PDA

View Full Version : New Poll of Georgia

RonPaulFanInGA
02-24-2012, 07:20 PM
http://www.wsbtv.com/news/news/local/poll-gingrich-holds-commanding-lead-georgia/nKPxm/

Gingrich: 38%
Santorum: 25%
Romney: 19%
Paul: 4%

bbartlog
02-24-2012, 07:21 PM
Gingrich down from 65% I see. But it's still his stomping ground and I expect him to win it. Which is OK from a vote-splitting perspective... better him than Santorum.

peluski17
02-24-2012, 08:27 PM
This poll makes me sad because I live in Georgia. But on the bright side...Paul's chances of winning the most delegates is still high. We would just have to get through 1 or 2 ballots at the National Convention before we could vote for Paul...unless our candidate releases us or drops out.

Dublin4Paul
02-24-2012, 08:29 PM
I wonder if we could overtake Romney in Georgia from now till then. Wishful thinking, I know, but stranger things have happened this season and it would be a pretty interesting dynamic.

Student Of Paulism
02-24-2012, 08:35 PM
Boy, they really don't like RP down that way, unreal. Makes sense though, SC pretty much wanted to lynch him at that debate, booing the golden rule and all :rolleyes: Thank goodness they cancelled the debate in GA in March, im sure that one would have been even worse and they would have been throwing rotten fruit and veggies at him.

Savvy Jack
02-24-2012, 08:37 PM
But didn't Paul just win the Staw Poll in Atlanta?

CJLauderdale4
02-24-2012, 08:44 PM
This was a poll of 45 neighbors in Gingrich's old neighborhood.

liveandletlive
02-24-2012, 08:53 PM
totally expected, no offense to any native georgians

Aratus
02-24-2012, 08:57 PM
in august herman cain won the fish fry straw poll in perry, georgia by only three votes

IDefendThePlatform
02-24-2012, 09:02 PM
You've got to be s***ting me. 4%?

On the plus side we've dominated several straw polls down there the last few months, so hopefully the campaign stays organized and gets the delegates. Then at the national convention the state will go to newt on the first vote, he obviously won't win, and then the delegates will become unbound for subsequent votes. This is exactly the kind of state we need to stay vigilant on if we are going to win in a brokered convention.

Spikkle
02-24-2012, 09:27 PM
A lot of the folks here are as bigotted as they come. Though to date I've had six or eight folks cheer from their cars for my Ron Paul decal! One gentleman in his late 50's or early 60's. There is still hope for the real people's choice!!

blsheets
02-24-2012, 09:28 PM
this state stinks.

alucard13mmfmj
02-24-2012, 09:29 PM
Well... Newt may surge back up when it goes back to the confederate states?

gerryb
02-24-2012, 09:36 PM
just get some of the delegates! C'mon Georgia!

peluski17
02-24-2012, 09:36 PM

Those straw polls were polls from the Mass Precinct Meetings which means there were more Ron Paul supporters vying as delegates for the Republican National Convention. I was one of the voters. So, we may not win the beauty contest, but we may win the delegate count.

IDefendThePlatform
02-24-2012, 09:42 PM
just get all of the delegates! C'mon Georgia!

Fixed it for you. :)

zerosdontcount
02-24-2012, 09:56 PM
We have crazy amounts of delegates trust me, I'm one of them. We are winning the Atlanta vote by a huge margin and that is where most of the population of georgia is.

SwooshOU
02-24-2012, 10:18 PM
My father in law is from Georgia and is the neo-est con of them all. In fact, he said he'd vote OBAMA before PAUL!!!

digitaldean
02-24-2012, 11:43 PM
Georgia is lost people but if we can get delegates then that's a plus. Please focus on these states: Washington, Alaska, Idaho, North Dakota, Ohio, Vermont, or Virginia. Paul has the best chance here to come in first or second with a great ground game.

kah13176
02-24-2012, 11:49 PM
I live in Gingrich's hometown. We're sign-waving when he visits next week.

ichirix
02-24-2012, 11:57 PM
just get some of the delegates! C'mon Georgia!

Georgia has a 20% threshold for bound delegates.
Ron probably doesn't have much of a shot and given recent polls, Romney is tinkering on the fringe of that threshold too.

RickyJ
02-24-2012, 11:59 PM

Yeah he sure did. The poll is garbage. Ron Paul will do very well in Georgia.

digitaldean
02-25-2012, 12:04 AM
Ron probably doesn't have much of a shot and given recent polls, Romney is tinkering on the fringe of that threshold too.

If that is true then I have no problem with Newt winning with 50-60% of the vote. At least 100% will go to Newt who only helps us by keeping any delegates away from Santorum/Mitt.

bobmurph
02-25-2012, 12:09 AM

20% threshold is for the delegates bound by the State Convention. District Convention delegates are not bound by the 20% threshold. Either way, we dominated at counties all over the state at the Mass Precinct meetings last weekend and will hold majorities at the County Conventions and thus District Conventions. 42 of the 76 are awarded at the district conventions, not the state convention.

