PDA

View Full Version : Almost no Ron Paul supporters in WA realize there is no primary

rp08orbust
02-26-2012, 08:17 PM
Based on follow-up calls to Ron Paul supporters identified in the robopoll I'm doing for Grassroots for Liberty, almost no Ron Paul supporters in Washington realize that the caucus on Saturday is their only chance to vote for Ron Paul for the Republican nomination and that there is no primary. Most are waiting for a primary ballot in the mail!

One thing this implies is that the Ron Paul campaign has not reached the vast majority of Ron Paul supporters identified in my robopolls.

Never mind the contest we're doing--there remains a massive amount of basic outreach to Ron Paul supporters in Washington that could be done to boost turnout for Ron Paul in the caucus. Please donate to the super PAC at rp2012.org . There are millions of phone numbers left to call, and we will identify all the Ron Paul supporters we can before Friday. For any that we are unable to follow up with using our volunteer phonebankers, we will hire a call center to contact them and inform them about the caucus.

harikaried
02-26-2012, 08:29 PM
I guess just for some context, it seems like there was a primary and caucus at one point, but the primary got canceled to save $10m for the state. Now there's just the smaller/local caucuses that are cheaper for Washington.

The only way for Washington people to vote for Ron Paul is at 10am Saturday March 3rd at the precinct caucuses.

RDM
02-26-2012, 08:29 PM
Oh boy. This ought to be good.

rp08orbust
02-26-2012, 08:32 PM
Oh boy. This ought to be good.

Hopefully it's this bad for the other candidates.

tsai3904
02-26-2012, 08:35 PM
This isn't just a Washington problem. I'm guessing our supporters more than other candidates' supporters are less aware of when their election is, whether or not they need to be registered Republican, and when the deadline to register is. This is because our supporters are younger, not registered Republican and not involved in their local GOP (where election announcements are usually made).

sailingaway
02-26-2012, 08:37 PM
This isn't just a Washington problem. I'm guessing our supporters more than other candidates' supporters are less aware of when their election is, whether or not they need to be registered Republican, and when the deadline to register is. This is because our supporters are younger, not registered Republican and not involved in their local GOP (where election announcements are usually made).

Yeah. Part of having a candidate who is pied piper to the apathetic is the new supporters don't habitually vote and need to be told how to do that.

PolicyReader
02-26-2012, 08:42 PM
We also have supporters who haven't been involved in politics for awhile, till the good doctor came along, and they're also at risk for not being properly updated as things shift. That's why things like updates here, meetup groups, etc are so important. I'd rather hear 30 times about an event I already know of than miss something important because I didn't learn about it in time.

Icymudpuppy
02-26-2012, 08:50 PM
Most people in washington regardless of their candidate are unaware of the caucus process. We have had a primary ballot every year up until this year. I think it will actually work out quite well for us.

jemuf
02-26-2012, 08:53 PM
Based on follow-up calls to Ron Paul supporters identified in the robopoll I'm doing for Grassroots for Liberty, almost no Ron Paul supporters in Washington realize that the caucus on Saturday is t...

...AC at rp2012.org . There are millions of phone numbers left to call, and we will identify all the Ron Paul supporters we can before Friday. For any that we are unable to follow up with using our volunteer phonebankers, we will hire a call center to contact them and inform them about the caucus.

I went to the Richland WA townhall last week. Dr. Paul's speech was given in a vacuum: Dr. Paul arrived, spoke, and was gone. That's all.

Rallies/townhalls should be 2 hour events where Dr. Paul is one part of the event. Before and after Dr. Paul's speech should be education, information, and motivation.

In fairness there were several young guys handing out fliers with some caucus info for a few counties and everyone had to sign in. Because I was a Paul supporter and informed about the caucus no one had to waste their time with me, so I don't know what the volunteers' efforts actually consisted of.

But if you can imagine a handful of guys trying to educate and inform over 1000 people as they are arriving then you can imagine how effective it was.

Luieburger
02-26-2012, 08:54 PM
I sent out an e-mail broadcast to the supporters in my district about this, but I'll make sure to re-enforce it strongly.

