PDA

View Full Version : Why did Peter Thiel choose Endorse Liberty over RevPAC ??

RileyE104
02-25-2012, 07:49 PM
I'm really curious about this..

I mean, even just 15% of what he gave to Endorse Liberty would have been extremely helpful to RevPAC.

nobody's_hero
02-25-2012, 07:51 PM
I thought he did give to both.

bluesc
02-25-2012, 07:53 PM
The guys who run Endorse Liberty knew the right people who arranged a meeting.

The money was helpful to Endorse Liberty too.

LibertyIn08
02-25-2012, 07:58 PM
The question you should ask yourself was whether or not RevPac reached out to Thiel. If not, it isn't much of a surprise that he didn't give more - it is the job of the PAC to solicit donations, particularly large ones. If they did pitch him, he likely didn't like their action plan as much as Endorse Liberty's. It doesn't hurt that he knows multiple people at EL.

angelatc
02-25-2012, 08:01 PM
I thought he did give to both.

Looking at the FEC reports, it appears that you're right.

joshnorris14
02-25-2012, 08:13 PM
The guys who run Endorse Liberty knew the right people who arranged a meeting.

The money was helpful to Endorse Liberty too.

If by "knew the right people" you mean "knew Peter Thiel" then you're right. They are people that have worked with Thiel.

AdamT
02-25-2012, 08:16 PM
Why did Peter Thiel choose Endorse Liberty over RevPAC ??

Thiel is personal friends with EL's founder Steven Oskoui, a fellow wealthy Silicon Valley type entrepreneur.

Perry
02-25-2012, 08:19 PM
I'm really curious about this..

I mean, even just 15% of what he gave to Endorse Liberty would have been extremely helpful to RevPAC.

We don't want to help revpac we want to help Ron Paul.

bluesc
02-25-2012, 08:20 PM
If by "knew the right people" you mean "knew Peter Thiel" then you're right. They are people that have worked with Thiel.

Yes..

Stephen Oskoui is a young online entrepreneur who left Silicon Valley to create an Internet marketing company called Smiley Media in Austin, Texas. He shared Harmon’s strategic view and, more important, he had contacts with some rich people who also want to see Paul in the White House.

That's pretty much the only coverage Endorse Liberty got, unfortunately. Most attention has gone to RevPAC. Both should get equal attention.

FriedChicken
02-25-2012, 08:23 PM
I can't help but wonder if Endorse Liberty has a "broader" mission than to "just" get Paul elected ... just because it seems to me that their money could have been better used at times.

dante
02-25-2012, 08:51 PM
I can't help but wonder if Endorse Liberty has a "broader" mission than to "just" get Paul elected ... just because it seems to me that their money could have been better used at times.

Yes. It's also frankly a better name for a billionaire to be attached too.

seawolf
02-25-2012, 09:18 PM
The question that should be asked is why Rev Pac has utterly failed to attract Rich Liberty Donors. They continuously go after the Ron Paul Grassroots who really by and large are already digging deep in the pockets just to support the Official Campaign.

While I wish Endorse Liberty would spend their Millions on TV/Radio Ads instead of the Internet at least they have attracted large donors. The Santa Rita Super Pac also has a number of large donors.

Frankly, Rev Pac's failure to attract large donors and amounts of money is extremely disappointing. There has to be a strong underlying reason why, but so far no real answer has come to the surface.

daviddee
02-25-2012, 09:35 PM

AdamT
02-25-2012, 09:42 PM
Because RevPac is like flushing cash down the toilet.

Have you seen their ads?

???????

parocks
02-25-2012, 10:16 PM
Yes. It's also frankly a better name for a billionaire to be attached too.

Really, most people don't like the idea of Revolution, huh? Who would've guessed that? </s>

freneticentropy
02-25-2012, 10:19 PM

Have you seen their ads?

