PDA

View Full Version : Something for us over regulated truckers

hrdman2luv
02-23-2012, 10:12 AM
In America, we have over 8 million CDL (Commercial Drivers license). Many of us are small businesses. Whether it be 1 or 20 trucks.
We are taxed for all the miles reported from our odometer. We pay fuel taxes at the pump. We even pay taxes on the toll roads we drive plus the toll for driving on that toll road.
We are subject to DOT audits, that much like the IRS, go through our log books, bill of ladens, toll reciepts and almost everything else.
Cops have the authority to pull us over for no reason. They have the authority to search our trucks without our concent.
We can be fined for things that are wrong with our trucks or trailers, reguardless of the circumstances. For example: While driving down the road, all of a sudden a light goes out on the back of the trailer. And before we know it's out, a cop is pulling us over and writing a ticket for "faulty equiptment".
We not only have a drivers license point system, same as all drivers, but we now have CSA points to deal with. Those points are almost impossible to get off. Even if the cop just gives us a warning, the CSA points are still attached to our CSA score.

We now have the TSA infiltrating our industry. In Tennessee, they are in the DOT scales houses.

And log books....... That's one of my biggest gripes.
We have to log every day of our lives. Where we are, for how long, and why we're there. We are mandated to stop for 10 hours, even if we're not tired, sleepy and very capapble of operating our trucks 100% safely. If we go over the 11 drive time rule, we can be shut down for 34 hours. If we're detained by a shipper or reciever so long that our HOS (Hours of Service) runs out, then we are in violation. Even if we'd been sleeping the whole time we were getting loaded or unloaded.

My point to all of this, is that we need some sort of representation to stop most of these laws and regulations. And Ron Paul, even after numerous attempts, has not even mentioned any of these things that plague our industry.

I understand that some drivers don't vote. Some are RINO's and some liberals and believe that only the government can keep the roads safe and wouldn't vote for Dr. Paul. But, even if just 1/3rd of all truckers, brokers, dispatchers and other people in the industry voted for Ron Paul, there'd be well over 5 million votes in his favor.

BTW, I'm not asking the government to fix anything. Just to stop messing everything up for us.

BuddyRey
02-23-2012, 10:25 AM
My dad and I worked as regional truckers for four years. The road got in my blood big-time, and I don't think I'll ever stop missing it. But the regs were absolutely stifling. Worst of all, our dispatcher was a miserly slack-ass who would routinely send us out overloaded without even having the courtesy to tell us first. We'd deal with the weigh stations and the stress, while he sat in his cushy office.

One time, we overlooked an especially short and abrupt weigh station offramp about a mile south of the Delaware state line (Delmar, MD I think the town was called), and the DOT agents held our truck hostage for 12 hours. There were no motels within walking distance, so of course, that meant we were hostages too. Our truck didn't even have a sleeper cab...I slept curled up and contorted on the damn floorboard. That's the life of a trucker. You never know when the axe is going to come down on you. And it sounds like it's only gotten worse since we left a couple years ago.

What should be one of the most carefree, liberating, and enjoyable jobs to have has turned into surveillance grid nightmare. It makes me sad just thinking about it.

Travlyr
02-23-2012, 10:37 AM
Truck drivers are total subjects as a captive audience for the elite radio shills. As an ex-driver I used to listen to Rush, Hannity, Levin, Medved, and other big government regulation statists all day long pretend to be for less government and regulations. I believed their crap. A President Ron Paul would fix almost all that control over people's livelihood that you posted in OP, but the lame-stream radio shills are promoting freedom in name only. They will not promote Ron Paul and his ideas.

ILUVRP
02-23-2012, 04:15 PM
there are 3 classes of american workers that i think are great----otr truckers ----farmers ---military

slacker921
02-23-2012, 11:46 PM
The goal of all of those regulations is stated to be "safety"... who can be against safety? The checks aren't just to the equipment, they're for "homeland security" since those trucks can carry a lot of STUFF. The media has, and will continue to, hammered those points home for years.

But the real goal of the regulations is to do what you have all stated: they make life miserable for the small independent trucker.
They will slowly put the smaller companies out of business or they will combine into larger companies for efficiency. In the end, just as with the media (http://www.freepress.net/ownership/chart/main) and banking (http://motherjones.com/politics/2010/01/bank-merger-history), there will be only a small number of companies that handle the vast majority of transport business in the US. It's much easier for the government to control a small number of companies than a lot of smaller ones, and the politicians know that it's far more lucrative to have large companies lobbying them.

imho Paul already takes on enough issues that are hard for the average voter to comprehend and require them to go against what they've been taught for years . Asking them to understand the reasoning behind relaxing regulations on small trucking companies would mean Paul would have to fight yet another uphill battle against the media, big corporations, the establishment politicians, etc. You can rest assured that he's on your side on this issue and would work to reverse it, but you probably won't hear about it on the campaign trail.

hrdman2luv
04-22-2012, 12:29 PM
But as I stated, we have over 8 million CSL holders in the USA. That's a huge voting block of Americans that he's overlooking. I think it would be smart to at least address us. No one has ever done this. And our industry is one of the most regulated and taxed industries in the world.

