PDA

View Full Version : Barack Obama Bill Maher Gives $1 Milliion to Obama Super PAC

Liberty_Mike
02-24-2012, 03:56 PM
Bill Maher donated $1 million to an Obama Super PAC last night. I find it very odd, since Maher has criticized a lot of Obama's policies the past few years, saying he has extended many of Bush's policies. It looks like Maher has just been playing his progressive audience since Obama got elected, and is now coming out as the true schill for Obama he is.

WASHINGTON -- Stephen Colbert may not support the idea of super PACs, but fellow political satirist Bill Maher is buying into the system -- literally.

During a performance of his comedy special "CrazyStupidPolitics" Thursday night, Maher announced a gift of $1 million to Priorities USA Action, an Obama-supporting super PAC. While he mocked the group's clunky name, saying it was "named by Borat," his publicist said that Maher was deadly serious about the donation and believed a second term for Obama was “worth a million dollars."

Continued - http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/02/24/bill-maher-super-pac-obama-_n_1299250.html?ref=politics

bluesc
02-24-2012, 04:00 PM
I thought he was opposed to the idea of superPACs? I guess he only disagrees with rich people donating unlimited funds unless he is the rich person donating.

unknown
02-24-2012, 04:01 PM
I was really surprised to see this.

Really thought he was coming around to the good doctor.

Liberty_Mike
02-24-2012, 04:03 PM
I thought he was opposed to the idea of superPACs? I guess he only disagrees with rich people donating unlimited funds unless he is the rich person donating.

Funny, isn't it? Maher always criticized Super PACs, yet when it comes down to the guy he supports, Super PACs seem to be ok! What a crock Maher is. I have to admit I definitely like his comedy, the guy does a good job mixing politics with stand up, but in the end he is nothing more than another Obama-bot.

tttppp
02-24-2012, 04:07 PM
Bill Maher donated $1 million to an Obama Super PAC last night. I find it very odd, since Maher has criticized a lot of Obama's policies the past few years, saying he has extended many of Bush's policies. It looks like Maher has just been playing his progressive audience since Obama got elected, and is now coming out as the true schill for Obama he is.

WASHINGTON -- Stephen Colbert may not support the idea of super PACs, but fellow political satirist Bill Maher is buying into the system -- literally.

During a performance of his comedy special "CrazyStupidPolitics" Thursday night, Maher announced a gift of $1 million to Priorities USA Action, an Obama-supporting super PAC. While he mocked the group's clunky name, saying it was "named by Borat," his publicist said that Maher was deadly serious about the donation and believed a second term for Obama was “worth a million dollars."

Continued - http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/02/24/bill-maher-super-pac-obama-_n_1299250.html?ref=politics

He's always done a great job of criticizing the republicans but gives the democrats a free pass. Its no surprise he's supporting Obama.

trey4sports
02-24-2012, 04:10 PM
I find it interesting that Maher has that kind of money to throw around. Bill isn't that successful.

Tina
02-24-2012, 04:15 PM
I was really surprised to see this.

Really thought he was coming around to the good doctor.

I think his problem with Ron is his Israel stance. He made an issue of it once on air. He had Benjamin Netanyahu on one time and was sucking up to him so much, it was sickening.

Tina
02-24-2012, 04:17 PM
I find it interesting that Maher has that kind of money to throw around. Bill isn't that successful.

He's pretty successful, actually.

Voluntary Man
02-24-2012, 04:20 PM
Is Maher still pretending to be a "libertarian"?

bluesc
02-24-2012, 04:22 PM

Isn't Glenn Beck?

I've gotta say, Glenn Beck is much closer to a libertarian than Maher is.

DerailingDaTrain
02-24-2012, 04:30 PM
In the end I've always know that Bill Maher is a Democrat and he seems to be buying into the belief (like other Dems) that Obama will do everything he promised to "in his second term".

Perry
02-24-2012, 04:36 PM
He's a Christian hater.

DerailingDaTrain
02-24-2012, 04:46 PM
^ With the way most "Christians" act I don't blame him for that. But donating to Obama's re-election campaign is the last straw for me after he criticized him for everything he didn't do that he promised he would. I just can't watch his show anymore.

Voluntary Man
02-24-2012, 04:47 PM
Isn't Glenn Beck?

Don't know. I don't really pay much attention to either of them.

anaconda
02-24-2012, 04:48 PM
Great. Bill Maher supports undeclared wars, the patriot act, indefinite detention, illegal wire taps, and the sustained rip off of the middle class.

Perry
02-24-2012, 04:51 PM
^ With the way most "Christians" act I don't blame him for that. But donating to Obama's re-election campaign is the last straw for me after he criticized him for everything he didn't do that he promised he would. I just can't watch his show anymore.

