PDA

View Full Version : Arizona man arrested after rescuing and adopting raccoon

Danke
02-24-2012, 02:31 PM
Arizona man arrested after rescuing and adopting drowning raccoon
By Eric Pfeiffer | The Sideshow – 3 hrs ago

(AP/Bob Jordan)

When 57-year-old Stan Morris saw a raccoon drowning in the Colorado River, he decided to put his own health at risk by saving the struggling animal. Seven months later, the good-hearted deed landed Morris in jail.

Before his arrest, Morris and the raccoon he affectionately named "Sonny," had developed quite a bond, according to the Associated Press. Morris told police he first looked online to see if it was against the law to keep a raccoon as a pet. When he didn't find any information telling him otherwise, he decided to adopt Sonny.

Technically, it is legal to keep a raccoon as a pet in Arizona, but an owner must first obtain an exotic animal license or permit. Most states that do allow raccoon ownership recommend adopting one from a professional breeder.

Morris says Sonny became domesticated after being adopted. In fact, Arizona Game and Fish Department officers were only alerted to the situation when reports began surfacing of a man walking around town with a raccoon perched on his shoulders.

A look over the Game and Fish Department website gives the impression that Arizona doesn't care much for raccoons. Not only did the state arrest Morris for keeping Sonny as a pet, but it has a law that states a raccoon, "is the only animal in Arizona that can be legally taken with a firearm at night."

Still, even adopted raccoons have been known to bite owners or strangers who startle them. And some of the concern is for the raccoons themselves, who cannot be returned to the wild once domesticated as a pet. Raccoons typically live 10-15 years, making them a time commitment similar to that of a cat or a dog for any prospective owners. The website Furry Bones has some good guidelines on what to expect when adopting a raccoon.

The Humane Society warns that raccoons like Sonny are likely to be put to death by state wildlife authorities if they have not been properly adopted.

On Wednesday, Sonny was removed from Morris' home "without incident." Yahoo News made several calls to find out Sonny's fate and will update the story as soon as information is available.

Gary4Liberty
02-24-2012, 02:34 PM
no good deed goes unpunished

NidStyles
02-24-2012, 02:40 PM
So now they put Sonny up for adoption, and then kill him after trying to "save him" from this Stan guy. Because you know after seven months of him adopting the Racoon it became apparent that Sonny's life was in danger after being rescued from the Colorado River by Stan.

Do these people ever stop and think about the law's they are writing or enforcing? As an Arizonan, I am disappointed by this.

oyarde
02-25-2012, 12:36 AM
No suprise

MooCowzRock
02-25-2012, 12:44 AM
Arrest?? Why is something like this not at worst a fine? Why not just ask him to get the license?

Anti Federalist
02-25-2012, 12:45 AM
See Something, Say Something.

BamaAla
02-25-2012, 12:48 AM
Stories like this are not good for my blood pressure. What a bunch of (a string of words that would get me banned.) Really, where do they get off?

AFPVet
02-25-2012, 12:50 AM
The owner had no knowledge of the existing animal laws and lacked intent of malice. Give him a ticket and have him tell the judge.... I see no merit of confinement and an immediate court appearance. Seriously... let him have the animal and make him fill out the paperwork. People are freaking idiots these days.

RSLudlum
02-25-2012, 12:50 AM
from http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/sideshow/arizona-man-arrested-rescuing-adopting-drowning-raccoon-164249793.html

UPDATE: I spoke with Tom Cadden, a public information officer with the Arizona Game and Fish Department today, who provided some helpful information on this story. First, Cadden explained that Stan Morris was not in fact arrested for keeping a wild raccoon. Turns out, he was arrested for an outstanding, unrelated misdemeanor that turned up in police records after authorities were alerted to the raccoon situation.
Cadden also asked that we address reader concerns about the fate of Sonny the raccoon. "We'll be putting out feelers to the community," for someone who can adopt Sonny, Cadden tells Yahoo! News, saying that a zoo, animal rehabilitation center or an educational institution are the most likely destinations. Sonny would only be put to sleep if tests showed he had an infectious disease. Cadden's other concern was that readers might be misinterpreting Morris' actions. "After he rescued the raccoon, the best thing he could have done for it would have been to release it, or to contact the authorities," Cadden said. "By taking it home for several months the animal was 'imprinted.' He removed its chance to live its life in the wild," Cadden said. "The best thing people can do for wildlife is to keep them wild."

