PDA

View Full Version : Romney - I have friends who own NASCAR teams

Anti Federalist
02-26-2012, 11:52 PM
LoL - Giving new life to Ann Richards old quip about "being born with a silver foot in his mouth".

Romney: I have friends who own NASCAR teams

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-503544_162-57385498-503544/romney-i-have-friends-who-own-nascar-teams/

Mitt Romney went to the Daytona 500 NASCAR race Sunday for what should have been a chance to show he's one of the guys. Instead, in casual conversation with an Associated Press reporter at the Florida track, he reminded people once again that he is not exactly a regular Joe.

Asked by the AP reporter if he follows NASCAR, Romney responded, "Not as closely as some of the most ardent fans. But I have some great friends who are NASCAR team owners."

Democrats and liberals quickly ridiculed the remark on Twitter. "I don't know people who fish but I know people who own yachts," tweeted Brad Woodhouse, communications director of the Democratic National Committee. Ari Melber, a writer for the liberal Nation magazine who apparently was watching the Oscars, tweeted: "Do I like movies? Well I have some friends who own movie companies."

Special Section: Campaign 2012

It was the second time in three days that Romney, a former CEO and former Massachusetts governor who is worth up to $250 million, stepped on his message with an offhand remark that backfired. After giving an economic speech at Ford Field in Detroit on Friday, he ignited a media eruption by mentioning at least four cars he owns and saying his wife Ann drives "a couple of Cadillacs."

"Governor, can you understand why some voters would be put off by those things?" Fox News Sunday host Chris Wallace asked Romney on Sunday morning. "I can't be perfect. I just am who I am," Romney responded.

He demonstrated that at the race track, where he chatted about visiting the work space of team owner Richard Childress and recalled childhood memories from races. "I go back to the 1960s, back then when you had guys like Bobby Allison driving, they were driving stock cars," Romney said. "Maybe they'd taken out the passenger seat and the back seat so they can put in a restraint system and a fire extinguisher. But now these cars really are built from the group up entirely by the teams themselves." He said he had recently spoken to Allison, who endorsed him in Sumter, S.C., on January 15.

For Romney, it was just his world and his friends. For Democrats, it was a political opportunity. "This is just the latest example of how out of touch Mitt Romney is from the average American experience. From an economic plan that provides tax cuts to line the pockets of his friends -- like those who own NASCAR teams -- to wanting Wall Street to write its own rules, Mitt Romney just doesn't get it and won't work to restore economic security for the middle class," said DNC press secretary Melanie Roussell.

Anti Federalist
02-26-2012, 11:59 PM
Fake:

http://cdn.crooksandliars.com/files/movieimages/2011/11/22344.jpg?key=1320707272

Real:

http://www.dailypaul.com/files/images/matt-6.jpg

Anti Federalist
02-27-2012, 10:04 AM
///

azxd
02-27-2012, 10:10 AM
Romney has foot in mouth disease.

phill4paul
02-27-2012, 10:18 AM
It is so apparent that Ron Paul is a 'man of the people' that these other yahoos would be laughable if they weren't so dangerous.

Anti Federalist
02-27-2012, 10:19 AM
It is so apparent that Ron Paul is a 'man of the people' that these other yahoos would be laughable if they weren't so dangerous.

Mittens couldn't even get Ron's tractor started...

bolil
02-27-2012, 10:22 AM
Not without wearing himself. He might get a callous or break a nail.

Bruno
02-27-2012, 10:25 AM

True. But he's good friends with the people who own John Deere, Case, and Kubota, so he could probably call one of them to fly someone in to get Ron's started if it came to that.

Anti Federalist
02-27-2012, 10:27 AM
True. But he's good friends with the people who own John Deere, Case, and Kubota, so he could probably call one of them to fly someone in to get Ron's started if it came to that.

Or just call his pal Doug Oberhelman (that's the CEO of Caterpillar) and have a new one dropped off.

PaulConventionWV
02-27-2012, 11:08 AM
LoL - Giving new life to Ann Richards old quip about "being born with a silver foot in his mouth".