RDM
02-26-2012, 08:55 PM
Ok. I have a idea, not sure if its good or not. When people sign up for this forum, I see most people in their profile list their town and state. I know some don't, but could we get the forum leaders to compile all registered users listed in Washington and send them a email with voting info for caucus plus stress in the email to contact every person they know in their "circle of influence" i.e. friends, family, co-workers, etc. ASAP.

This last minute crap of scrambling around and getting people informed and involved without any heads up, just like what happened in PA is getting old.

floridasun1983
02-26-2012, 08:57 PM
A blimp with the caucus date and time could help educate the masses....

RDM
02-26-2012, 08:59 PM
I went to the Richland WA townhall last week. Dr. Paul's speech was given in a vacuum: Dr. Paul arrived, spoke, and was gone. That's all.

Rallies/townhalls should be 2 hour events where Dr. Paul is one part of the event. Before and after Dr. Paul's speech should be education, information, and motivation.

In fairness there were several young guys handing out fliers with some caucus info for a few counties and everyone had to sign in. Because I was a Paul supporter and informed about the caucus no one had to waste their time with me, so I don't know what the volunteers' efforts actually consisted of.

But if you can imagine a handful of guys trying to educate and inform over 1000 people as they are arriving then you can imagine how effective it was.

The more I see this kind of crap happening, the more I'm getting convinced the campaign is still treating this like a education campaign and not about winning. Oh, I know I'm going to get flamed for this.

Highstreet
02-26-2012, 09:58 PM
The more I see this kind of crap happening, the more I'm getting convinced the campaign is still treating this like a education campaign and not about winning. Oh, I know I'm going to get flamed for this.

In the run up to Super Tuesday, I think even the campaign doesn't have the resources or time to micromanage this kind of GOTV effort.

RDM
02-26-2012, 11:26 PM
In the run up to Super Tuesday, I think even the campaign doesn't have the resources or time to micromanage this kind of GOTV effort.

How much resources would it take to have a team of say 5-10 people who follow Ron around like a shadow to every speaking event he attends, prepared with literature, registration cards, caucus info, etc. If not be a traveling team, at least have a team in place in that state or town where he'll be, ready and prepared to perform those duties. Geez, it doesn't cost that damn much.

Keith and stuff
02-26-2012, 11:37 PM
The official YFP effort is from Sunday, Feb. 26th to Saturday, Mar. 3rd. These volunteers just started folks. Give them time :)

D.A.S.
02-26-2012, 11:47 PM
Ok. I have a idea, not sure if its good or not. When people sign up for this forum, I see most people in their profile list their town and state. I know some don't, but could we get the forum leaders to compile all registered users listed in Washington and send them a email with voting info for caucus plus stress in the email to contact every person they know in their "circle of influence" i.e. friends, family, co-workers, etc. ASAP.

This last minute crap of scrambling around and getting people informed and involved without any heads up, just like what happened in PA is getting old.

This is exactly why we founded www.RonPaulCountry.com, but it never went viral, and it's a huge lost opportunity for the Paul grassroots -- because we could have really helped GOTV if we at least had thousands of people registered with us from every state, but alas... Wasn't for the lack of us trying to convince people to get on board, though.

RPit
02-26-2012, 11:53 PM
Well I've been with the campaign and doing phonebanking at their HQ's...

Since our goal is to get out the vote, then it is natural that we start calling with actual caucus goers, and Ron Paul supporters who have caucused before. And that is what we have been doing. But we have started calling everyone who is a supporter so we will now probably start hitting those people who haven't attended caucuses before and are 'primary voters'. We're working on it ;)

But when we do call someone who says 'we're not going to the caucus', THEN we do let them know that this year there is no primary and the caucus is the only way to support Ron Paul, and then most of them become interested in going and we tell them about the caucus and their location they can find at votewa.com

So its possible that we have called many people who have agreed to go to the caucus but do not know that there is no primary. Because like I have said we start with asking them if they are caucusing and if they say yes we don't talk about the primary at all because we know they are going to the caucus and most of the people I've talked to know the caucus location or they know what a caucus is.

Today is really the only day I found a few people who weren't attending the caucus and thought they would be submitting a ballot. And thats because now we're calling the general list, while before we were targeting identified caucus goers. So now we're hitting the 'primary voters' essentially.