In other words, nature is red in tooth and claw. Morris should've just thrown Sonny back in the river and said, "Sorry you're wild and better learn to swim because the government man said it so."

Anti Federalist
02-25-2012, 12:56 AM
But nothing happens to these guys:

http://media.peopleofwalmart.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/3569.jpg

azxd
02-25-2012, 12:59 AM
So the reality is that this story is hyped up BS, and the man had an outstanding charge that needed to be cleared up.

Seven months later, the good-hearted deed landed Morris in jail.

A fabricated LIE to boost readership.

The good-hearted deed did not in fact land this man in jail, his lifestyle brought attention to him, and his past returned to haunt him.

Anti Federalist
02-25-2012, 01:00 AM
Or this:

(Reason #7344 why I will never shop for food at Wal Marx.)

http://media.peopleofwalmart.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/3567.jpg

heavenlyboy34
02-25-2012, 01:02 AM
So now they put Sonny up for adoption, and then kill him after trying to "save him" from this Stan guy. Because you know after seven months of him adopting the Racoon it became apparent that Sonny's life was in danger after being rescued from the Colorado River by Stan.

Do these people ever stop and think about the law's they are writing or enforcing? As an Arizonan, I am disappointed by this.
+1 But frankly, this is something that any human should be ashamed of-regardless where one comes from. Hey, AF- Что-то видеть, что-то скажи. ;) :mad:

azxd
02-25-2012, 01:22 AM

+1 But frankly, this is something that any human should be ashamed of-regardless where one comes from. Hey, AF- Что-то видеть, что-то скажи. ;) :mad:
Post #9 ... Game and Fish is not the human society.

Lafayette
02-25-2012, 01:35 AM
Arizona Game and Fish Department officers were only alerted to the situation when reports began surfacing of a man walking around town with a raccoon perched on his shoulders.

A whole lot more of our problems would be solved if people would just mind their own #&$@(^$! business when things do not affect nor concern them.

Anti Federalist
02-25-2012, 01:38 AM
A whole lot more of our problems would be solved if people would just mind their own #&$@(^$! business when things do not affect nor concern them.

See Something, Say Something.

Reported.

ForLiberty2012
02-25-2012, 01:39 AM
Lol poor guy must be lonely.

Gary4Liberty
02-25-2012, 09:12 AM
So the reality is that this story is hyped up BS, and the man had an outstanding charge that needed to be cleared up.

A fabricated LIE to boost readership.

The good-hearted deed did not in fact land this man in jail, his lifestyle brought attention to him, and his past returned to haunt him.

what was the charge? there was a warrant out for him? where are the references please, id like to see for myself.

azxd
02-25-2012, 11:18 AM
what was the charge? there was a warrant out for him? where are the references please, id like to see for myself.
Then do some research ... My comment is based on post #9

HOLLYWOOD
02-25-2012, 11:51 AM
AND... How much does all this cost the Arizonan and US taxpayers?

PS: My sister had a pet Racoon, it was a fun pet... but I think the kewlest pet she had was her skunk PePe.

oyarde
02-25-2012, 01:18 PM
I would have named it Rocky

oyarde
02-25-2012, 01:22 PM
Got him a leather collar with some studs on it , dyed the top of its head red and just told everyone it was one of my grandkids , nobody would have thought anything about it;)

123tim
02-25-2012, 01:41 PM
//