So you don't blame him...but you blame him. Ok. BTW your comment about most Christians is ignorant. It should have said most "people".

Voluntary Man
02-24-2012, 04:51 PM
^ With the way most "Christians" act I don't blame him for [hating them].

You could say the same about most groups.

dannno
02-24-2012, 04:53 PM
I'm pretty sure this is all about the insane Christians who want to make birth control illegal....

So retarded.. It's like they WANT Obama to be elected a second term.

Kade
02-24-2012, 04:53 PM
Isn't Glenn Beck?

Under what definition? Push the civil libertarians right out of the mix, honestly this stuff is getting to me enough that I'm about inches from just giving up already... Glenn Beck... GLENN - FREAKING - GOLDFOIL - BECK I'm beside myself with something and I can't quite be certain if it is bile or sheer rage.

No, I will dare to stand defiantly, again, and claim without fear that a theocratic or reconstructionist "libertarian" is not a libertarian.

and to which, I don't follow good advice, do I? Bend it like BECKham.

To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. ~ Thomas Paine

pauliticalfan
02-24-2012, 05:00 PM
This was at his stand up show that I watched online last night. He ripped all the GOP candidates hard core...except Ron Paul. He actually gave Ron Paul major props on foreign policy and the crowd went wild. I didn't make a thread here about it because it was right before his $1 million dollar donation to Obama, and we don't want that associated with us.

bluesc
02-24-2012, 05:08 PM
Under what definition? Push the civil libertarians right out of the mix, honestly this stuff is getting to me enough that I'm about inches from just giving up already... Glenn Beck... GLENN - FREAKING - GOLDFOIL - BECK I'm beside myself with something and I can't quite be certain if it is bile or sheer rage.

No, I will dare to stand defiantly, again, and claim without fear that a theocratic or reconstructionist "libertarian" is not a libertarian.

and to which, I don't follow good advice, do I? Bend it like BECKham.

To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. ~ Thomas Paine

Glenn Beck is not a libertarian by any measure. Nor is Maher. Beck is, however, closer to libertarianism than Maher.

Some people may say "but Beck is loyal to Israel!" or "Maher says he is against Iraq/Afghan war!" but those "positions" are interchangeable between the candidates. Beck has said he is against the wars and having troops around the world, but says we should support Israel unconditionally. Maher has said the same thing.

Maher has even admitted that he only considers himself a libertarian when it comes to the drug war. Glenn Beck has spoken out against the drug war too, at least in its current form. I consider market views to have much more weight when determining one's position on the political compass. Maher is an extreme liberal in that case, and Beck is at least leaning conservative/free markets.

Their political views are still terrible though when you look at the big picture.

DerailingDaTrain
02-24-2012, 05:24 PM
So you don't blame him...but you blame him. Ok. BTW your comment about most Christians is ignorant. It should have said most "people".

lol that would be why I said I don't blame him for THAT. Also, I believe most of the "people" who are Christians in this country want to bomb Iran and every other country, boo the Golden Rule, etc. which doesn't sound very Christian to me so I don't blame him for not liking them. Not the thread for a religion conversation though. If you want to take it to PM that is fine.

Back on topic though I would say that Bill Maher isn't really against the wars and he often makes jokes about "terrorists" dying in drone attacks, going to war, etc.

narrowphoenix
02-24-2012, 06:23 PM
I love how Maher "prevents" to be a libertarian but doesn't agree with Paul on anything except bring the troops home. He's just a big government liberal that thinks the government knows best and will help and save everyone from themselves. That's what happens when you have no moral from church/God, and think the government can teach morality. He's pathetic!

DerailingDaTrain
02-24-2012, 06:29 PM
I love how Maher "prevents" to be a libertarian but doesn't agree with Paul on anything except bring the troops home. He's just a big government liberal that thinks the government knows best and will help and save everyone from themselves. That's what happens when you have no moral from church/God, and think the government can teach morality. He's pathetic!

He's not a libertarian and he himself stated in one episode that people only say that because he wants to "smoke pot". He is a Democrat who wants the government to give him rights.

Lishy
02-24-2012, 06:48 PM
Not to defend Obama, but any support for Obama is a lot more understandable than the "three republican stooges".

But Considering Ron Paul would kick Obama's ass in a 1v1 debate, a donation to Obama is a donation not given to the three stooges!

Just saying.

ZENemy
02-24-2012, 06:53 PM
WTF? WOW what a fucking fake! Bill CLAIMED to love RP...I was never a HUGE fan of Bill but I will NEVER EVER watch him AGAIN!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Drjza4qcle4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_KkegqMIsA&feature=related

JuicyG
02-24-2012, 07:03 PM

Nope.