Before we were just calling the people we had already identified as caucus goers. And then we went through people who were identified as Ron Paul supporters and were 'caucus goers'.. and then we just started calling all Ron Paul supporters in general today. So we are beginning to 'hit' those people who haven't attended the caucus before and are more likely not aware that there is no primary.

So just know that the campaign has been working on it. Its just that our priorities in terms of calling the various list has been to first identify previous caucus goers and call them, and then call the list of people who we know are Ron Paul Supporters AND caucus goers.. So now like today, we have started to hit all general Ron Paul supporters and we have identified many who didn't know the primary is no more and didn't know anything about a caucus.

All the help through the CAMPAIGN Phone from Home is MUCH APPRECIATED.. Some people may get pissed off if they are being called multiple times if you are doing it independently. So I hope you coordinate with the campaign so there is less repetition.

I can tell you we have real prospects of winning here. Everyone needs to help us out to reach everyone!

gerryb
02-27-2012, 12:11 AM

Wrong.

They don't have the DESIRE. We have plenty of folks wanting to step up and help lead, but the campaign shuns it.

We should have one contact person for every county, who is responsible for disseminating info and organizing other local leaders. In lieu of the campaign, folks need to do this on there own. It's much less efficient when you don't have the campaigns list, though.

D.A.S.
02-27-2012, 12:14 AM

Since our goal is to get out the vote, then it is natural that we start calling with actual caucus goers, and Ron Paul supporters who have caucused before. And that is what we have been doing. But we have started calling everyone who is a supporter so we will now probably start hitting those people who haven't attended caucuses before and are 'primary voters'. We're working on it ;)

But when we do call someone who says 'we're not going to the caucus', THEN we do let them know that this year there is no primary and the caucus is the only way to support Ron Paul, and then most of them become interested in going and we tell them about the caucus and their location they can find at votewa.com

So its possible that we have called many people who have agreed to go to the caucus but do not know that there is no primary. Because like I have said we start with asking them if they are caucusing and if they say yes we don't talk about the primary at all because we know they are going to the caucus and most of the people I've talked to know the caucus location or they know what a caucus is.

Today is really the only day I found a few people who weren't attending the caucus and thought they would be submitting a ballot. And thats because now we're calling the general list, while before we were targeting identified caucus goers. So now we're hitting the 'primary voters' essentially.

Before we were just calling the people we had already identified as caucus goers. And then we went through people who were identified as Ron Paul supporters and were 'caucus goers'.. and then we just started calling all Ron Paul supporters in general today. So we are beginning to 'hit' those people who haven't attended the caucus before and are more likely not aware that there is no primary.

So just know that the campaign has been working on it. Its just that our priorities in terms of calling the various list has been to first identify previous caucus goers and call them, and then call the list of people who we know are Ron Paul Supporters AND caucus goers.. So now like today, we have started to hit all general Ron Paul supporters and we have identified many who didn't know the primary is no more and didn't know anything about a caucus.

All the help through the CAMPAIGN Phone from Home is MUCH APPRECIATED.. Some people may get pissed off if they are being called multiple times if you are doing it independently. So I hope you coordinate with the campaign so there is less repetition.

I can tell you we have real prospects of winning here. Everyone needs to help us out to reach everyone!

+rep to you -- thank you for your efforts in helping the Campaign in WA.

gerryb
02-27-2012, 12:17 AM

This is really something the campaign needs to use a robocall for. They should have had a robocall to every supporter 2 months ago to inform them of the caucus system. Another one a month ago, 2 weeks ago, and one every other day leading up to the caucus.

Relying on Phone-from-Home or HQ phone systems is a huge waste of human capital. Say the list is 10,000 people.. They can hit their list with a 2 minute message for $400

D.A.S.
02-27-2012, 12:20 AM
This is really something the campaign needs to use a robocall for. They should have had a robocall to every supporter 2 months ago to inform them of the caucus system. Another one a month ago, 2 weeks ago, and one every other day leading up to the caucus.

