PDA

View Full Version : OH -"Secret" compartments in cars soon to be a felony.

Anti Federalist
02-25-2012, 12:34 PM
Oh and a new snitch number 677.

See Something Say Something.

Secret compartments could get drivers busted

http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/local/2012/02/25/secret-compartments-could-get-drivers-busted.html

A hidden compartment in your vehicle, with or without drugs, could mean big trouble as Ohio officials get serious about slowing down drug-smuggling.

A proposed state law, advocated by Gov. John Kasich, would make it a fourth-degree felony to own a vehicle equipped with secret compartments. A conviction would mean up to 18 months in jail and a potential $5,000 fine.

The hidden-compartment law, coupled with nearly 150 new highway signs warning traffickers that they face prison time in Ohio, are part of a stepped-up drug interdiction campaign announced yesterday by Kasich. The governor gave a brief commencement address at graduation ceremonies for the 151st Ohio State Highway Patrol Academy class at the academy, adjacent to the state fairgrounds.

Kasich unveiled a new number for motorists with cellphones — #677 — to alert law enforcement about possible drug activities.

“A lot of the people that are dealing these drugs are after our kids,” Kasich said at a news conference. “When you see something, call this number.”

The governor’s news conference, held in a patrol academy garage, played out against the backdrop of a pickup truck loaded with tens of thousands of dollars of cocaine, heroin and marijuana. The drugs were scooped up in the patrol’s expanding and increasingly successful campaign to slow down drug trafficking by stopping smugglers on the highways.

Last year, troopers seized nearly 6 million grams of illegal drugs valued at $69.5 million, Kasich said. The patrol made more than 6,000 drug arrests, 9 percent more than 2010. So far this year, the patrol has seized more heroin than in all of 2011, officials said.

Part of the new drug-interdiction strategy is legislation to be introduced by Sen. Jim Hughes, R-Columbus, that would make it a fourth-degree felony to own a vehicle that has special hidden compartments — whether or not they are found to hold drugs. Currently, there is no state law prohibiting secret compartments, frequently used for drug smuggling.

A draft of the law describes a hidden compartment as a “space, box, or other closed container” that is added, modified or attached to an existing vehicle.

Hughes’ proposal is aimed at vehicles like one displayed yesterday — a 2008 Chevrolet Silverado stopped by a patrol trooper on I-71 in Medina County last year. The vehicle was equipped with a sophisticated electronic system that opened hidden compartments located behind the rear taillights. A combination of relay signals, activated by having the ignition on, tapping the brake pedal, seat lever and switches on the dashboard, caused the taillight assembly to slide out, exposing the hidden compartments.

When the vehicle was stopped, the compartments contained 6 kilograms of cocaine, apparently destined for Akron. The driver, Stan Hatch, 63, of Fort Wayne, Ind., was charged with possession of drugs and sentenced to eight years in prison.

“This stuff has been moving to and from Ohio, and has been for years,” said Col. John Born, patrol superintendent.

Law-enforcement officials said Ohio is a critical crossroads for interstate trafficking of drugs because of several major interstate highways that pass through the state and the state’s proximity to Canada.

The new road signs, with both white and blue backgrounds, will be erected on numerous highways, particularly interstates just inside Ohio’s state lines. The money for the signs comes from drug-related property forfeitures. The #677 number is being provided at no cost to the state by a consortium of cellular companies.

(Another nexus of the corpo/government state - AF)

Anti Federalist
02-25-2012, 12:35 PM
And what if you bought a used vehicle that had these installed without your knowledge?

phill4paul
02-25-2012, 12:37 PM
The #677 number is being provided at no cost to the state by a consortium of cellular companies.

Customers of the cell phone companies, however, ....................

Kluge
02-25-2012, 12:49 PM
And what if you bought a used vehicle that had these installed without your knowledge?

My thoughts exactly.

Also, a Honda Ridgeliner has a factory-installed "secret" hiding spot, last I knew.

Bruno
02-25-2012, 12:55 PM
Would be ironic if somone were to hide copies of the U.S. Constitution in them and then got arrested for it.

phill4paul
02-25-2012, 01:05 PM
Would be ironic if somone were to hide copies of the U.S. Constitution in them and then got arrested for it.

