PDA

View Full Version : Ron Paul Hits the Campaign Trail in Michigan

sailingaway
02-24-2012, 08:12 PM
Ron Paul Hits the Campaign Trail in Michigan

Read more here: http://www.sunherald.com/2012/02/24/3775548/ron-paul-hits-the-campaign-trail.html#storylink=cpy

events:

Details of the events are as follows. All times Eastern.

Saturday, February 25th

6:00 p.m.
“Soldiers, Airmen and Sailors for Ron Paul”
Plachta Auditorium
Warriner Hall
Central Michigan University
Mount Pleasant, MI 48859

Sunday, February 26th

4:00 p.m.
Speech to small business owners
The Pinnacle Center
3330 Highland Drive
Hudsonville, MI 49426

Monday, February 27th

11:00 a.m.
“Solving Detroit’s Crises” Town Hall
Little Rock Baptist Church
8801 Woodward Avenue
Detroit, MI 48202

East Lansing Rally
Concert Auditorium
Michigan State University
149 Auditorium Rd
East Lansing, MI 48824
To RSVP to the Michigan State University Rally, please go to link.

7:00 p.m.
“Doctors for Doctor Paul” Rally
Ford Community and Performing Arts Center
15801 Michigan Avenue
Dearborn, MI 48126
*To register and get in early to all the events please visit: http://state.ronpaul2012.com/mi/

Read more here: http://www.sunherald.com/2012/02/24/3775548/ron-paul-hits-the-campaign-trail.html#storylink=cpy

Links for maps and reservations at link

Scott_in_PA
02-24-2012, 08:21 PM
And this:

Tuesday, February 28, 2012

6:30 p.m.
Springfield Rally
The Waterford
6715 Commerce Street
Springfield, Virginia 22150

It's too far for me but I'm glad he's gonna be in VA.:D

Dublin4Paul
02-24-2012, 08:26 PM
And this:

Tuesday, February 28, 2012

6:30 p.m.
Springfield Rally
The Waterford
6715 Commerce Street
Springfield, Virginia 22150

It's too far for me but I'm glad he's gonna be in VA.:D

Same, really cool that he'll be in Virginia. I'm not betting on a win, but I'm really hoping we can consolidate most of the anti-Romney vote and at least make it some kind of a nail-biter finish.

freedomforever!
02-24-2012, 09:38 PM
Yay! Going to see him on Sunday!

KEEF
02-24-2012, 09:41 PM
Yay! Going to see him on Sunday!

Me too!! See you in Hudsonville!

moonshine5757
02-24-2012, 11:52 PM
Anyone want to explain why he is wasting his time in Michigan? Ron is never gonna win the state. He should just focus on the easier ones. The ones that Romney and Santorum are spending money like crazy. Isn't this why we avoided Florida? So why is it okay now?

sailingaway
02-25-2012, 12:02 AM
When Florida seemed to be considering proportional delegates he considered going, until they decided not to. Michigan has proportional delegates, and going into supertuesday he doesn't want numbers in the basement. And to get proportional numbers the GOP there says you have to get 15%.

Scott_in_PA
02-25-2012, 12:04 AM
According to the updated Michigan Republican Party delegate rules forwarded to FHQ by Neil King at the Wall Street Journal it looks like this:
28 congressional district delegates (2 per each of the 14 districts): allocated winner-take-all based on the vote in the congressional district
2 at-large delegates: allocated winner-take-all2
0 automatic delegates: Penalized states lose their automatic delegates.

Now, this has a couple of significant implications:
The Michigan Republican Party completely gutted its at-large delegate total and kind of sort of skirted the proportionality requirement in the process. Hey, it is hard to allocate two delegates proportionally.
With such a reduced at-large total, the real battle in the Great Lakes state is not statewide, but from congressional district to congressional district. Strategically, the, if you're Mitt Romney or a Romney-aligned super PAC, you focus on the districts in and around the Detroit area and perhaps cede the rest of the state to Santorum. And if you're the Santorum camp you try and gobble up as much of the remainder as you can and hope to crack into those Detroit areas.

hxxp://frontloading.blogspot.com/2012/02/2012-republican-delegate-allocation_14.html

ichirix
02-25-2012, 12:05 AM
Anyone want to explain why he is wasting his time in Michigan? Ron is never gonna win the state. He should just focus on the easier ones. The ones that Romney and Santorum are spending money like crazy. Isn't this why we avoided Florida? So why is it okay now?