Keith and stuff
02-25-2012, 12:15 AM
GA is in the South. The South is Ron Paul's weakest area. Republicans are more likely to lean libertarian in most other parts of the country. Especially, socially.

IDefendThePlatform
02-25-2012, 12:20 AM
20% threshold is for the delegates bound by the State Convention. District Convention delegates are not bound by the 20% threshold. Either way, we dominated at counties all over the state at the Mass Precinct meetings last weekend and will hold majorities at the County Conventions and thus District Conventions. 42 of the 76 are awarded at the district conventions, not the state convention.

Are the bound delegates still elected or are they appointed by whomever wins them? If they're elected we would still have a chance to get those slots, right? Then our people would be bound to vote for newt on the first ballot but free to vote for Ron after that?

digitaldean
02-25-2012, 12:23 AM

That is very interesting news to hear. So your saying that if Ron Paul gets 10-19% of the overall vote he can still win delegates? Are you 100% sure that going into a brokered convention that Paul will get no less than 20 out of 76 from Georgia?

XTreat
02-25-2012, 12:24 AM
I am co-county coordinator for 2 counties, we dominated the delegate process at both county during the mass precinct meetings. Just a FYI.

bobmurph
02-25-2012, 12:26 AM
Are the bound delegates still elected or are they appointed by whomever wins them? If they're elected we would still have a chance to get those slots, right? Then our people would be bound to vote for newt on the first ballot but free to vote for Ron after that?

All of the delegates will be elected, whether at the District or State convention(s). We can pick up delegates at either, but we will probably have more power in numbers at the district conventions.

bobmurph
02-25-2012, 12:38 AM
That is very interesting news to hear. So your saying that if Ron Paul gets 10-19% of the overall vote he can still win delegates? Are you 100% sure that going into a brokered convention that Paul will get no less than 20 out of 76 from Georgia?

Ok...I might have to eat a little crow here. I'm no expert but I believe the break down is as follows. Each District has 3 delegates. 18 districts in all, resulting in 42 (of the 76 total) delegates which will go to Tampa. The remaining 34 delegates will be elected at the State convention. If a candidate wins the GA Primary with a majority, then all 3 delegates from each district will be bound to that candidate. In the event of a vote without a candidate holding a majority, then 2 of the delegates will be awarded to the candidate with a plurality and 1 to the candidate with the second most votes. At the State convention the delegates will be awarded proportionally based on the results of the primary, with 20% being the minimum threshold to qualify.

The bottom line regarding the district level, is that if we maintain our majorities (which we held at most of the Mass Precinct meetings) at the County Conventions and elect only Paul supporters, then we can potentially hold majorities at the district conventions and thus elect Paul supporters to the National Convention from the district level. So in the event of a brokered convention we could have a large share of "stealth delegates" for Ron Paul.

musicmax
02-25-2012, 12:42 AM
http://www.wsbtv.com/news/news/local/poll-gingrich-holds-commanding-lead-georgia/nKPxm/

Gingrich: 38%
Santorum: 25%
Romney: 19%
Paul: 4%

http://cdn.styleforum.net/6/6c/350x277px-LL-6c0289ae_fuck.gif

Fermli
02-25-2012, 12:48 AM
half of the 4% are people named Paul.

I kid =)

BamaAla
02-25-2012, 12:49 AM
We're only doing marginally better in 'Bama. Keep on fighting.

gerryb
02-25-2012, 12:59 AM

What's your delegate process like.. as friendly as GA I hope?

RickyJ
02-25-2012, 01:04 AM

This is crazy! I got to get out of the south I guess. I have lived in Georgia most of my life, but if Ron Paul truly is only getting 4% here they I am out of here as soon as possible!

satchelmcqueen
02-25-2012, 01:49 AM
same here
This poll makes me sad because I live in Georgia. But on the bright side...Paul's chances of winning the most delegates is still high. We would just have to get through 1 or 2 ballots at the National Convention before we could vote for Paul...unless our candidate releases us or drops out.

unknown
02-25-2012, 02:07 AM
We would just have to get through 1 or 2 ballots at the National Convention before we could vote for Paul...unless our candidate releases us or drops out.

Which in the case of everyone but Romney is a real possibility.

Tinnuhana
02-25-2012, 03:21 AM
So, if Ron's such a "neo-Confederate" (sarc), why aren't they all voting for him?

nobody's_hero
02-25-2012, 11:07 AM
A lot of the folks here are as bigotted as they come. Though to date I've had six or eight folks cheer from their cars for my Ron Paul decal! One gentleman in his late 50's or early 60's. There is still hope for the real people's choice!!

Yeah, we're winning the bumper sticker fight. I can say that much. I haven't seen a single bumper sticker for another candidate other than Ron Paul in Georgia (except the left-over McCain-Palin stickers; time to let those two go, GA republicans).

Too bad the bumper stickers themselves can't vote.