PDA

View Full Version : Yet another reason not to Farcebook

Anti Federalist
02-24-2012, 10:51 PM
An older story but worth re-posting because I had heard of this happening to a friend of a friend just recently.

IRS Uses Twitter, Facebook and Google Street Map to Catch Tax Cheats

http://www.pappasontaxes.com/index.php/2010/03/17/irs-uses-twitter-facebook-and-google-street-map-to-catch-tax-cheats/

Back in 2008 I wrote about a group of Oklahoma college students who had bragged on MySpace about how much money they were making in their party business. Unfortunately for them, a state tax investigator was one of their “friends”:

Five current and former University of Central Oklahoma students bragged on MySpace that their party business had served thousands. Actually, a lot more than thousands. And that boast was enough for the Oklahoma Tax Commission to issue the erstwhile businessmen a six-figure state tax bill.

Now, it seems the IRS has followed Oklahoma’s lead. WebCPA reports that the IRS is increasingly using social networking tools like Facebook to help catch tax cheats:

What kinds of tools is the IRS using to uncover tax evasion? One of them is social networks. The Electronic Frontier Foundation has released documents uncovered from Freedom of Information Act requests, showing that the IRS as well as the FBI and other government agencies have been using social media sites like Twitter and Facebook to collect information for investigations.

The EFF posted a 2009 training course that describes how IRS employees could use various Internet tools — including social networking sites, search engines and Google Street View — to investigate taxpayers.

However, the EFF commended the IRS for prohibiting employees from using deception or fake social networking accounts to obtain information. IRS policies generally limit employees to using publicly available information. The EFF also found that the IRS does not allow employees to use government computers to access social networking sites like Facebook or MySpace for personal communication, and cautions them to be careful to avoid any appearance that they’re speaking on behalf of the IRS when making personal use of social media.

That’s good advice in general. Be careful what you say on Facebook or Twitter, particularly when it comes to your personal finances.

pacelli
02-24-2012, 10:55 PM
To hell with "Voluntarily submit my personal information to the world"-book.

heavenlyboy34
02-24-2012, 11:01 PM
1) It was stupid to post his real info 2) equally stupid to "friend" random strangers. Don't know why the fuck people do that.

ryanmkeisling
02-24-2012, 11:03 PM
I can't stand social networking or that Kid who owns facebook.

Anti Federalist
02-24-2012, 11:06 PM
I can't stand social networking or that Kid who owns facebook.

Gives a pretty good idea of how far things are gone when an internet message board is somehow worth 100 billion dollars.

moderate libertarian
02-24-2012, 11:07 PM
Based on this poll result, some people are still using fb it seems:

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?362909-36-State-attorneys-sent-letter-of-concern-over-Google-s-plan-to-share-personal-information

ryanmkeisling
02-24-2012, 11:14 PM
Gives a pretty good idea of how far things are gone when an internet message board is somehow worth 100 billion dollars.
LOL, it is scary and so is the power that this kid yields because of it. Hell in a handbasket, I tell ya...+rep for this thread. People are so given to trends these days, they will sign up for big brother.

Tod
02-24-2012, 11:16 PM
Based on this poll result, some people are still using fb it seems:

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?362909-36-State-attorneys-sent-letter-of-concern-over-Google-s-plan-to-share-personal-information

LOL!!! :D

Anti Federalist
02-24-2012, 11:17 PM
LOL, it is scary and so is the power that this kid yields because of it. Hell in a handbasket, I tell ya...+rep for this thread. People are so given to trends these days, they will sign up for big brother.

Yup, they will happily line up and buy the chains that enslave them.

Updating Lenin, "We will sell the capitalists the rope with which they hang themselves."

muzzled dogg
02-24-2012, 11:23 PM
Stealing

azxd
02-25-2012, 12:29 AM
Imagine what this place is worth and coud be used for ;)

Anti Federalist
02-25-2012, 12:38 AM
Imagine what this place is worth and coud be used for ;)

You know, I got to thinking about it, why wouldn't Farcebook be worth 100 billion?

That's marketing and databasing and focusgrouping that gives government spooks and Madison Ave suits hard ons.

And people just vomit it all up for these vultures to fold, spindle, mutilate and prosecute to their heart's content.

NewRightLibertarian
02-25-2012, 12:43 AM
You know, I got to thinking about it, why wouldn't Farcebook be worth 100 billion?

That's marketing and databasing and focusgrouping that gives government spooks and Madison Ave suits hard ons.

And people just vomit it all up for these vultures to fold, spindle, mutilate and prosecute to their heart's content.

I'm on Facebook because the way I see it, it's impossible to avoid big brother. Might as well participate in Facebook, Twitter and wherever else since there's so many people on it that can be reached.

eduardo89
02-25-2012, 12:49 AM
1) It was stupid to post his real info 2) equally stupid to "friend" random strangers. Don't know why the fuck people do that.