Unfortunately this is what happens when the right is corrupted by religious propaganda. It makes some sick to their stomach and would rather vote democrat instead which is sad. I think Maher could have been converted to our side hadn`t been for all this constant religious BS.

EBounding
02-24-2012, 07:18 PM
So can we stop pretending this guy's our pal now? His compliments of Ron are always half-hearted or backhanded.

ryanmkeisling
02-24-2012, 07:32 PM
So can we stop pretending this guy's our pal now? His compliments of Ron are always half-hearted or backhanded.

This.

Student Of Paulism
02-24-2012, 07:43 PM
The problem with people like Maher and Beck is they just can't bring themselves to fully push all their chips in and stand up for what they believe in, or call it like it is. That would be, cutting themselves off from the whole oligopoly of the UK/IL that pulls our strings. Beck isn't really a bad guy, he isn't some evil illuminary type, and i think people forget he was airing out many details of the NWO and most of their acolytes, front organizations, vile UN programs for depopulation and one world government, on a network that basically supports every damn aspect of it...which was why he was fired. The final straw was the Soros bashing he did, and obviously that did not go over well and im sure Soros had a say in Beck being fired. Since he is in bed with that other piece of crap, Murdoch (who have crap loads of dirt on each other) Murdoch had no choice to cut him loose, not to mention he and his Newscore is under investigation right now in the UK and possibly over here for tampering, spying, and bribing police. That's another story though.

But anyway, you guys all remembered what happened to Helen Thomas, right? And that was as harmless a statement about IL as you can get and she meant nothing slanderous whatsoever. These guys know if they bad mouth IL, you are going to be erased in every way possible. Even in Germany, i have heard that budding journalists have to sign a doc that basically says you are not allowed to write/say negative things on IL. It's utterly ridiculous what it has come to with that friggin country, when they have broken hundreds of international laws, guilty of so many atrocities, and at this point, are not really all that far from being on 'Nazi level' (at least when it comes to the main leadership there).

So yea, Beck is a really smart guy and he is far from stupid, and i agree, he definitely leans toward Libertarianism more than Maher, but the fact he can't bring himself to just go the 'Alex Jones' route is really disappointing. Most of the things AJ talks about, Glenn has done too, but he is very careful in HOW he does it. He wont bad mouth IL, and wont point the finger at certain people who are too closely tied to IL as well.

TheTexan
02-24-2012, 08:43 PM

Maher's only a libertarian when it comes to smoking weed. He's perfectly ok with taking my money using force, as long as he can get high.

Voluntary Man
02-25-2012, 09:34 PM
Maher's only a libertarian when it comes to smoking weed. He's perfectly ok with taking my money using force, as long as he can get high.

He'd probably support legislation that would have you murdered and your property seized and auctioned, to buy him weed.

RonPaulFanInGA
02-25-2012, 09:45 PM
Bill Maher Gives $1 Milliion to Obama Super PAC

As with Kucinich voting for Obamacare, this will surprise a surprising number of people here.

Victor Grey
02-25-2012, 10:07 PM

He's probably support legislation that would have you murdered and your property seized and auctioned, to buy him weed.

This is pretty much the exact criticism I've stated toward Bill Maher many times before. He is a libertine leftist, and that is all he's ever been. He's no friend to freedom.
He's a self serving leftist that thinks hides behind a robe of phony generosity and caring; he wants your stuff.

Bill Maher's idea of freedom, is akin to being a house pet.

So can we stop pretending this guy's our pal now?

Jonathanm
02-25-2012, 10:12 PM
This is a bit surprising to be honest. Bill Maher has a lot of beliefs I can't agree with, but I never thought he'd be this hardcore about his support of Obama. I've always understood Bill Maher to be anti-war, and anti-prohibition, and yet Obama has been terrible on both of these fronts. Obama has actually been worse on things like medical marijuana than Bush was. But, then again, doesn't Maher live in California? I guess if you live in a state that effectively has decriminalization, you don't have to worry about all of us other silly Americans who have to face imprisonment every day. :rolleyes:

That said, I don't think we can yell at him for disliking super pacs, but then supporting one. I loathe super pacs, but I know for a fact that if I had a significant portion of money I'd donate a great deal of it to a Ron Paul super pac. Just my two cents, though.

WTF? WOW what a fucking fake! Bill CLAIMED to love RP...I was never a HUGE fan of Bill but I will NEVER EVER watch him AGAIN!

If I'm not mistaken, I think Bill Maher was answering that way in regards to whether or not he'd vote for any of the then-running Republicans, not in the general election, but during the Republican nomination. I could very well be mistaken, though, as I haven't seen the video in a while.

