glaring mistakes, or things that could be improved please let me know. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nqX6QkBjpbA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nqX6QkBjpbA

Forgot to mention. It's a "remake" of a video I made last year. I thought I could improve it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8BDc5b3vTg

Constitutional Paulicy
02-27-2012, 02:12 PM
Wow. Never saw that. Yet I made something very similar a month ago.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=83wsBIP4Jto&feature=channel_video_title

Matthew Zak
02-27-2012, 02:29 PM
Wow. Never saw that. Yet I made something very similar a month ago.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=83wsBIP4Jto&feature=channel_video_title

Something about minds thinking alike. :P

Matthew Zak
02-27-2012, 02:51 PM
Is it pure crap?

Should I let the original video stand as is and delete the remake?

TurkishMarch
02-27-2012, 04:01 PM
I think the video is great! It's informative and emotionally effective, and I like how the Revolution and the R3vo_|ution are paralleled. I have a few comments / questions to consider:

The video mentions that European bankers and policy-makers wrote the Federal Reserve Act. Is it technically accurate to say "European bankers?" I'm almost done reading 'Creature from Jekyll Island', and he talks about how the Fed was modeled after the European central banks and was designed largely by Paul Warburg. Warburg was a recent immigrant (see 3rd paragraph) (http://www.whale.to/b/m_ch_1.html), but I'm not sure if he was a U.S. citizen or not at that point. The others, I believe, were U.S. citizens. (Though, yes, J.P. Morgan had his European roots and his people were present.) Anyhow, I understand what you're saying, but I'm not sure if saying "European bankers" is 100% accurate.

I love the part that summarizes all the Ron Paul predictions that we've come to know and love, but the last two predictions didn't follow the same pattern as the ones before it. More specifically, his predictions on the 2008 housing collapse (predicted in 2002) and the 2009 recession (predicted in 2007) don't have the summarized text.

The video gets ready to climax perfectly, but I thought that it could have included footage of larger crowds and audio of louder chants. It's still quite effective, I just thought "bigger" would have made it a little better in this case.

Again, I think it's a great video. Thanks for making it!

Philosophy_of_Politics
02-27-2012, 04:13 PM
It was a great video, to be honest. I would like to see some tidbits of Ron Paul actually speaking in between.

pipewerKz
02-27-2012, 04:28 PM
Love it. TurkishMarch gave some good suggestions.

The only thing I wasn't feeling was the transition at about 3:08. Almost seems like the video is replaying.

Matthew Zak
02-27-2012, 10:33 PM
I think the video is great! It's informative and emotionally effective, and I like how the Revolution and the R3vo_|ution are paralleled. I have a few comments / questions to consider:

The video mentions that European bankers and policy-makers wrote the Federal Reserve Act. Is it technically accurate to say "European bankers?" I'm almost done reading 'Creature from Jekyll Island', and he talks about how the Fed was modeled after the European central banks and was designed largely by Paul Warburg. Warburg was a recent immigrant (see 3rd paragraph) (http://www.whale.to/b/m_ch_1.html), but I'm not sure if he was a U.S. citizen or not at that point. The others, I believe, were U.S. citizens. (Though, yes, J.P. Morgan had his European roots and his people were present.) Anyhow, I understand what you're saying, but I'm not sure if saying "European bankers" is 100% accurate.

I love the part that summarizes all the Ron Paul predictions that we've come to know and love, but the last two predictions didn't follow the same pattern as the ones before it. More specifically, his predictions on the 2008 housing collapse (predicted in 2002) and the 2009 recession (predicted in 2007) don't have the summarized text.

The video gets ready to climax perfectly, but I thought that it could have included footage of larger crowds and audio of louder chants. It's still quite effective, I just thought "bigger" would have made it a little better in this case.

Again, I think it's a great video. Thanks for making it!

Thank you for the input.

After ya edit/play/edit/play hundreds of times it gets difficult to feel the same about a frame, or a video... after a while ya just start filling things in hoping it's good when you've become desensitized.

