PDA

View Full Version : Rick Santorum Santorum Says Protestants 'Gone from the world of Christianity'

tennman
02-23-2012, 06:53 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JMqrcOHJZwc

http://youtu.be/JMqrcOHJZwc

If this is a duplicate, I'm sorry, it's just a video that we all need to put on Facebook, Twitter and send to our Christian friends who are pro-Santorum.

Have you seen it? Can you imagine if Romney or Paul would've said this? The media and evangelicals would be freaking.

Blue
02-23-2012, 07:02 PM
I think this could really hurt Santorum.

CJLauderdale4
02-23-2012, 07:03 PM
He is completely wrong.
Catholics had NO PART in the forming of the nation.
IN FACT, Catholics were initially NOT ALLOWED to hold an office in most States because they took and oath to the Pope, and the original Protestants in America were still living per the original Westminster Confession of Faith, which cited that the Pope was the anti-christ. Of course, ALL Protestant faiths that still use the Westminster Confession do not believe in this.

As a Protestant, I understand that Santorum is trying to say that the Protestant Christian Worldview is gone from the nation, and hard to find in today's society. But as usual, he cannot communicate anything correctly, and ends up alienating the evangelicals.

tennman
02-23-2012, 07:07 PM
As a Protestant, I understand that Santorum is trying to say that the Protestant Christian Worldview is gone from the nation, and hard to find in today's society. But as usual, he cannot communicate anything correctly, and ends up alienating the evangelicals.

Really? I didn't think that's what he meant. But I wasn't sure. Either way, I hope it bites him in the BUTT! And I also read that Romney is putting $55 Million into fighting Santorum. Thank you Romney! Hehe...

Danan
02-23-2012, 07:10 PM
He is completely wrong.
IN FACT, Catholics were initially NOT ALLOWED to hold an office in most States because they took and oath to the Pope, and the original Protestants in America were still living per the original Westminster Confession of Faith, which cited that the Pope was the anti-christ. Of course, ALL Protestant faiths that still use the Westminster Confession do not believe in this.

"Of the 55 delegates to the 1787 Constitutional Convention, 49 were Protestants, and three were Roman Catholics (C. Carroll, D. Carroll, and Fitzsimons)."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Founding_Fathers_of_the_United_States#Religion

"NO PART" seems to be slightly exaggerating. And I seriously hate it to be on Santorums side of an argument. ;P

KEEF
02-23-2012, 08:20 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=JMqrcOHJZwc

DRUDGE, DRUDGE, TWEET, DRUDGE!!! GET THIS VIRAL!!

hells_unicorn
02-23-2012, 08:39 PM
According to the Jesuits who spawned the Opus Dei semi-masonic order that Rick Santorum has associations with, Protestantism has never been a part of the world of Christianity, and amongst themselves, this view has not changed in the Vatican despite all of the window-dressing styled accommodation speeches given by the former Grand Inquisitor Josef Ratzinger, let alone the General of the Jesuit Order and the Prelate in charge of the Opus Dei whom most likely have a more direct influence on particular parish Santorum belongs to.

BuddyRey
02-23-2012, 08:42 PM
Good find!

king_nothing_
02-23-2012, 08:46 PM
lol, wow. That should be spread everywhere, especially in the Bible Belt states.

PierzStyx
02-23-2012, 08:48 PM
Why should this surprise Protestants? If the Catholic Church is truly God's church, and its clear Santorum believes it is, then all Protestants are by definition heretics and apostates having abandoned God's church to build up false churches. And heretics can't be Christians even if they use Christian language. It should be obvious that Catholicism assumes Protestants aren't Christians. Of course to be fair Protestants say the same about Catholics. After all they speak of "Christians (themselves) and Catholics" as two different things. So people in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.

jmdrake
02-23-2012, 11:07 PM
Why should this surprise Protestants? If the Catholic Church is truly God's church, and its clear Santorum believes it is, then all Protestants are by definition heretics and apostates having abandoned God's church to build up false churches. And heretics can't be Christians even if they use Christian language. It should be obvious that Catholicism assumes Protestants aren't Christians. Of course to be fair Protestants say the same about Catholics. After all they speak of "Christians (themselves) and Catholics" as two different things. So people in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.

Yeah. But then Santorum turns around and asks Protestants to vote for him as a "fellow Christian".

Voluntary Man
02-23-2012, 11:32 PM

True, but Santorum hasn't quite been advertising his Catholicism, now, has he? In fact, he's been doing his best to conceal it.

