PDA

View Full Version : Rick Santorum Karen Santorum: Husband's sure is God's Will

Dianne
02-24-2012, 09:36 AM
http://www.washingtontimes.com/blog/inside-politics/2012/feb/23/karen-santorum-husbands-surge-gods-will/

The wife of presidential candidate Rick Santorum said Thursday that his rise in the polls is due to God working in mysterious ways.

"I personally think this is God's will. I think He has us on a path, and I do think there's a lot more happening than what we're seeing," Karen Santorum told Glenn Beck as she and her husband sat for an interview on his Web-based show, GBTV. "Personally I mean I think Rick's a great guy, and he's really smart and everything. But I think a lot more is happening than what we can actually see."

Mrs. Santorum said she initially was reluctant to have him run for the White House — so much so that when Mr. Santorum approached her and asked her to pray about it, he said her initial reaction was that she wouldn't even pray because "God couldn't possible want you to do this."

But she finally gave the go-ahead to her husband to run for the White House once she saw President Obama win passage of his health-care law, which she said "put the fire in my belly."

She said the campaign has been challenging, and said some would "have to be crazy to want" to be president. But she said she and her husband escape that because for them "it's completely a spiritual thing. This is God's will."

"The 'want' is a mission to make the culture a better culture, more pleasing to God," Mrs. Santorum said. "For us it's all about making the world a better place."

Sitting with three of their children, the Santorums said the campaign has been educational for the children, and said they've thrived on the encouragement of the voters they've met along the way.

Found a response to this article posted on the DU forums:

Oh My Dear Mrs Santorum
God's Will? Pray tell. Was it God's will that you chose yourself to have an emergency abortion while at the same time denying that right to other women? Was it God's will that you personally lived with, screwed and ran around with an abortion doctor for 8 years prior to your marriage to your husband? Was it God's will that you told a young woman that having an abortion "wasn't all that bad"? Was it God's will that your husband cheated the State of Pennsylvania out of tax money? Was it God's will that your husband cheated a Veterans Home out of their money? Neither you nor your homophobic, sanctimonius husband have been vetted and once that happens you will be happy to crawl back under the rock you came out of. I think that will be God's will.

Sola_Fide
02-24-2012, 10:07 AM
The whole issue of "God's will for my life" is not a Biblical understanding of reality in the first place. It drives me insane to see it all the time.

There are two wills: God's prescriptive will and God's decreetive will. God's prescriptive will is what He prescribes for us in His Word...the law. God's decreetive will is what He has purposed in history...predestination.

"God's will" for everyone's life is that they follow His law. That's it. It applies to all men everywhere.

What God has purposed and predestined from eternity (His ultimate story line), that is what his secret or decreetive will is.

Example: It is against the law to murder innocent people. Yet Judas betrayed Jesus and gave Him over to the chief priests:

Matthew 27:1-5 NIV

Early in the morning, all the chief priests and the elders of the people made their plans how to have Jesus executed. So they bound him, led him away and handed him over to Pilate the governor. When Judas, who had betrayed him, saw that Jesus was condemned, he was seized with remorse and returned the thirty pieces of silver to the chief priests and the elders. "I have sinned," he said, "for I have betrayed innocent blood."

"What is that to us?" they replied. "That's your responsibility." So Judas threw the money into the temple and left. Then he went away and hanged himself.

That was God's prescriptive will: that people not murder innocent people, which Judas and others broke when they played their part in murdering Jesus.

But God's decreetive will was being done all along because God purposed from eternity that Jesus would be a sacrifice for the sins of His elect people:

Acts 4:27-28 NASB

For truly in this city there were gathered together against Your holy servant Jesus, whom You anointed, both Herod and Pontius Pilate, along with the Gentiles and the peoples of Israel, to do whatever Your hand and Your purpose predestined to occur.

"God's will" for whatever station you are at in life, is to follow Him in all that you do. Obey Him.

This idea that "God's will for me is to run for president" or "God's will for me is to go to the supermarket today" is no where in the Bible. We don't live in a time where God gives us direct revelation to do certain things. As the first chapter of Hebrews says, we live in the days where God has spoken to us through His son, and we should follow what His son has says in His Word. That is where God speaks to us today.