That's what happens when you have no moral from church/God, and think the government can teach morality.

Oh come on now. There are plenty of atheist/agnostic Libertarians out there, and I've seen plenty of immoral religious folk. Let's not turn this into one of those: "It's the godless atheists!" debates. Religion has nothing to do with the fact that Bill Maher is a complete tool.

hells_unicorn
02-25-2012, 11:56 PM
I've often been amazed at how accommodating many on here have been towards Bill Maher and Dennis Kucinich, and while the former is understandable, between the latter's actual voting record and his daughter's horrifically hostile relationship with the truth as it pertains to Ron Paul this eventuality has bordered on outlandish. Maher is a foul-mouthed, irreverent moron who has maybe 2 libertarian views amongst a slew of Zionist and Communistic tendencies in his ideology, but his civility towards Paul had roped me in at one point. I can't stomach the blind support of Israel, especially coming from a self-proclaimed atheist who thinks all religion is holding back the human race, the hypocrisy crosses over from being pathetic and becomes nauseating. As to Dennis Kucinich, any man who can have his theological viewpoints modified for some hot to trot wife more than 20 years his junior gets a similar level of disdain from me.

One thing that I think many in the liberty movement need to understand is that we absolutely should never overlook the outright hypocrisy of our occasional allies, especially when their moral shortcomings mirror those of people like Santorum and Gingrich, who I am sure few on this site would hesitate to verbally cut to pieces at the drop of a hat.

NewRightLibertarian
02-26-2012, 12:13 AM
I've often been amazed at how accommodating many on here have been towards Bill Maher and Dennis Kucinich, and while the former is understandable, between the latter's actual voting record and his daughter's horrifically hostile relationship with the truth as it pertains to Ron Paul this eventuality has bordered on outlandish. Maher is a foul-mouthed, irreverent moron who has maybe 2 libertarian views amongst a slew of Zionist and Communistic tendencies in his ideology, but his civility towards Paul had roped me in at one point. I can't stomach the blind support of Israel, especially coming from a self-proclaimed atheist who thinks all religion is holding back the human race, the hypocrisy crosses over from being pathetic and becomes nauseating. As to Dennis Kucinich, any man who can have his theological viewpoints modified for some hot to trot wife more than 20 years his junior gets a similar level of disdain from me.

One thing that I think many in the liberty movement need to understand is that we absolutely should never overlook the outright hypocrisy of our occasional allies, especially when their moral shortcomings mirror those of people like Santorum and Gingrich, who I am sure few on this site would hesitate to verbally cut to pieces at the drop of a hat.

Kucinich is at least anti-war consistently. He's not a sell out snake piece of dirt like Bill Maher who happily bends down to carry the water and propagandize for the 'cool black President.' He's one of the worst out there.

PierzStyx
02-26-2012, 12:19 AM

Exactly. Maher, has been a gigantic hypocritical ass his entire career. No reason to stop now.

Victor Grey
02-26-2012, 12:42 AM
One thing that I think many in the liberty movement need to understand is that we absolutely should never overlook the outright hypocrisy of our occasional allies,
especially when their moral shortcomings mirror those of people like Santorum and Gingrich, who I am sure few on this site would hesitate to verbally cut to pieces at the drop of a hat.

I second that. There's the place politically work with those like them everywhere you can, on the rare occasion it arises, but at the end of the day, the general political left will always still be the group that has an insatiable appetite for social welfare that will never be filled, ever, and an endless need to feel like they can control every minute private business matter like they're the owner,

and the political right will always be the group that is afraid to paranoia, of every last third world nation on
the globe somehow overtaking us, and the group which wants to restrict freedom since they're too immoral themselves to change the culture without use of force.

So Bill Maher wants to legalize pot.

So Glenn Beck wants to loosen the reins toward business freedom.

Those are far back in the cellar secondary issues for them. They're quirks.

Work with them there and other places you can, and stand solid against them on everything else. Might change the scene in the long run.
However seeing how they're so very prone to support politicians diametically opposed to any honest steps toward the liberty movement's goals; chasing after their entrenched niche issues of welfare and warfare, you are left with very little common ground when it comes to practical meanings anyway.

Maher and Dennis will always return to their slop pens of political welfare, by backing their Obama's and Pelosi's.
Glenn Beck will always ultimately, side with his Bushes and his Santorums.

The pull toward their niche issues, will always overpower what we have in common with them. So in effect, they're less useful than what we even appear to agree on.
They're chained to the rest of the scene and it will always drag them with it; they will go cheerfully.

The movement for liberty has to grow itself; those people aren't going to help anybody. Occasion allies was the best phrase to describe them that could of been used.