The way he's been packaging himself to evangelicals, you'd think he was Billy Graham...or Mike Huckabee circa 2008.

I wouldn't be surprised if 75% of Santorum's evangelical supporters thought he was a Baptist. He's truly shameless.

Having watched the clip, though, it's nothing I haven't said myself -- from a different perspective, of course. Clearly, he's talking to a Catholic audience, and the comment is meant to denigrate Protestantism, and to compare Catholicism favorably to it; this may be what bites him in the ass. Although, from a perspective of social conservatism (e.g., positions on divorce, abortion, and homosexuality), the Catholic church IS far more conservative than mainline Episcopal, Lutheran, Methodist, and Presbyterian denominations; gotta give him that.

Beorn
02-23-2012, 11:34 PM
We've been having an ongoing conversation about this here:

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?362293-DRUDGE-quot-Santorum-s-Satan-Warning-quot-(attacks-mainline-Protestantism)

Aratus
02-23-2012, 11:39 PM
i keep on saying mike huckabee is going to have to sheepdip his straying HucksArmy flock in 2016!!!

i had a feeling that rick santorum's take on the universe is uniquely his own but that he has a habit

of telling people what he thinks they want to hear. this contest has had its very memorable moments.

Moo2400
02-24-2012, 12:45 AM
This is great. I'm gonna use this to convert all my Protestant friends who have a big hard on for Rick Santorum to Ron Paul.

Remember: Romney is Mormon, Santorum and Gingrich are Catholics, Ron Paul is the ONLY Protestant in the republican race. Protestants make up the largest group of evangelicals in this country and are a big republican voting bloc, this will matter to them.

Agorism
02-24-2012, 01:00 AM
http://www.cartoonmovement.com/depot/cartoons/2012/01/DJvWyqbKTdyglij-MKiTjA.jpeg

Beorn
02-24-2012, 01:00 AM
He's attacking mainline Protestants. In many conservative evangelical culture warrior minds mainline=liberal because all of those denominations are either ordaining and marrying gays or currently have an internal conflict over the issue. Also, mainline churches have a historical attachment the social gospel which many conservative Christians see as a distortion of the true gospel.

Bottom line is that you can spin it if you want, but if your audience figures out what Santorum is referring to then they are unlikely to be offended and inclined to agree.

jmdrake
02-24-2012, 01:12 PM
He's attacking mainline Protestants. In many conservative evangelical culture warrior minds mainline=liberal because all of those denominations are either ordaining and marrying gays or currently have an internal conflict over the issue. Also, mainline churches have a historical attachment the social gospel which many conservative Christians see as a distortion of the true gospel.

Bottom line is that you can spin it if you want, but if your audience figures out what Santorum is referring to then they are unlikely to be offended and inclined to agree.

If the audience are conservative members of the United Methodist and American Baptist denominations or if his audience is sensitive enough to the Catholic/Protestant divide to realize Santorum's hypocrisy on this issue they will likely be offended.

tennman
02-24-2012, 06:16 PM
Please Digg this at http://digg.com/news/politics/santorum_said_protestants_are_gone_from_the_world_ of_christianity

Every little bit to chink his armor.

Sola_Fide
02-24-2012, 06:29 PM
He is completely wrong.

Yes, you are right. Right or wrong, those early religious tests were meant to keep Roman Catholics from holding office. The puritans had, just a generation before, been the direct recipients of merciless persecution by the Roman state-church. This American experiment in liberty can't be understood without a knowledge of the war between the worldviews of Calvinism and Romanism.

http://kevincraig.us/protestant.htm

otherone
02-24-2012, 06:40 PM
He is completely wrong.

You probably should have googled "Maryland" before making such a silly comment.

Southron
02-24-2012, 06:40 PM
What in the world is a Protestant Judeo-Christian ethic?

Danan
02-24-2012, 07:01 PM
What in the world is a Protestant Judeo-Christian ethic?

If it's the base of Santorums morality: probably killing Moslems and intimidate gay people.

opinionatedfool
02-24-2012, 08:10 PM
I put in on my facebook. Spread this around.

BlackTerrel
02-24-2012, 09:22 PM
He said "mainline Protestantism". That is a difference. For instance the Church I was raised in is not considered "mainline" even though it is Protestant.