Relying on Phone-from-Home or HQ phone systems is a huge waste of human capital. Say the list is 10,000 people.. They can hit their list with a 2 minute message for $400

You make a very good point here. I often wondered why the campaign wouldn't simply disseminate huge amounts of robocalls for GOTV, instead of depending on us to make the calls. I understand they collect data in the process and can make the GOTV process more customized and personal, but I often wonder if Phone from Home has enough people to blanket a given state with the GOTV calls when they are needed!

RPit
02-27-2012, 12:29 AM
Robocalls are a great tool and I agree you should support this effort.

You have to understand that MOST people are not familiar with the caucus process. People who haven't been to a caucus won't get anything about it with a robocall. Caucus truly is something that must be explained, especially if you are aiming to get delegates and not just win the popular vote.

So although robocalls are a good way to identify supporters, and I support this effort. Do keep in mind that real 'human capital' is ALWAYS needed when we're talking about a caucus. Most in WA have not attended one, and don't know anything about it. A robocall will not do much in terms gotv, especially given that caucus locations are revealed very late, in fact some counties might STILL have not finalized their caucus location.

A combination of robocalls + phonebanking is the key to success. Thats why everyone should support this effort made by the opening poster as well as contribute their time to the campaign phone banking system. Robocalls are a good identification system which you can use then to phonebank to GOTV. So a combination of the two.

RDM
02-27-2012, 12:58 AM
I still think this forum and its leaders could compile lists by state according to how people registered to be on this forum and then send mass email for each state with info pertaining to that particular state. At least some sort of effort could be made to reach possible people that are slipping through the cracks. Anything helps in my opinion. Can we get some forum leaders to look into this idea?

eleganz
02-27-2012, 01:01 AM
if you're going to make these statements at least show the statistics.

how many calls you made
how many rp supporters identified
how many of those identified supporters said what

anytime you identify ron paul supporters you should be DOING something with those numbers, I'm not going to tell you what to do with them but you should DO SOMETHING...wink wink...

the Washington state RP campaign HQ's phone number is (360) 771 - 4858

Esoteric
02-27-2012, 01:04 AM
You make a very good point here. I often wondered why the campaign wouldn't simply disseminate huge amounts of robocalls for GOTV, instead of depending on us to make the calls. I understand they collect data in the process and can make the GOTV process more customized and personal, but I often wonder if Phone from Home has enough people to blanket a given state with the GOTV calls when they are needed!

real people = much higher conversion rate.

gerryb
02-27-2012, 01:07 AM
A combination of robocalls + phonebanking is the key to success. Thats why everyone should support this effort made by the opening poster as well as contribute their time to the campaign phone banking system. Robocalls are a good identification system which you can use then to phonebank to GOTV. So a combination of the two.

I agree phonebanks are needed to follow up, but $400 cost to get a 2 minute informational out to all the supporters in the state 2 months in advance would get enough folks interested and somewhat knowledgeable. At this point, just a robocall stating "Saturday is your only opportunity to vote for ron paul, go to ronpaul2012.com/caucus for more information or call the local HQ at ###-####" would be a great time-saver -- we shouldn't be a week away and just now getting this info out to the "general" list, IMO.

I still think this forum and its leaders could compile lists by state according to how people registered to be on this forum and then send mass email for each state with info pertaining to that particular state. At least some sort of effort could be made to reach possible people that are slipping through the cracks. Anything helps in my opinion. Can we get some forum leaders to look into this idea?

The campaign should be doing that, I hope everyone on the forum is also registered with the campaign... I have my doubts that they are getting all the info out there, though.

RPit
02-27-2012, 01:17 AM
The problem is I don't think it takes $400 to conduct a Robocall in a state of 6million. Obviously things can be improved you should give those suggestions to the campaign :)

gerryb
02-27-2012, 01:19 AM
The problem is I don't think it takes $400 to conduct a Robocall in a state of 6million. Obviously things can be improved you should give those suggestions to the campaign :)

It's 2 cents per minute, campaign probably gets it cheaper than I can... I doubt our list in WA is over 20,000 #'s

RPit
02-27-2012, 01:25 AM
Well there is still a week, so a good robocall campaign in conjunction with phonebanking could be completed very easily within this time frame. Afterall we're probably making more than 5000 calls a day just at the Bellevue location.

