PDA

View Full Version : Rick Santorum Santorum’s Remarks on Contraceptive and Social Morality

dean.engelhardt
02-23-2012, 12:28 PM
I listened to Santorum’s remarks on birth control and social morality in the Arizona debates last night. He gave the most disjointed confused representation of the position that I could imagine. I understand, some religions look at contraception as sinful; but then to try to blame immorality of society on birth control pills??? He proceeded to give fantastic pro-contraception arguments; 1) Single parent families are 5 times more likely to be in poverty; 2) Burden of unwanted pregnancy; 3) Burden of being an unwanted child.

Sans Rick Perry, this is the most embarrassing performance in a presidential debate I’ve ever seen.

dean.engelhardt
02-23-2012, 12:39 PM
Found the video, but they cut off where RP makes his remarks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gvHYNGipHnQ&feature=player_embedded

"We can have limited government, lower tax -- we hear this all the time, cut spending, limit the government, everything will be fine. No, everything's not going to be fine."

What does this mean? Is Santorum saying we need big government and high taxes to regulate social morality?

CaptUSA
02-23-2012, 12:43 PM
I actually thought that moment was particularly profound. Even Santorum had to concede that Paul made the better case in this instance. Demonstrated through his acknowledging brow-raise and nod.