What's NOT funny is that you are not far off as the Constitution is deemed subversive literature these days.

Kodaddy
02-25-2012, 01:06 PM
Once they're discovered, they're no longer secret.

pcosmar
02-25-2012, 01:09 PM
Your "Hide a Key" just became a felony.

welcome to my world.

phill4paul
02-25-2012, 01:12 PM

welcome to my world.

Hadn't even thought of that. Wow.

angelatc
02-25-2012, 01:15 PM
Hughes’ proposal is aimed at vehicles like one displayed yesterday — a 2008 Chevrolet Silverado stopped by a patrol trooper on I-71 in Medina County last year. The vehicle was equipped with a sophisticated electronic system that opened hidden compartments located behind the rear taillights. A combination of relay signals, activated by having the ignition on, tapping the brake pedal, seat lever and switches on the dashboard, caused the taillight assembly to slide out, exposing the hidden compartments.

OK - does anybody believe that the trooper who pulled this guy over actually figured this out? Personally I find it far more likely that there was a rat involved.

TheTexan
02-25-2012, 01:17 PM

welcome to my world.

Not to mention car holsters. You can't have it in plain sight, and with this law you can't hide it either. Fucked if you, fucked if you don't.

TheTexan
02-25-2012, 01:18 PM
OK - does anybody believe that the trooper who pulled this guy over actually figured this out? Personally I find it far more likely that there was a rat involved.

The cops may have GAVE him the vehicle.

Anti Federalist
02-25-2012, 01:40 PM

welcome to my world.

Niether had I.

+rep

Anti Federalist
02-25-2012, 01:42 PM

No, I don't either.

Even if the dogs had tagged it, the cop way would have been to just bash the mechanism in with a sledgehammer.

The fact that it is undamaged and in pristine shape indicates to me as well that somebody ratted this dude out.

Ninja Homer
02-25-2012, 01:57 PM
"A draft of the law describes a hidden compartment as a “space, box, or other closed container” that is added, modified or attached to an existing vehicle."

WTF?!? That description is so vague it could include a toolbox in the trunk. Drugs are already illegal, and this is obviously meant as a tack-on law to increase revenue, but it's only a matter of time before it's abused. Yet another state that I will never visit or spend my money in...

Czolgosz
02-25-2012, 02:02 PM
Separate from these people. Leave 'em to devour themselves.

ryanmkeisling
02-25-2012, 02:14 PM

This^^ I know several shops back east that will install these and they are almost impossible to find if you don't know they are there or take apart the entire dash or???. They are certainly more sophisticated than an extra gas tank.

pcosmar
02-25-2012, 02:17 PM
This^^ I know several shops back east that will install these and they are almost impossible to find if you don't know they are there or take apart the entire dash or???. They are certainly more sophisticated than an extra gas tank.

Can they add a self destruct mechanism to make it tamper resistant?

Anti Federalist
02-25-2012, 02:21 PM
I wonder if that applies to "secret boxes" that contain cop GPS tracking devices?

Anti Federalist
02-25-2012, 02:23 PM
Separate from these people. Leave 'em to devour themselves.

How does one do that?

I've heard this many times, but it seems completely and utterly unrealistic, like to trying to meditate a termite infestation out of your home.

I do not seek these people out.

They find me.

The Goat
02-25-2012, 02:27 PM
Does this mean the space between my truck bed and bed liner is illegal now?

robert9712000
02-25-2012, 02:28 PM
Its just another way to make sure that every person is a criminal,so if they ever want to arrest you theyll have a list of reasons to choose.

NoPants
02-25-2012, 02:30 PM
Have you ever seen those incredible customized cars with TV screens, speakers, etc that are hidden and reveal themselves when activated? Those will all be illegal by this definition. The dealer installed disk changer in my Jetta would qualify as a "hidden compartment". It's not factory and was bolted to the vehicle and it has a sliding lid that closes. If you take the disk holder out and close the lid you could fit drugs in there... about 6 disks worth. :) What about the tool containers installed in many trucks. They're bolted to the vehicle and can be closed AND locked.