BeauGeste
02-24-2012, 10:14 AM
very well put aqua

kathy88
02-24-2012, 10:15 AM
Agree with you completely Aqua. Karen comes off especially stupid in this article, I think.

Stupified
02-24-2012, 12:27 PM
Just like Herman Cain's decision to run for the nomination was due to a calling from God - it's all pandering BS.

Voluntary Man
02-24-2012, 12:32 PM
It's spelled g-o-P, Karen!

I think Satonrum's wife is dyslexic.

Sola_Fide
02-24-2012, 12:37 PM
"The 'want' is a mission to make the culture a better culture, more pleasing to God," Mrs. Santorum said. "For us it's all about making the world a better place."

So what does being the president have to do with your cultural mission? That is just culture-warrior, statist crap.

The only way a President can make the culture more pleasing to God today is to veto every spending bill that comes to his desk.

COpatriot
02-24-2012, 12:41 PM
If anything, Santorum's rise gives support to the side that says there is no god.

RonRules
02-24-2012, 12:47 PM
I wonder if she's going to blame God when Santorum's inevitable decline goes full precipice!

alucard13mmfmj
02-24-2012, 01:01 PM
If there was a God... I think he/she would help us out a little by giving Ron a break and let him get into office. I think the world deserves a time of peace, even if its temporary.

Santorum is send by God? Is Santorum then the next messiah and will implement a much bigger religious crusade and kill all heathens?

Voluntary Man
02-24-2012, 01:01 PM
If anything, Santorum's rise gives support to the side that says there is no god.

Satonrum did warn us that his father (the prince of darkness) was exerting his influence on America.

francisco
02-24-2012, 01:17 PM
She said the campaign has been challenging, and said some would "have to be crazy to want" to be president.

Well, on that basis, I guess he qualifies.

Voluntary Man
02-24-2012, 01:35 PM
[Karen Satonrum] said....would "have to be crazy to want" to be president.

Well, after all, she knows her own husband better than we do.

Sola_Fide
02-24-2012, 01:37 PM
Satonrum did warn us that his father (the prince of darkness) was exerting his influence on America.

Alright...I did get a belly laugh out of that.

bunklocoempire
02-24-2012, 01:57 PM
It's spelled g-o-P, Karen!

I think Satonrum's wife is dyslexic.

Lol! Why of course! Let's get this woman some help.

Dianne
02-24-2012, 02:17 PM
Ouch, just noticed typo in the title... should be surge, rather than "sure" .. Can someone fix ?

Dianne
02-24-2012, 02:19 PM
Alright...I did get a belly laugh out of that.

LOL ... Chicken Hawk Santorum also forgot to read the portion of the Bible where it says, "Thou shall not kill" yet he is ready to wipe Iran off the map including innocent women and children.

hells_unicorn
02-24-2012, 02:44 PM

lol I think Bishop Javier Echevarría has a bit more work to do if he wants to exert his influence on the entire country.

Sola_Fide
02-25-2012, 07:53 AM
This one of my favorite writers critiquing the "Its God's will that I do this" argument:

The prophet Isaiah reminds us that “ ‘My thoughts are not your thoughts, nor are your ways My ways,’ says the Lord. ‘For as the Heavens are higher than the Earth, so are My ways higher than your ways, and My thoughts than your thoughts’ “ (Isaiah 55).

Arrogant men, who sometimes seem very pious, frequently claim, as Mahan did, to know the will of God for their lives and for the nation. But God has not revealed this information to anyone: “The secret things belong to the Lord our God, but those things which are revealed belong to us and to our children forever, that we may do all the words of this law” (Deuteronomy 29).

What God has revealed is his law, so that we may obey it. It is found wholly in the Bible. Those who claim otherwise err.

The notion that circumstances can be read to discern God’s purposes is a major part of many religions, especially those that view the Bible as furnishing less than sufficient guidance, or which claim to offer their adherents the stamp of divine approval for their actions.

This tealeaf reading form of guidance is dangerous and arrogant enough at the personal level; to elevate it to the high councils of government has always meant and will always mean disaster.

Events are mute; they offer no guidance. Circumstances can be interpreted in an indefinite number of ways. Logically, circumstances alone can never be used to justify a course of action. Guidance, ethics, must come from another source.

http://www.trinityfoundation.org/journal.php?id=74