I used at laest a dozen different clips of Ron Paul crowds in there... which ones were you thinking specifically (at what time) could be replaced? And if you know of a clip that could go in it's place, I would happily toss it in there. :)

I can turn the audio up for the chants pretty easily. I was just trying to avoid making it too loud, which is easy to do. :P

I agree the summary of the last couple of predictions didn't really match the first, I guess I was trying to save time, but I think I can figure out a way to move other things down and expand on those a bit.

Thanks!

Matthew Zak
02-27-2012, 10:35 PM
Love it. TurkishMarch gave some good suggestions.

The only thing I wasn't feeling was the transition at about 3:08. Almost seems like the video is replaying.

Damn, yeah I feel that way too. I kind of wanted it to feel almost like a replay, but I wanted it to be in an obvious (look how similar now is to then) kind of way. I'll try using a different clip and see if that makes it more of a refreshing transition.

Thanks!

Matthew Zak
02-27-2012, 10:36 PM
It was a great video, to be honest. I would like to see some tidbits of Ron Paul actually speaking in between.

Ron Paul could easily go 8 minutes deep on one subject alone... do you know of any concise clips of him making a solid point that goes with the theme of the video? I'm sure they're out there I just.... can't think of where to look.

Edu
02-27-2012, 11:36 PM
At 2:11 - is that a guy in a dress? (also at 6:48)

Just a suggestion: People who watch videos don't like to read. Just saying. Find a good voice guy, there's got to be some good ones on this forum.

Needs to be shorter, people don't have a lot of time, got to go watch American Idol or something you know...

You could actually title this "parallels" and switch back and forth sort of like you do near the end and show how history is repeating itself.

Production quality is good of course. Didn't see anything bad in that area.

Gravik
02-28-2012, 12:46 AM
OP, how did you make this video? What software did you use???

TurkishMarch
02-28-2012, 12:50 AM
Thank you for the input.

After ya edit/play/edit/play hundreds of times it gets difficult to feel the same about a frame, or a video... after a while ya just start filling things in hoping it's good when you've become desensitized.

I used at laest a dozen different clips of Ron Paul crowds in there... which ones were you thinking specifically (at what time) could be replaced? And if you know of a clip that could go in it's place, I would happily toss it in there. :)

I can turn the audio up for the chants pretty easily. I was just trying to avoid making it too loud, which is easy to do. :P

I agree the summary of the last couple of predictions didn't really match the first, I guess I was trying to save time, but I think I can figure out a way to move other things down and expand on those a bit.

Thanks!

I understand the fatigue you're talking about. The part that stood out to me the most was right at 5:58 - I thought that the number of voices didn't do justice for the climax (though perhaps a volume boost would help). Some of the scenes at the times below felt a little claustrophobic / too up-close or didn't seem to build momentum. (I should take this time to say that while I'm a detail-oriented person, I have absolutely no experience critiquing this sort of thing, so take this with a grain of salt.) The following, I think could benefit from wider views that show more people or something different:

6:11-6:12 - RP waving, with lady in red in foreground
6:33-6:36 (minus the flashback clip) - Various sign wavings
6:39-6:41 - RP shaking hands
6:44-6:45 - Two RP signs, showing wall and ceiling
6:48-6:50 - Crowd then pan to RP
6:53-6:54 - View from crowd of RP on stage
6:59-7:00 - RP in room

Here's some fodder to get you started, if you feel like making any adjustments:

The Veterans for Ron Paul clips should have a lot of powerful moments:
This one (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cAfGTb2YAIA) starts off with a good "President Paul" and has some super-intimidating "End the Fed" chants as well. (Helicopter Ben should be shaking in his boots.) This one (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9yewKCcFSvQ) has some great parts as well.