Anti Federalist
02-25-2012, 02:32 PM
Have you ever seen those incredible customized cars with TV screens, speakers, etc that are hidden and reveal themselves when activated? Those will all be illegal by this definition. The dealer installed disk changer in my Jetta would qualify as a "hidden compartment". It's not factory and was bolted to the vehicle and it has a sliding lid that closes. If you take the disk holder out and close the lid you could fit drugs in there... about 6 disks worth. :) What about the tool containers installed in many trucks. They're bolted to the vehicle and can be closed AND locked.

Reported.

Czolgosz
02-25-2012, 02:51 PM
How does one do that?

I've heard this many times, but it seems completely and utterly unrealistic, like to trying to meditate a termite infestation out of your home.

I do not seek these people out.

They find me.

Consolidate liberty into a small defensible area rather than trying to work the existing system as a fragmented group. Sounds similar to FSP, but I think FSP should have targeted a smaller physical area to occupy.

United We stand.

pcosmar
02-25-2012, 02:57 PM
Consolidate liberty into a small defensible area rather than trying to work the existing system as a fragmented group. Sounds similar to FSP, but I think FSP should have targeted a smaller physical area to occupy.

United We stand.

Ah,, like the Branch Davidians.

well, it's a plan,,,

Czolgosz
02-25-2012, 03:06 PM

well, it's a plan,,,

lol, first thought that came to my mind. :D

Numbers are important. Branch Davidians were something like ~100 people or so, I believe. Hell, even FSP in bumfuck freezing ass New Hampshire has 1,000. And they all moved there with a loosely knit support system.

Kluge
02-25-2012, 03:11 PM
Xzibit does not approve of this tomfoolery.

http://blog.serverfault.com/files/2012/01/Xzibit_Monitoring.jpg

eduardo89
02-25-2012, 03:12 PM
Does this mean the space between my truck bed and bed liner is illegal now?

Reported.

JJ2
02-25-2012, 03:20 PM
A draft of the law describes a hidden compartment as a “space, box, or other closed container” that is added, modified or attached to an existing vehicle.

So if you buy new floor mats or a seat cushion, you will be a criminal, because you "added" a "space."

Just wait a couple years until Congress says that this law is working so well that we need to adopt it at the federal level!

Dustancostine
02-25-2012, 04:22 PM
"A draft of the law describes a hidden compartment as a “space, box, or other closed container” that is added, modified or attached to an existing vehicle."

WTF?!? That description is so vague it could include a toolbox in the trunk. Drugs are already illegal, and this is obviously meant as a tack-on law to increase revenue, but it's only a matter of time before it's abused. Yet another state that I will never visit or spend my money in...

That description "a closed container... that is attached to an existing vehicle" describes perfectly an eighteen wheeler. So what are the going to do now? arrest every truck driver?

eduardo89
02-25-2012, 04:23 PM
What next? Secret compartments are going to be illegal in your home too? Anyone with a closet or drawers will be a felon.

pcosmar
02-25-2012, 04:26 PM
What next? Secret compartments are going to be illegal in your home too? Anyone with a closet or drawers will be a felon.

Or a locked safe.
:(

awake
02-25-2012, 04:29 PM
Thieves really hate secret compartments, it makes their life way more difficult than they like. The same goes for the State.

tod evans
02-25-2012, 04:32 PM
http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTOOqY7-j7tiIfwWP8XQAc4MA_afsvy8f3hXX9wUoXUmd15ZALv0u7jPYC-

phill4paul
02-25-2012, 04:36 PM
"Please exit the vehicle sir. I see you have a hidden compartment."
"Huh?"
"Yes, citizen. I am authorized by the state to conduct a thorough search of the space."
"Wut?"
"Drop your pants and bend over. We can do this the easy way or the hard way. Your choice."

phill4paul
02-25-2012, 04:39 PM
http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTOOqY7-j7tiIfwWP8XQAc4MA_afsvy8f3hXX9wUoXUmd15ZALv0u7jPYC-

Reported. This crosses the border line from the "War on Drugs" to the "War on Terror." My trouble is that there are so many agencies now I can't figure out who to report you to. Is there an agency that can direct me to the right agency?

Sola_Fide
02-25-2012, 05:03 PM
This country is doomed.