Romney: I have friends who own NASCAR teams

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-503544_162-57385498-503544/romney-i-have-friends-who-own-nascar-teams/

Mitt Romney went to the Daytona 500 NASCAR race Sunday for what should have been a chance to show he's one of the guys. Instead, in casual conversation with an Associated Press reporter at the Florida track, he reminded people once again that he is not exactly a regular Joe.

Asked by the AP reporter if he follows NASCAR, Romney responded, "Not as closely as some of the most ardent fans. But I have some great friends who are NASCAR team owners."

Democrats and liberals quickly ridiculed the remark on Twitter. "I don't know people who fish but I know people who own yachts," tweeted Brad Woodhouse, communications director of the Democratic National Committee. Ari Melber, a writer for the liberal Nation magazine who apparently was watching the Oscars, tweeted: "Do I like movies? Well I have some friends who own movie companies."

Special Section: Campaign 2012

It was the second time in three days that Romney, a former CEO and former Massachusetts governor who is worth up to $250 million, stepped on his message with an offhand remark that backfired. After giving an economic speech at Ford Field in Detroit on Friday, he ignited a media eruption by mentioning at least four cars he owns and saying his wife Ann drives "a couple of Cadillacs."

"Governor, can you understand why some voters would be put off by those things?" Fox News Sunday host Chris Wallace asked Romney on Sunday morning. "I can't be perfect. I just am who I am," Romney responded.

He demonstrated that at the race track, where he chatted about visiting the work space of team owner Richard Childress and recalled childhood memories from races. "I go back to the 1960s, back then when you had guys like Bobby Allison driving, they were driving stock cars," Romney said. "Maybe they'd taken out the passenger seat and the back seat so they can put in a restraint system and a fire extinguisher. But now these cars really are built from the group up entirely by the teams themselves." He said he had recently spoken to Allison, who endorsed him in Sumter, S.C., on January 15.

For Romney, it was just his world and his friends. For Democrats, it was a political opportunity. "This is just the latest example of how out of touch Mitt Romney is from the average American experience. From an economic plan that provides tax cuts to line the pockets of his friends -- like those who own NASCAR teams -- to wanting Wall Street to write its own rules, Mitt Romney just doesn't get it and won't work to restore economic security for the middle class," said DNC press secretary Melanie Roussell.

Damn, this guy just can't help himself! There are so many instances of Romney saying similarly ridiculously elitist things that it's starting to actually be relevant. If he said it once, it's one thing, but when he just can't help referring to all his wealth and all his wealthy friends by accident, you have to suspect something.

PaulConventionWV
02-27-2012, 11:11 AM
Or just call his pal Doug Oberhelman (that's the CEO of Caterpillar) and have a new one dropped off.

A Romney certified one.

Anti Federalist
02-27-2012, 11:12 AM
Damn, this guy just can't help himself! There are so many instances of Romney saying similarly ridiculously elitist things that it's starting to actually be relevant. If he said it once, it's one thing, but when he just can't help referring to all his wealth and all his wealthy friends by accident, you have to suspect something.

When you have a 5 million dollar summer "camp" house, that should be a tip off as well.

I certainly don't begrudge him his wealth, good for him.

But the fakey phony fraud "friend of the working man" schtick is laughable.

brandon
02-27-2012, 11:13 AM
meh, this is really weak to try and attack him over this.

Sullivan*
02-27-2012, 12:07 PM
I wouldn't be able to start his tractor, mainly because I've only got experience with a mid-80's John Deere and never knew Ford made tractors.

Anti Federalist
02-27-2012, 12:15 PM
I wouldn't be able to start his tractor, mainly because I've only got experience with a mid-80's John Deere and never knew Ford made tractors.

What?

Never knew Ford made tractors???

http://www.oldfordtractors.com/id/53jubilee.jpg

The Ford N-Series tractor was a range of farm tractors produced by Ford between 1939 and 1954 spanning the 9N, 2N, 8N and NAA models.