What are you talking about? Ok, I'll admit.. I think the chinese troops ad misses their target by a few parsecs, but the others are great.
Compassion is fantastic for 'character' voters. Really tugs those heartstrings. The latest one is attention getting and clears up the electability and SS issues, both of which desperately needed to be addressed.

Peace&Freedom
02-25-2012, 11:09 PM
The question that should be asked is why Rev Pac has utterly failed to attract Rich Liberty Donors. They continuously go after the Ron Paul Grassroots who really by and large are already digging deep in the pockets just to support the Official Campaign.

While I wish Endorse Liberty would spend their Millions on TV/Radio Ads instead of the Internet at least they have attracted large donors. The Santa Rita Super Pac also has a number of large donors.

Frankly, Rev Pac's failure to attract large donors and amounts of money is extremely disappointing. There has to be a strong underlying reason why, but so far no real answer has come to the surface.

Indeed, I wish EL and RevPac would roll out nationally as PACs that select promising liberty candidates of the Paul mode to support in congressional races (especially open seats). The 10 million or so the two PACs have raised could easily fund Paulite contenders in 15-20 House races with independent commercials and major print ads. It could be the missing factor towards getting candidates elected who otherwise lack competitive fundraising power or visibility to directly get the cash.

economics102
02-25-2012, 11:24 PM
Unfortunately the perfect Ron Paul PAC structure would have been for us to pick the most mainstream, credible guy we can, someone who a person like Peter Thiel would be more comfortable having his name associated with, and have that PAC hire people like Tom Woods, etc, to be secondary public faces and talents of the organization.

I think as odd as this will sound, a SuperPAC headed by Peter Schiff would have made sense. NOT because Schiff has money to put in. I'm saying that even if Schiff didn't put his own money in, Schiff is someone who not only I'm sure knows lots of wealthy people, but who Thiel and other wealthy donors would likely have felt more comfortable with. A billionaire is going to feel more comfortable giving money to a SuperPAC run by a multimillionaire in the finance industry than to one headed by a guy like Gary Franchi.

Cowlesy
02-25-2012, 11:34 PM
THANK YOU to Peter Thiel and friends for helping Ron.

THANK YOU to Rev PAC and friends for helping Ron.

Inspiring donations from both of you to the cause of American Liberty.

Just Flossin'
02-25-2012, 11:37 PM
I would say it's more mainstream to pick a PAC like EL versus Rev because of Gary Franchi.

Franchi is a 9/11 truther and conspiracy guy so if the media picked up the story of a wealthy person donating to his PAC, it would insinuate that said donor associates or believes such ideas. That's my guess. It's sad though, because REV Pac is really great.

NewRightLibertarian
02-25-2012, 11:40 PM

Have you seen their ads?

Their ads are best ones I've seen for Ron Paul. WTF are you talking about?

mikeforliberty
02-25-2012, 11:45 PM
15 minutes to go in the RevPAC broadcast lets get them over $25k!

bluesc
02-25-2012, 11:47 PM
15 minutes to go in the RevPAC broadcast lets get them over $25k!

The campaign is holding a moneybomb.

02-25-2012, 11:48 PM

The truther stuff is offputting. Lots don't wish to be associated with it. It could damage business.

Paul4Prez
02-26-2012, 01:59 AM
Really, most people don't like the idea of Revolution, huh? Who would've guessed that? </s>

The Ron Paul R3VOLUTION theme was quite effective in 2008, and people are even more ready for a revolution now. I doubt the name of the PAC was much of a factor.

Muwahid
02-26-2012, 02:21 AM
I like RevPAC's ads - however, I feel like they are in fact targeting the grassroots and small donors, rather than the big donors. They need to get in contact with these guys and say here's the deal! We've got this great ad, you support our guy, will you please consider donating x amount.

I think when RevPAC opened doors they should have had guaranteed some big donations.

LibertyIn08
02-26-2012, 03:28 AM
Their ads are best ones I've seen for Ron Paul. WTF are you talking about?

Some are concerned about the difference between beautiful ads and effective ones.