You can hear a lot of enthusiasm in the New Hampshire speech:
Clips (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s8V79d0qFLI) (Maybe "President Paul" would be a good replacement for the audio at 5:58?)
Full (www.youtube.com/watch?v=Da6irSCvnZY)

And here (www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9iEtZnrb3M)'s the MSU Crowd going nuts.

I gotta' go to bed now...

Barrex
02-28-2012, 01:07 AM
I watched old one long time ago.
I liked both.
Maybe you could:
-make it shorter (dont cut Ron Paul part but animation of houses being built and ships are too long). First 3:43 are way too long and should be just short introduction and not take half of a video.
-I love history and I have read a lot of book and can you show me reference "News of tyranny spread quickly via a sophisticated network of communications" because I never heard of it.
-at 4:45 map is not that clearly seen and people will not know what it is.
-6:00 Few people are cheering Ron Paul revolution. Legalize the constitution. Can you find where thousand cheer and not just few?
-Make Rons voice at 6:03 "for liberty" louder
-more pictures of huuuge crowds

In case my post made you depressive:You got talent and I liked both videos ;)

J_White
02-28-2012, 02:47 AM
Around 5:15, why did u leave out the sentence "Ron Paul warned about the coming housing bubble and recession" ? you just mentioned "housing bubble" and recession separately.
the part with Dr.Paul saying few sentences would be great, but would probably increase the time.

Matthew Zak
02-28-2012, 04:14 PM
I watched old one long time ago.
I liked both.
Maybe you could:
-make it shorter (dont cut Ron Paul part but animation of houses being built and ships are too long). First 3:43 are way too long and should be just short introduction and not take half of a video.
-I love history and I have read a lot of book and can you show me reference "News of tyranny spread quickly via a sophisticated network of communications" because I never heard of it.
-at 4:45 map is not that clearly seen and people will not know what it is.
-6:00 Few people are cheering Ron Paul revolution. Legalize the constitution. Can you find where thousand cheer and not just few?
-Make Rons voice at 6:03 "for liberty" louder
-more pictures of huuuge crowds

In case my post made you depressive:You got talent and I liked both videos ;)

I got a lot of it from America: Story of us, from the history channel. If you watch the first two episodes, it goes over the sophisticated communications network. They were basically just saying that the colonists had a really efficient (for the time) networking "plan" to spread news and propaganda quickly.

I agree with everything you said. I've kind of stalled out on resources and inspiration. It had gotten to th point where I was spending more and more time looking, and less and less time doing.

Any help, any addition that you want to link me to, I will feel invigorated by. :)

Matthew Zak
02-28-2012, 04:26 PM
OP, how did you make this video? What software did you use???

Adobe Premiere Pro. That's it.

helmuth_hubener
02-28-2012, 05:11 PM
The transition at 3:08: Just add Today people from all over the world still come...

Right before that, you might also add two seconds about winning the war. Such as "And prevailed," or "becoming a free nation," or "and after a long struggle/hard-fought war, America became free and independent." You've been going through so slowly, year by year of the revolution, it's something of a shock to suddenly stop at 1776 unless you put something like this to wrap it up.

Adding the "Today" is clearly best, because all the graphics are of present day, not 1776-1913. So, you also have to take out the big "1913" date when starting to talk about the Federal Reserve, otherwise it's a confusing flash-back. Instead, put some kind of "But". Such as, "But not everyone was content to let Americans be free and prosperous" over top the ominous Fed building. Then you go on to the "British bankers" slide and continue everything else exactly the same.

I think these changes would fix everything. Very nice video, good job. I had seen it before, but forgot about it.

You could also replace the graphic at 5:26 with something covering the whole nation or world instead of just the colonies, such as the map here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_WaJkZmIrSU) at 41 seconds.

Also, you're using the people under the freeway overpass multiple times, maybe raising the question in the viewer's mind of if that was the biggest Ron Paul rally ever or something. So you could replace it with the clip from Nashville of the crowd walking up the step (storming the establishment!) or of the recent Michigan State Rally, or a million other choices.