PDA

View Full Version : Urgent:: Help Save the Michigan Presidential Preference Primary

FrankRep
11-13-2007, 07:20 AM
To: All Michigan Ron Paul Supporters
Re: Help Save the Michigan Presidential Preference Primary!

If the Michigan Presidential Preference Primary is NOT held, Ron Paul will have NO chance of winning delegates to the Republican National Convention. If this happens, all of our efforts in Michigan will have been in vain.

PLEASE contact your State Senator and State Representative today!!

Here is a link to find your State Senator’s contact information: http://www.senate.michigan.gov/

Here is a link to find your State Representative’s contact information: http://www.house.michigan.gov/find_a_rep.asp

Ask YOUR legislators to do two things:

1. Support giving IMMEDIATE EFFECT to House Bill No. 4507 so that all the logistics connected with a Presidential Primary can be accomplished in time for a January 15th vote. Important: a 2/3 majority vote in the House is necessary to give the bill Immediate Effect. Without 2/3 vote from the House the bill may be stalled until as late as November 21 or even December 1.

2. Write a letter to the leadership of their respective political parties (Republican or Democrat) urging them to take part in the Primary.

If you have any questions, call 1-517-410-8359.

Please act today!

FrankRep
11-13-2007, 07:27 AM
Related links

Save Michigan’s Primary
http://savemichigansprimary.wordpress.com/

Michigan For Ron Paul Victory Group
http://ronpaul.meetup.com/39/

walt
11-13-2007, 07:38 AM
That really sucks. :(

joshuastjohn
11-13-2007, 08:35 AM
Looks like this is dead. Today was the last day for the Michigan house to finalize this and the speaker canceled today's sessions. The parties changed things around this election cycle to try to make Michigan more relevant and to draw the candidates here. They failed miserably.

RobS
11-13-2007, 09:19 AM
I was at the Kent Country GOP Executive meeting last night. The Secretary of State and state GOP chairman were there and were stressing they are doing everything they can to get the primary back. They said it is basically back in the Democrats camp, and that the only Dems that don't want a primary is the Edwards people...

I don't know, we'll see. Saul (State GOP chair) doesn't seem like a bad guy...

freelance
11-13-2007, 09:21 AM
Are they going to pick off one state at a time?

FrankRep
11-13-2007, 11:53 AM
http://dailypaul.com/node/7158

The Michigan primary is in danger of canceling the January primary. This would result in the Republicans choosing the candidate at a party convention instead of a popular vote. If we want to maintain an open and free election in Michigan, we must act now to encourage our state legislature to clear passage of the changes required to continue the primary.

More...

speciallyblend
11-13-2007, 12:00 PM
Hey GOP push the knife deeper into yourself,your doing a dam good job GOP of throwing the next election,wow ,and im suppose to be telling people to join the gop,sigh,yeah i think the gop is deaf dumb and blind.

Thomas Paine
11-13-2007, 12:32 PM
As an executive committee member of one of the GOP county organizations, I can assure everyone that it is the not state GOP's fault. In fact, the Republican state senate voted to reauthorize the January 15 Primary.

The fault lies squarely on Democrat House Speaker Andy Dillon who has ambitions to succeed Jennifer Granholm as Governor. Because the Michigan Democratic Party is so heavily dominated by the unions, Dillon is doing whatever he can to help John Edwards out who would only benefit from a closed caucus system that is dominated by union bosses. Dillon hopes that by disenfranchising the millions of voters (even Democrat voters) in Michigan who might vote for Hillary Clinton that he will be endorsed by the union bosses when he runs for governor. (I hope my fellow Ron Paul supporters remember Andy Dillon's actions today when he asks for your vote for governor!)

Although only currently elected precinct delegates can participate in the GOP conventions, it is still possible for Ron Paul supporters to be elected as county delegates to the GOP state convention. For reasons you can imagine, this might be somewhat difficult unless the Ron Paul supporter happens to already be a dues paying and active member of the local GOP county organization as I am.

Nevertheless, the key will be get a list of currently elected GOP precinct delegates (probably done already by Ron Paul's Michigan coordinator) and identify any who might support or be sympathetic to Ron Paul. Many are already committed to Romney (whose father was a former Michigan governor and whose wife is a Michigan native) or one of the other establishment candidates. However, there are still some idealists like yours truly who are active in the GOP county organizations.

joshuastjohn
11-13-2007, 12:42 PM
According to this article (http://www.rightmichigan.com/story/2007/11/13/55745/283) it's too late now to get the primary back. The deadline for getting elected as a delegate has long since passed.

PINN4CL3
11-13-2007, 12:57 PM
-NT-

jake
11-13-2007, 01:02 PM
this is horrible. these state-specific difficulties are really starting to dent the campaign.

Badger Paul
11-13-2007, 01:19 PM
Perhaps the state GOP can pay for a primary themselves. That's what they do in South Carolina. Seems ashame to leave the decision up to insiders.

I'm suprised Carl Levin wasn't on the phone calling Dillon to make sure the primary took place. This was his baby all long.

Thomas Paine
11-13-2007, 01:25 PM
To schedule a primary election for either or both parties requires legislation and House Speaker Andy Dillon has made it clear that he is not going to play ball. Dillon is banking on the union bosses to outweigh any benefit he may have forfeited by crossing Senator Levin.

gworrel
11-13-2007, 03:22 PM
To schedule a primary election for either or both parties requires legislation and House Speaker Andy Dillon has made it clear that he is not going to play ball. Dillon is banking on the union bosses to outweigh any benefit he may have forfeited by crossing Senator Levin.

This is unbelievable. What can we do to recall Dillon? I am just outside of his district. I would be very happy to circulate some petitions. Should we call his office to complain? So all the people I have converted to Ron Paul will only be able to vote for him in the general election if the fix is not in in other states.

bbachtung
11-13-2007, 03:29 PM
How about recall elections for all Democratic legislators currently holding up this process?

http://www.legislature.mi.gov/(S(02ejbb55txqbl2ilbbsybo2e))/mileg.aspx?page=getObject&objectName=mcl-116-1954-XXXVI

Benaiah
11-13-2007, 03:42 PM
Don't give up spreading Ron Paul to your neighbors, even if you can't vote in the primaries. People in Michigan have friends and family in states that can still vote, so it won't be in vain.

cjhowe
11-13-2007, 04:10 PM
How about pushing Michigan state legislatures into push back the primary date? Make a new law.