PDA

View Full Version : UK - Plans move forward to heat swimming pool with crematorium heat.

Anti Federalist
02-24-2012, 11:08 PM
Mmmmmm, Soylent Green....

A money-saving plan to heat a swimming pool with energy from the cremation of dead bodies has been backed by a senior Government minister.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/9101874/Minister-praises-plan-to-heat-swimming-pool-from-fires-of-crematorium.html

By Rowena Mason, Political Correspondent

7:22PM GMT 23 Feb 2012

Sir George Young, leader of the House of Commons, said the proposal to warm a Worcestershire leisure centre with heat from a nearby crematorium was a “groundbreaking scheme”.

He said the Government is considering whether the plan could be duplicated elsewhere in Britain.

“The Government is aware of this particular scheme,” he said. “The Department for Energy and Climate Change will shortly be publishing its heat strategy and this will explore the potential for better recovery and reuse of wasted heat in schemes such as this one.”

He added that he would “die a happier man” if he knew heat from his cremation was warming the waters of a local pool.

Redditch Borough Council will be the first authority in the country to use a crematorium to heat a swimming pool. Work has already begun on the project, which is expected to be completed this spring. Since the plans were approved in February last year, they have won an award from the Green Organisation.

bluesc
02-24-2012, 11:12 PM
Kids will not be swimming there.

Couldn't possibly end the wars, huh?

kah13176
02-24-2012, 11:14 PM
I get the impression that AF thinks this is a bad thing?

I don't see a problem here.

Anti Federalist
02-24-2012, 11:20 PM
I get the impression that AF thinks this is a bad thing?

I don't see a problem here.

No, I can't see anything wrong with burning corpses heating your pool...:rolleyes:

That's tongue in cheek, yes, on the surface, why not use all that waste heat?

But I consider it creepy and I'm not a fan of cremation anyway.

AFPVet
02-24-2012, 11:46 PM
No, I can't see anything wrong with burning corpses heating your pool...:rolleyes:

I understand the "efficiency angle"; however, It seems a bit morbid to me....

MikeStanart
02-24-2012, 11:50 PM
This sounds like it would cater to the morbidly rich audience. "Geoffrey, thow another corpse in the oven will you? The pool is getting a tad cold!"

kah13176
02-24-2012, 11:57 PM

Meh. As long as it's voluntary. Personally, after I die, I won't care what happens to my body.

Danke
02-25-2012, 04:33 AM
//

Danke
02-25-2012, 04:34 AM
dupe

Barrex
02-25-2012, 04:46 AM
I see monty pythons are on the move again...

thoughtomator
02-25-2012, 04:52 AM
:confused:

You don't cremate bodies for Soylent Green, just saying...

Soylent Green Energy

AdelaideGUy
02-25-2012, 05:09 AM
May as well use the excess heat for something.

thoughtomator
02-25-2012, 05:36 AM
May as well use the excess heat for something.

I can see the scene now:

Questioner: Hey kids, do you like the heated pool?

Kids: WE SURE DO!!

Questioner: Do you know how the pool is heated?

Kids: WE SURE DO!!

Questioner: So you're fine with it being heated by dead bodies?

Kids: *giggles* WE KNOW SOMETHING YOU DON'T KNOW!

Jandrsn21
02-25-2012, 05:37 AM
This sounds like it would cater to the morbidly rich audience. "Geoffrey, thow another corpse in the oven will you? The pool is getting a tad cold!"

:D

Anti Federalist
02-25-2012, 11:07 AM
:confused:

You don't cremate bodies for Soylent Green, just saying...

Welcome to Krusty's Kristmas Special...

Brought to you by ILG Corporation, harvesting your body's vital fluids after you die...

And, by Little Sweetheart Snack Cakes...A division of ILG Corporation.

Lishy
02-25-2012, 11:45 AM
Well if they're organ donors and consent to this experiment, I don't see a problem.

donnay
02-25-2012, 12:35 PM
Sounds like a new episode of the BBC series Torchwood.

oyarde
02-25-2012, 01:06 PM
This is taking effeciency to a whole new level , this guy needs a position here .

phill4paul
02-25-2012, 01:11 PM
I worked in a bay of garages and the one next to ours was a crematorium. He only fired it up at night and since he wasn't there it had to be auto-mated but the thing would fire up consistently. I don't know how much he charged but he was obviously doing pretty well. You could say his business was "smokin'!" :p

123tim
02-25-2012, 01:41 PM
//