PDA

View Full Version : Detroit News: Crowds in state give Ron Paul rousing welcome

sailingaway
02-27-2012, 12:07 AM
http://cmsimg.detnews.com/apps/pbcsi.dll/bilde?Site=C3&Date=20120227&Category=POLITICS01&ArtNo=202270346&Ref=AR&MaxW=640&Border=0&Crowds-state-give-Ron-Paul-rousing-welcome

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20120227/POLITICS01/202270346/Crowds-state-give-Ron-Paul-rousing-welcome?odyssey=mod%7Cnewswell%7Ctext%7CFRONTPAGE% 7Cp

dancjm
02-27-2012, 12:32 AM
Hudsonville— Lisa Wallace slipped into a floral print dress, put her two boxers in the car and left her home in the Manistee National Forest on Sunday for the journey of her life.

As a researcher for the Michigan Small Business Owners for Ron Paul and a "big time" supporter, Wallace had been invited to be on stage during the GOP presidential candidate's campaign stop near Grand Rapids.

"I am writing his name in if he doesn't get the nomination," said Wallace, who hoped to shake Paul's hand.

"I love his message of freedom. I'm tired of all the wars, foreign aid, excess spending and restrictions on our personal liberties."

"He's my hero. He's been my hero for over 20 years."

Paul was stumping at the Pinnacle Center, near Grand Rapids. It was his second day of campaigning in Michigan before the state's primary Tuesday, where a recent poll showed him behind the three other Republican candidates.

In his stop here, he touched on familiar libertarian messages: cutting federal spending, ending foreign entanglements and promoting personal liberty.

"We need to mind our own business," he said when he took the stage. "You don't have to give up liberties to be safe."

Hundreds of people lined up for hours to hear the maverick U.S. representative from Texas, and some were turned away. First in line was Erik Varvir, 49, who has been following Paul for 30 years.

"He's real," said Varvir, a resident of Zeeland, south of Grand Rapids. "His integrity is stellar, not only as a congressman but as a man in general. His policies make complete sense for the present and the future of this country."

Before his speech, Grand Rapids resident Laural Meyerholtz made sure to stock up on facial tissues.

"I'd better bring some Kleenex because I'm going to cry when I see him," said Meyerholtz, 58. "I love him. I just do."

About 1,300 people crowded into the conference center. Most stood. Pop singer Aimee Allen's "Ron Paul Revolution Theme Song" rang out before Paul entered the room.

"I am so glad to see so many of you," Paul said as he took the stage. To get the nation back on track, the government has to change on many levels, he said. But the people have to change, too.

"We have to change people's attitudes about what the role of government is," said Paul.

Paul spoke for nearly an hour, during which the crowd erupted into chants of "Ron Paul" and "End the Fed."

He touched on what he considers a failed national drug policy, an unpatriotic Patriot Act and an end to foreign aid.

Paul told the crowd it needs to bear the responsibility of his message, if they are believers and want it to prevail in the future. He encouraged supporters to educate themselves on the issues so they can hone their arguments.

"It will change," Paul said. "We can't say this is going to be easy. Those who are in charge and who have controlled the money system and controlled the financial system and controlled the military and foreign policy will not go away quietly.

"The opposition will not accept the moral or constitutional arguments, but they will not be able to get away from the economics argument because this can't go on because we won't have the money to pursue these policies."

Many were thrilled afterward.

"This is like a dream come true for me," said Janet Tlapek, a libertarian since 1979. "I never knew there were so many people in favor of liberty."

She has watched the movement pick up momentum for decades and notes that he attracts people from different political leanings, and economic and social groups.

"You know how he says, 'Freedom brings people together,'" Tlapek said. "That's what it is."

The Ron Paul Michigan tour kicked off Saturday at Central Michigan University night where the student-heavy crowd wrapped along the snow-lined sidewalks waiting to get a chance to see a politician who is older their than some of their grandfathers.

Kevin Stobbe, 21, a CMU student from Romulus, arrived at the 6 p.m. rally at 2:30 p.m. to ensure he could get in to see the only politician who has ever inspired him.

"It was beyond worth the wait, being right there, like, Ron Paul was right there!" said an awestruck Stobbe, with an orange spiked mohawk. "That message of freedom — it was just so empowering." Paul's campaign continues today with stops in Detroit, East Lansing and Dearborn.

:D

Sola_Fide
02-27-2012, 12:50 AM
Great article!

jay_dub
02-27-2012, 01:45 AM
"The opposition will not accept the moral or constitutional arguments, but they will not be able to get away from the economics argument because this can't go on because we won't have the money to pursue these policies."

Good to see Ron making this type comment. It's an appeal to people's common sense rather than ideals. Time to get down to brass tacks. We've got an election to win! :D