The 9N, produced by Ford-Ferguson, introduced the first three-point hitch system on American-made tractors, a design which is still utilized on most modern tractors today. The 2N was an updated version of the 9N with minor improvements introduced in 1941. The 8N debuted in 1947, a largely new machine featuring more power and an improved transmission which proved to be the most popular farm tractor of all time in North America.

tfurrh
02-27-2012, 12:20 PM
Mitt's hizzy
http://i2.cdn.turner.com/money/galleries/2012/real_estate/1201/gallery.candidate-homes/images/mitt-romney.gi.jpg

Ron's hizzy
http://i2.cdn.turner.com/money/galleries/2012/real_estate/1201/gallery.candidate-homes/images/ron-paul.gi.jpg

specsaregood
02-27-2012, 12:31 PM

Hell ron probably starts his with shotgun shells.

Anti Federalist
02-27-2012, 12:36 PM
Hell ron probably starts his with shotgun shells.

Oh, I gotta post that now.

Go to 2:00 to see the start.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VEurohAwrmA&feature=related

Anti Federalist
02-27-2012, 12:40 PM
Mitt's hizzy
http://i2.cdn.turner.com/money/galleries/2012/real_estate/1201/gallery.candidate-homes/images/mitt-romney.gi.jpg

Mutt's summer NH crib.

Shizzle...

http://i965.photobucket.com/albums/ae131/RattlesnakeGal/June%202011/MittRomneyLakeHouse.jpg?t=1314105729

pcosmar
02-27-2012, 12:57 PM

A local friend tells me "Stay away from those green ones,, they ain't ripe".

Mine
http://farm1.staticflickr.com/62/155591308_5dea018982_b.jpg

PaulConventionWV
02-27-2012, 02:00 PM
When you have a 5 million dollar summer "camp" house, that should be a tip off as well.

I certainly don't begrudge him his wealth, good for him.

But the fakey phony fraud "friend of the working man" schtick is laughable.

It really is. I wonder if he really thinks he's fooling anyone when he tries to modify his appearance in public places to look like the common man's man. He should just own up to the fact that he's an elitist jerk, and I bet most people would respect him just a little bit more for not trying to be a phony working man.

oyarde
02-28-2012, 11:35 AM
What?

Never knew Ford made tractors???

http://www.oldfordtractors.com/id/53jubilee.jpg

The Ford N-Series tractor was a range of farm tractors produced by Ford between 1939 and 1954 spanning the 9N, 2N, 8N and NAA models.

The 9N, produced by Ford-Ferguson, introduced the first three-point hitch system on American-made tractors, a design which is still utilized on most modern tractors today. The 2N was an updated version of the 9N with minor improvements introduced in 1941. The 8N debuted in 1947, a largely new machine featuring more power and an improved transmission which proved to be the most popular farm tractor of all time in North America. We had four Internationals ( A , M's & H ) and a Deere , but I would see one of those old Fords on just about any farm I would stop at.

oyarde
02-28-2012, 11:41 AM
On a side note , I see desiel was back to $4 where I live since Sunday.

Philhelm
02-28-2012, 01:02 PM

I know a few guys that own gas companies.

pcosmar
02-28-2012, 01:12 PM

Just paid $3.48 for off road. Been holding at that for some time here.

oyarde
02-29-2012, 12:14 AM
Just paid $3.48 for off road. Been holding at that for some time here. Where I am , today , gas 3.86 , deseil 4 , premium gas 4.07 , kerosene 4.30 , lp gas , if you locked it in last summer , 2.29 , thank goodness I use wood.

oyarde
02-29-2012, 12:22 AM
Of course , tax in that 3.86 isprobably around 61 cents , Federal tax , State tax ( varies by state ), inspection tax ( minimal ) and sales tax , the govt makes more off of it than anyone . The cigarettes I smoke , same . 4.55 , all but 2.00 is tax , Federal tax , State tax , sales tax. The guy that grows it , the company that makes it , the guy that sells it have to split 44 % , the rest belongs to govt.