These guys are a minority of Protestants:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mainline_Protestant

LibertyEagle
02-24-2012, 09:40 PM
Personally, I'd rather get him for his implication in his ads that he was in the military, when he clearly was not. <--- This is the kind of thing that will royally piss off older conservatives.

hells_unicorn
02-25-2012, 12:16 AM
He is completely wrong.

This is not 100% accurate, though it is closer to the truth than anything Santorum has uttered. The so-called states/colonies not allowing RC office holders excludes both Pennsylvania and Maryland, the former of which produced 2 signers of the U.S. Constitution in Thomas Fitzsimmons (who also represented Pennsylvania in the Continental Congress) and Daniel Carroll, whose cousin Charles Carroll of Carrollton was a signer of the Declaration of Independence, and also invested the most capital of any of the founders into the Revolutionary War. Charles Carroll was also a major supporter of George Washington's presidency.

Bear in mind, the Carroll family and Fitzsimmons were of Irish extract and at that time the country still had a strongly Augustinian tendency to it so they were closer theologically to Calvin and Knox than most of the ones that came over during the potato famine when the country had been pretty well overrun by Jesuit theologians. Furthermore, unlike Santorum and most other Southern and Eastern European Romanists, the Irish that were here during the colonial period had a much stronger cultural affinity with the Protestant majority that was primarily English and Scots-Irish, so I don't fully see your statements as out of line, though your history on the whole was wanting on the subject of Catholics not have a say in the founding of this country, though their say was very limited next to the roles of the likes of the Adams family and Patrick Henry.

Believe me when I say this, as an Old Catholic who would be branded a heretic because of my strongly Augustinian/Jansenist theology and enjoy religious liberty primarily because of Calvinist and Lutheran resistors of Rome's authoritarian heresy, I have no problem with anyone admonishing Santorum for his idiotic rantings, especially given that the modern brand of Catholicism that he represents in the Opus Dei is tailored specifically for the purpose of destroying Protestantism and encouraging subservience to arbitrary papal power.

Sola_Fide
02-26-2012, 07:36 PM
This is not 100% accurate, though it is closer to the truth than anything Santorum has uttered. The so-called states/colonies not allowing RC office holders excludes both Pennsylvania and Maryland, the former of which produced 2 signers of the U.S. Constitution in Thomas Fitzsimmons (who also represented Pennsylvania in the Continental Congress) and Daniel Carroll, whose cousin Charles Carroll of Carrollton was a signer of the Declaration of Independence, and also invested the most capital of any of the founders into the Revolutionary War. Charles Carroll was also a major supporter of George Washington's presidency.

Bear in mind, the Carroll family and Fitzsimmons were of Irish extract and at that time the country still had a strongly Augustinian tendency to it so they were closer theologically to Calvin and Knox than most of the ones that came over during the potato famine when the country had been pretty well overrun by Jesuit theologians. Furthermore, unlike Santorum and most other Southern and Eastern European Romanists, the Irish that were here during the colonial period had a much stronger cultural affinity with the Protestant majority that was primarily English and Scots-Irish, so I don't fully see your statements as out of line, though your history on the whole was wanting on the subject of Catholics not have a say in the founding of this country, though their say was very limited next to the roles of the likes of the Adams family and Patrick Henry.

Believe me when I say this, as an Old Catholic who would be branded a heretic because of my strongly Augustinian/Jansenist theology and enjoy religious liberty primarily because of Calvinist and Lutheran resistors of Rome's authoritarian heresy, I have no problem with anyone admonishing Santorum for his idiotic rantings, especially given that the modern brand of Catholicism that he represents in the Opus Dei is tailored specifically for the purpose of destroying Protestantism and encouraging subservience to arbitrary papal power.

Good post.

SpiritOf1776_J4
02-26-2012, 09:29 PM

Looks well said, but my research had led me to believe that Charles Carrol was the only catholic that signed the Declaration of Independence. This should be compared to Samuel Adams speech made before the signing of the Declaration, which was about popery and the divine rights of kings, and how we were ending it. Obviously, none of the signers had any problems with this, they were for it. Contrawise, 7-8 of the signers were at the time or had been professional ministers, and many more had training to be such or were raised in clergy family.

There is more to religion and history and our founding then meets the eye. Remember, the whole royal / serf system of europe was primary based as a religious system.

freeforall
02-26-2012, 09:36 PM
And I also read that Romney is putting $55 Million into fighting Santorum. Thank you Romney! Hehe...

OH!!! I just realized why the campaign is waiting to take out Romney last! /light bulb