You do that.

azxd
02-25-2012, 12:51 AM

YEP !!!
I LMAO everytime I read of some idiot telling the World about their wrong doings and getting caught.

And I also shed a very small tear when I read about some idiot publicly castrating their boss/place of employment, because they wish they would be more like the nutless fol who is afraid to leave the horrible work conditions they deal with.

Have you ever laughed so hard that you cry ?

Now to your point ... Much of that information is an absolute marketing goldmine.

azxd
02-25-2012, 12:52 AM
I'm on Facebook because the way I see it, it's impossible to avoid big brother. Might as well participate in Facebook, Twitter and wherever else since there's so many people on it that can be reached.
I see nothing wrong with using social media (it's not for me), unless you're one of the idiots I described in my prior post.

RickyJ
02-25-2012, 12:52 AM

Bingo! Reaching sheep can be done on facebook so why not use it? I hate facebook but I am going to use it for the cause of liberty while I still can.

RickyJ
02-25-2012, 12:59 AM
YEP !!!
I LMAO everytime I read of some idiot telling the World about their wrong doings and getting caught.

And I also shed a very small tear when I read about some idiot publicly castrating their boss/place of employment, because they wish they would be more like the nutless fol who is afraid to leave the horrible work conditions they deal with.

Have you ever laughed so hard that you cry ?

Now to your point ... Much of that information is an absolute marketing goldmine.

No joke, I have actually seen a post by a woman who is suppose to be a Christian and goes to my church saying that the only reason someone was still alive was because she didn't have enough money to hire a hit man. When asked if she was serious, she said she was. UNBELIEVABLE! How stupid and hypocritical can people be?

Anti Federalist
02-25-2012, 01:05 AM

Be my guest. A very valid point and I commend those who use it for that.

I won't, at least I certainly won't using my real name and photos of me and my home and my family.

Anti Federalist
02-25-2012, 01:07 AM
No joke, I have actually seen a post by a woman who is suppose to be a Christian and goes to my church saying that the only reason someone was still alive was because she didn't have enough money to hire a hit man. When asked if she was serious, she said she was. UNBELIEVABLE! How stupid and hypocritical can people be?

Bet any amount of money she is one of these people that scoff at folks like us and call us "paranoid".

Until she gets a SWAT raid for that little gem.

Then there will be gnashing of teeth and rending of garments.

AFPVet
02-25-2012, 01:29 AM
Everything on the Internet is monitored. I even wrote a paper in college about this crap. Everything is monitored... especially social networking sites. Never state anything which you do not want ending up in court. Of course, the ID is an issue the attorneys will use since identity theft is a significant issue.... Still... play it safe :)

ForLiberty2012
02-25-2012, 01:29 AM
Yeah I'm not on facebook cause I don't want the government to know about me... I also don't use credit cards. I actually don't even leave the house. I don't have friends either because there is a chance they could be spies. I wear tin foil hats to sleep as well so they don't read my thoughts... I need to protect myself from government! Not. Lol... Staying connected with friends is easy with facebook... Not gonna not do something out of fear of government... Once you fear, then you are controlled.

AFPVet
02-25-2012, 01:31 AM
Yeah I'm not on facebook cause I don't want the government to know about me... I also don't use credit cards. I actually don't even leave the house. I don't have friends either because there is a chance they could be spies. I wear tin foil hats to sleep as well so they don't read my thoughts... I need to protect myself from government! Not. Lol... Staying connected with friends is easy with facebook... Not gonna not do something out of fear of government... Once you fear, then you are controlled.

Good point! Just play it safe :) I'm not going to stop driving my car for the fear of a wreck (while possible). This is life... anything can happen; however, I still put my seat belt on every time I climb into my Mustang.

Anti Federalist
02-25-2012, 01:41 AM

Why do want to make it more easy for government to infringe on your liberty and privacy?

Why would you help them do that?

Want to keep in touch with friends?

Pick up the phone, write a letter...

All you are telling me here is that your convenience and social life is more important than your liberty.

azxd
02-25-2012, 01:45 AM
Is it true that maximum protection requires the shiny side to be facing out :p

ForLiberty2012
02-25-2012, 01:53 AM
Why do want to make it more easy for government to infringe on your liberty and privacy?

Why would you help them do that?

Want to keep in touch with friends?

Pick up the phone, write a letter...

All you are telling me here is that your convenience and social life is more important than your liberty.