Thank you AF for showing me this.

madengr
02-25-2012, 05:24 PM
Let's say you have a lockbox, which of course you refuse to open without a warrant, then they will prosecute you under this law.

Anti Federalist
02-25-2012, 05:24 PM

well, it's a plan,,,

Actually, at the outset, the Davidians had superiority of the battle scene.

Had they wanted to, they could have slaughtered every ATF agent there.

JJ2
02-25-2012, 05:35 PM
Let's say you have a lockbox, which of course you refuse to open without a warrant, then they will prosecute you under this law.

The lockbox itself is the felony, so even if you open it up, they will prosecute you.

Danke
02-25-2012, 07:40 PM
Pretty fricking simple. Don't register you car and hand over title to the State.

MoneyWhereMyMouthIs2
02-25-2012, 08:35 PM
The lockbox itself is the felony, so even if you open it up, they will prosecute you.

What if it's an iron-clad lockbox like al gore wanted to use?

CaptainAmerica
02-25-2012, 08:40 PM
BULLCRAP! I want to secure my belongings from car thieves when I park my car. This includes a secret battery killswitch ,and a secret gun compartment so that they cant steal it so easily.

Anti Federalist
02-25-2012, 11:43 PM
BULLCRAP! I want to secure my belongings from car thieves when I park my car. This includes a secret battery killswitch ,and a secret gun compartment so that they cant steal it so easily.

Reported.

oyarde
02-25-2012, 11:55 PM
Only secret hiding place I normally have in the truck is the bottom of a shotgun barrel . Should I offer to hold it while they peer into it ? :) I know those Buckeye troopers tend to lean toward the rude , but as a native born Hoosier from Southern Indiana , we pride ourselves on hospitality ;]

Mr. Rapp
02-26-2012, 12:47 AM
lol.. What about pickup trucks with toolboxes, or a supply van with multiple spaces. Does this law makes UPS or fedex trucks illegal, with all their hundreds of added boxes and containers?

AGRP
02-26-2012, 12:58 AM
Doesn't the 4th Amendment essentially state the entire car must be treated like a secret compartment unless they have a search warrant? Car = Persons?

oyarde
02-26-2012, 12:59 AM
I never thought of it , but UPS trucks do look suspicious ;)

Feeding the Abscess
02-26-2012, 01:01 AM
Yeah, but that Kasich, he's a Republican, and he's for limited government and freedom!

oyarde
02-26-2012, 01:15 AM
Yeah, but that Kasich, he's a Republican, and he's for limited government and freedom! As a rule , in the midwest , Republican gov.'s only mean , not many tax increases where Dem Gov.'s mean more spending on Holy Grail's like public education . Notice , I mentioned freedom nowhere. Your choices are , which will steal the least from you..

ZENemy
02-26-2012, 01:19 AM
My thoughts exactly.

Also, a Honda Ridgeliner has a factory-installed "secret" hiding spot, last I knew.

The s2000 has an advertised (in the brocure) "safe compartment" that's hidden. Guess Honda has to do a recall or some planes will fly into the local dealership.

rockerrockstar
02-26-2012, 01:24 AM
Yeah I was thinking of Pimp My Ride too. The flip out screens and stuff like that. Or how about speaker boxes you could hide drugs in those. This could be endless.

Another question is why are we wasting tax payer money fighting this drug war. Could we not do something else with the money. Spend money on prevention and treatment plans. How about commercials on tv like the anti smoking ones.

If it gets to the point that you can't install an after market subwoofer these laws got to go.

oyarde
02-26-2012, 01:28 AM
Yeah I was thinking of Pimp My Ride too. The flip out screens and stuff like that. Or how about speaker boxes you could hid drugs in those. This could be endless. I drlled a hole in the bottom of my spare tire holder in the trunk of my 57 Chevy in high school and used it to ice beer down in.

rockerrockstar
02-26-2012, 01:32 AM
I like 57 Chevy's.

oyarde
02-26-2012, 01:52 AM
It was a one owner with 82,000 miles on it , I paid $900 for it , of course at the time that was alot of money to me , I was making , maybe 2.90 an hour at my job.

LibForestPaul
02-26-2012, 08:45 AM
Just remember, 12 mundanes will be found to agree with this new law.