PDA

View Full Version : Mitt Romney Fact check: Does Romney "believe in the Constitution"?

PolicyReader
02-24-2012, 06:01 PM
http://www.examiner.com/independent-in-salt-lake-city/fact-check-does-romney-believe-the-constitution

If Mitt Romney is elected to be the 45th President of the United States, he would place his hand on a Bible and swear a short oath that is set in the Constitution itself: "I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will faithfully execute the Office of President of the United States, and will to the best of my ability, preserve, protect and defend the Constitution of the United States."
Now let's read the article and see how likely he is to keep or break his Oath if he were elected to office.

PierzStyx
02-24-2012, 06:06 PM
He believes in it in the vague and undefined way that most people believe in life on other planets. Its not fundamental for him. And as a fellow LDS, I find that depressing.

DerailingDaTrain
02-24-2012, 06:27 PM
I don't know. I'll have to consult the lawyers on that one

PolicyReader
02-25-2012, 01:27 PM
He believes in it in the vague and undefined way that most people believe in life on other planets. Its not fundamental for him. And as a fellow LDS, I find that depressing.
I wish folks like you were the rule rather than the exception (and I don't mean among the LDS faith specifically, I mean within the US electorate generally, people don't read the details of ideas or consider their tangible implications all that often. It's sad for all of us :( )

GunnyFreedom
02-25-2012, 01:50 PM
Well, the LDS particularly has very strong views on government obeying the Constitution. Doctrinally, that is, that's not to say that the members in general uphold that doctrine any better than Baptists uphold 'render unto Caesar what is Caesar's and render unto God what is God's" or "Judge not lest ye be judged" etc etc.

In a side note, I am receiving a mountain of LDS prophecies by regular and registered mail. All the sudden and right out of the blue, I am in my official capacity as a State House Rep being inundated with an avalanche of LDS end-times prophecies in my mailbox and by registered mail requiring signatures. It's just odd...

PierzStyx
02-25-2012, 05:17 PM
Well, the LDS particularly has very strong views on government obeying the Constitution. Doctrinally, that is, that's not to say that the members in general uphold that doctrine any better than Baptists uphold 'render unto Caesar what is Caesar's and render unto God what is God's" or "Judge not lest ye be judged" etc etc.

In a side note, I am receiving a mountain of LDS prophecies by regular and registered mail. All the sudden and right out of the blue, I am in my official capacity as a State House Rep being inundated with an avalanche of LDS end-times prophecies in my mailbox and by registered mail requiring signatures. It's just odd...

That is odd. Do you have a decently sized LDS minority in your district?

Also, are you sure its LDS? Sometime people confuse us for Jehovah's Witnesses. Just mentioning it. Some people think The Watchtower Society (aka the Jehovah's Witnesses) and us are the same. Our church members do get a little...excited sometimes too though. So it wouldn't surprise me TO much, just a little.

GunnyFreedom
02-25-2012, 11:16 PM
That is odd. Do you have a decently sized LDS minority in your district?

Also, are you sure its LDS? Sometime people confuse us for Jehovah's Witnesses. Just mentioning it. Some people think The Watchtower Society (aka the Jehovah's Witnesses) and us are the same. Our church members do get a little...excited sometimes too though. So it wouldn't surprise me TO much, just a little.

Ohh no it's definitely LDS. I've gotten 4 large mailers requiring signature in the last two weeks, and over a dozen normal emails, all sent to "Representative Glen Bradley" from the FLDS Fundamental Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, one Vaughan E. Taylor of Colorado City Arizona. All of them different end times prophecies from different people contemporary to current day, not copied from the Book of Mormon, but apparently written extemporaneously.