Phone... Trackable.. Letter... Not as trackable but too slow for information. I have been posting ron paul vids on facebook since 08 and many of my friends have got on board because they have caught a video or two i posted... And i didnt even have to force them... So i see it as a net gain in liberty.

dancjm
02-25-2012, 01:55 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZH-Pm5XtoI

azxd
02-25-2012, 02:06 AM
Fear is a powerful motivator ... Especially when you use it on yourself.

idiom
02-25-2012, 04:13 AM
If you are not paying for it, you aren't the customer, you are the product.

ZenBowman
02-25-2012, 01:41 PM
Hate all you want, but improved technology has contributed greatly to the message of liberty spreading.

The reality is that as technology improves, privacy goes away, but transparency rises. That's why Dr. Paul is the legend of the Interwebz, it doesn't allow people to conceal their bullshit for very long.

If you care about privacy, this is bad, but you won't be able to do shit about it. Privacy will be virtually eliminated in the next 30-40 years, with or without a libertarian government.

Not long before infrared technology will be available on your cellphone, and in a free state government would have no right to restrict someone from purchasing such technology.

Anti Federalist
02-25-2012, 01:46 PM
Hate all you want, but improved technology has contributed greatly to the message of liberty spreading.

The reality is that as technology improves, privacy goes away, but transparency rises. That's why Dr. Paul is the legend of the Interwebz, it doesn't allow people to conceal their bullshit for very long.

If you care about privacy, this is bad, but you won't be able to do shit about it. Privacy will be virtually eliminated in the next 30-40 years, with or without a libertarian government.

Not long before infrared technology will be available on your cellphone, and in a free state government would have no right to restrict someone from purchasing such technology.

That makes no sense.

So freedom is slavery, and get used to it?

That about the long and short of it?

No thanks.

And I'm glad I won't have to live in your world, where the freedom to be left alone, the single greatest freedom there is, is as dead as Julius Caesar.

Anti Federalist
02-25-2012, 01:47 PM
Fear is a powerful motivator ... Especially when you use it on yourself.

Convenience and ease is just as powerful.

That people will happily give up their privacy for it is obvious.

ZenBowman
02-25-2012, 01:49 PM
That makes no sense.

No thanks.

And I'm glad I won't have to live in your world, where the freedom to be left alone, the single greatest freedom there is, is as dead as Julius Caesar.

No, freedom is freedom.

My point is that even if you ended all government regulations on technology, as technology improves privacy will go down. There is literally nothing you can do about it.

The easier it is to link information to other relevant information, the harder it is to conceal things. We will evolve greatly as a species in the next 30 years, technology will force us to.

In a free state, what stops a company from selling me infrared technology that can see through walls? It is, after all, a voluntary transaction.

Not to mention satellites are already reaching the point where they can zoom in close enough to make out your face, there is a great marketing opportunity there.

heavenlyboy34
02-25-2012, 01:50 PM
That makes no sense.

No thanks.

This^^ Zen overlooked privacy-enhancing services that continue to improve (like Lifelock). I don't see privacy being totally eliminated. We'll just need to be more vigilant about it.

heavenlyboy34
02-25-2012, 01:52 PM
No, freedom is freedom.

My point is that even if you ended all government regulations on technology, as technology improves privacy will go down. There is literally nothing you can do about it.
Disagree. There will be more incentive to provide services that protect privacy in the future.

ZenBowman
02-25-2012, 01:53 PM
Disagree. There will be more incentive to provide services that protect privacy in the future.

That is an excellent point, but for the most part, it will be too inconvenient for most people - most people just put everything on facebook as is. If anything, people will adapt their behavior, I think Joe Rogan had some similar ideas in a recent podcast of his.

We are evolving at a very rapid rate, except its almost 100% external technological evolution. We live in a very interesting time.

LibertasPraesidium
02-25-2012, 01:56 PM
Although I did not use facebook a great deal prior to 2008, now I do, and I do not care what information is collected about me. I have my privacy settings Maxed out, only because it is a very very very small step in preventing people from having access to my page. I do not put things on my profile that I do not wish for others to see. For example, there are 1 or 2 references to marijuana hidden within my profile, thats it, further, I swear less on facebook than I do anywhere else. The extension of facebook as part of who I am is a positive thing as I connect with people around the country and globe. Spreading my ideas, the ideas of liberty, and hoping to further the discourse of ideas in general.

This is why I use facebook, if some governmental organization decides to convict me on something they found on facebook, it becomes very easy, as I can post anything on there, how are they to know beyond a reasonable doubt that I put something serious on my facebook? I can bring up the entire history of my facebook and ask why I am not being charged for any of the other crimes. Free speech is free speech on my page and when used against me it is still free.

I know that there are currently laws, that impede my free speech on facebook, but those can be undone after RP gets elected to POTUS. If it were not for the internet and the innovations that are abound, we would not be having these great discussion on the evils of using Facebook.... and without the internet I doubt that most of us would even speak to each other. No matter how bad things will become on line or off, I am very happy the internet exists.