I don't know if the campaign is robocalling though, maybe they are.

PolicyReader
02-27-2012, 01:37 AM
Every little bit helps. I think there's a place for both and while of course there are many advantages to the human touch I personally think that the combination of the two will be overall more effective.

2c

digitaldean
02-27-2012, 01:48 AM
People are saying WA is a caucus state so these are the numbers from 2008:

http://www.cnn.com/ELECTION/2008/primaries/results/state/#val=WA

It seems Ron Paul got 22% which was pretty close to first. I am not sure how the caucus system works but how are the numbers looking right now? Does Paul have a chance at winning in WA by getting 25-30%? If he does take WA that will be very good momentum going into Super Tuesday.

hb6102
02-27-2012, 02:08 AM
If those 40000 primary voters would show up and caucus......

parocks
02-27-2012, 02:51 AM
A blimp with the caucus date and time could help educate the masses....

Could we solve this problem with a march?

Esoteric
02-27-2012, 02:57 AM
Could we solve this problem with a march?

In all seriousness. I think it would be beneficial for the Paul campaign to hand out rubber "livestrong" type bands with the caucus date/time at all his events, and something like "Ron Paul 2012" on the reverse. People will keep / wear those things.

parocks
02-27-2012, 03:04 AM
Wrong.

They don't have the DESIRE. We have plenty of folks wanting to step up and help lead, but the campaign shuns it.

We should have one contact person for every county, who is responsible for disseminating info and organizing other local leaders. In lieu of the campaign, folks need to do this on there own. It's much less efficient when you don't have the campaigns list, though.

Actually, one of the things that Robbie has been bringing to the table, since Ames, is a different list. Hitting different people than the campaign was hitting. The campaign was using whatever list they were using, doing well, getting names, voter ID, GOTV. Robbie comes in, and makes a ton of robocalls - to NEW PEOPLE. He made a lot of robocalls to people that the campaign had never talked to before. He brought new people into the process. Our extremely close finish in Ames was due in part to all the people that Robbie was calling that were not called by the official campaign.

parocks
02-27-2012, 03:08 AM
In all seriousness. I think it would be beneficial for the Paul campaign to hand out rubber "livestrong" type bands with the caucus date/time at all his events, and something like "Ron Paul 2012" on the reverse. People will keep / wear those things.

That thing you said. Or a piece of paper. But priority #1 is telling people about the caucus. "How To Vote" We really don't have to do "Why Ron Paul Is So Great".

parocks
02-27-2012, 03:14 AM

This project uses a different list. This list skews younger. It's not a list based on voting history at all. Robbie got, with just his robocalls, A LOT of people to the Ames Straw poll. His work, finding Ron Paul supporter phone numbers was roughly 25% of the total and could've been more than that.

Tinnuhana
02-27-2012, 05:19 AM
How to caucus and the schedule can get air time on the media. It is non-partisan, so should be easy to air without worrying about equal time or anything. A well-written piece in each local market giving details and caucus sites, maybe district maps, could run. See if athe local GOP has something to put up. If not, submit your own. Or give suggestions for improvements on the existing one.

RDM
02-27-2012, 07:11 AM
this forum[/SIZE] and then send mass email for each state with info pertaining to that particular state. At least some sort of effort could be made to reach possible people that are slipping through the cracks. Anything helps in my opinion. Can we get some forum leaders to look into this idea?

The campaign should be doing that, I hope everyone on the forum is also registered with the campaign... I have my doubts that they are getting all the info out there, though.

The campaign does not have access to this Forum. Only the Forum leaders have access to this forum.

bnvalerie
02-27-2012, 08:50 AM

The people that say they are going to Caucus need to understand that they MUST go, as there is no primary, just as much as the ones who weren't planning on attending. In some other states we've had less than desirable turn out even from voters who committed to go. Just because they say their going, doesn't mean they actually will. EVERYONE should be made aware of the lack of a primary, so they understand just how important it is they indeed attend. Just because they say they will, is an excuse not to let them know? Some might think that for whatever reason, if they don't attend, they can still vote in the primary. ALL Washington RP supporters need to be made aware that there isn't a primary and the Caucus is the only chance to vote.