Florida was a winner take all state. Michigan is proportional so as long as Ron hits the 15% threshold, we'll get bound delegates The polls showed him anywhere between 10-16% pre-debate so hopefully the scheduled rallies/town halls in the next few days will up that number as Santorum begins to fall.

Plus...
I'm optimistic that we can at least win Justin Amash's 3rd district.

sailingaway
02-25-2012, 12:07 AM
Santorum is suddenly spending a day in a few different events AROUND Detroit, since Ron scheduled going into it.

angelatc
02-25-2012, 12:10 AM
Florida was a winner take all state. Michigan is proportional so as long as Ron hits the 15% threshold, we'll get bound delegates The polls showed him anywhere between 10-16% pre-debate so hopefully the scheduled rallies/town halls in the next few days will up that number as Santorum begins to fall.

Plus...
I'm optimistic that we can at least win Justin Amash's 3rd district.

Ron has family that lives in that area too. That's probably why there isn't an event scheduled for Sunday. I think last time he was in Michigan, there was a private event one day.

MikefromSyracuse
02-25-2012, 12:12 AM
Moonshine -- I'll take a stab at it....

First the specs on Michigan:

MICHIGAN 2012
Numbers
30 Total Delegates
Penalized 29 delegates per Rule No. 16
Important Dates
Primary: 2/28/12
County Conventions: 5/3/12
CD Caucus: 5/18/12
State Convention: 5/19/12
Selection Method
Primary, Convention
Delegates Bound for 1 Ballot
o 30 Bound
Selection Details
AL (means at large/over the whole state) – Delegate allocation: Proportional if candidate
reaches 15% threshold.
Delegate election: At State Convention
CD (congressional district) – Delegate allocation: Winner-take-all per CD
Delegate election: At CD Caucuses
================================================== ===============
If RP gets over 15% of total vote he gets a piece of the 'at large' pie of delegates.
If he wins a CD he gets all of that CD's delegates.

The campaign must have some good internal polling info regarding the overall numbers and perhaps one or two CD's -- like in districts with college towns like East Lansing.

The Santo swoon may be arriving by Tues nite too.

HenryKnoxFineBooks
02-25-2012, 12:18 AM
:p

sailingaway
02-25-2012, 12:20 AM
Ron has family that lives in that area too. That's probably why there isn't an event scheduled for Sunday. I think last time he was in Michigan, there was a private event one day.

I'm sure there's an event Sunday.

Sunday, February 26th

Speech to small business owners
The Pinnacle Center
3330 Highland Drive
Hudsonville, MI 49426

kathy88
02-25-2012, 01:49 AM
Santorum is suddenly spending a day in a few different events AROUND Detroit, since Ron scheduled going into it.

At one of Santorum's events yesterday there were less than 200 people there, including a group of nuns :) :) :)

CaseyJones
02-25-2012, 09:54 AM
bump

fez2008
02-25-2012, 10:35 AM
I find it hard to believe he can win congressional districts when the over all vote percentage will be at most 20%.
Suppose for the sake of argument lets say he wins 2 CDs: that is 4 delegates
vs.
The 65 delegates at play in WA + ND and the perception of multiple wins (the argument that we are winning delegates does not change the narrative and the avg voter does not understand this).

I think there is not even a question as to which one is better to spend resources on. The 3 days spent in Michigan could have won 3 states on Mar3/6 (especially with no one else campaigning there). Food for thought for the campaign and everyone else.

amonasro
02-25-2012, 10:49 AM
Michigan is also unique in that there are two Big Ten colleges (MSU, UofM) within two hours of one another. Throw in WMU and Central and you've got a massive potential college vote. Ann Arbor holds their version of Hempfest every year where local cops have let people openly smoke marijuana. It's also a MMJ state.

Also consider the large Arab population that loves Dr Paul in Detroit and he has the potential to do well.