KCIndy
04-22-2012, 01:07 PM
But as I stated, we have over 8 million CSL holders in the USA. That's a huge voting block of Americans that he's overlooking. I think it would be smart to at least address us. No one has ever done this. And our industry is one of the most regulated and taxed industries in the world.

I've been driving OTR (Over the Road) for fifteen years. Truckers are hobbled by the same problem that seems to plague libertarians: we are very strong willed, opinionated people who love freedom and independence and chafe under authority.

Unfortunately for both groups, these traits are exactly the reason we have such a hard time getting organized.

For instance, in the trucking world there is really only one organization - OOIDA (Owner Operator Independent Driver Association) big enough to have any clout at all, and they have, what? Only about 150,000 members out of 8 million CDL holders? You're right that there shouldn't be any reason for less than 8 million CDL holders to be screaming at the top of their lungs for repeal of some of these stupid commercial driving laws. But trying to get that many strong willed people to pull together, even when it's for their own good, is like trying to herd cats. :(

VIDEODROME
04-22-2012, 01:20 PM
I drove truck on and off for 3 years. The industry seems like a mess for a variety of reasons. Tired of the weight stations and the tolls, but also the absurd lack of parking.

At one point I tried one of those Expedite Van jobs. Yes I had to sleep in a van(bunk behind the seats) but in many ways it was liberating as a driver. No more weigh stations and park almost anywhere. Or park in front of the truck stop by the cars.

VIDEODROME
04-22-2012, 01:20 PM
I drove truck on and off for 3 years. The industry seems like a mess for a variety of reasons. Tired of the weight stations and the tolls, but also the absurd lack of parking.

At one point I tried one of those Expedite Van jobs. Yes I had to sleep in a van(bunk behind the seats) but in many ways it was liberating as a driver. No more weigh stations and park almost anywhere. Or park in front of the truck stop by the cars.

KCIndy
04-22-2012, 01:22 PM
As an addendum, let me add that I don't think being independent minded and strong willed is a bad thing. I believe it's a good trait indeed, and I dearly wish many more people in this world would think for themselves, question authority, and push for a better and simpler way of doing things.

I'm just saying that in a strange and perverse way, we who promote liberty and freedom are actually handicapped when it comes to organizing due to our own personality traits.

Statists, even right-wingers like Hannity, Limbaugh and company, seem to have no problem organizing because they tend to revere a hierarchical structure of authority. (Perhaps this is why they have such hero worship for cops, even when the cop in question is clearly wrong? Is it the worship of authority?)

Left-wingers organize quickly and easily for almost the opposite reason; it seems to me that they feel a duty to work for the common good and present a unified front for a common cause.

Libertarians/anarchists/voluntaryists.... (and a LOT of truck drivers fit one of these descriptions) seem prone to deep thinking about the issues and hold firm opinions as to what to do about any given situation. We (I'm counting myself as a trucker and libertarian both) cherish freedom and respect independent actions and decisions, and have a deep aversion to using force to compel compliance.

And that's as it should be.

But it can make it damn hard to get everyone pulling in the same direction - or even on the same rope! :rolleyes::o:rolleyes:

VIDEODROME
04-22-2012, 01:36 PM
It depends. I mean there is OOIDA but truckers even seem divided on them. I'm not sure why. Maybe there is an imperfection but they seem better then nothing.

Southron
04-22-2012, 01:42 PM
Truck drivers are total subjects as a captive audience for the elite radio shills. As an ex-driver I used to listen to Rush, Hannity, Levin, Medved, and other big government regulation statists all day long pretend to be for less government and regulations. I believed their crap. A President Ron Paul would fix almost all that control over people's livelihood that you posted in OP, but the lame-stream radio shills are promoting freedom in name only. They will not promote Ron Paul and his ideas.

For those with Sirius or XM, Mike Church now offers an alternative. In fact, I was introduced to him with the free time I had driving a truck.

VIDEODROME
04-22-2012, 01:51 PM
For a while one of my favorite radio shows was Brian and the Judge (Napolitano) from before he even started the Freedom Watch show.

It was really interesting pairing up a kind of NeoCon across a strict Constitutionalist.

phill4paul
04-22-2012, 01:58 PM
The government wants to break the backbone of independent Americans for the profit of mega-corporations. As simple as it gets.

Best find a new line of employment because it ain't gonna get any better.

http://www.usatoday.com/money/economy/2011-08-10-mexican-trucks-us-highways_n.htm

The ambitious but controversial North American Free Trade Agreement between the United States, Canada and Mexico from the 1990s is back, this time as the backdrop to a contentious new cross-border deal allowing Mexican freight trucks onto U.S. highways.

Good riddance the corporations say. We've got a bottom line. You are too expensive to it. There is cheaper labour to the south and they are gonna take over the industry just like they have with the construction trades.

From what I gather there are about 350,000 independent truck drivers in the U.S. 350,000 trucks could clog 7,000 miles of roadway. There are 1,500 miles of roadway in Washington, D.C. If you want change then DEMAND it. They ain't gonna give you nothing for free.

hrdman2luv
04-22-2012, 02:45 PM
I've been driving OTR (Over the Road) for fifteen years. Truckers are hobbled by the same problem that seems to plague libertarians: we are very strong willed, opinionated people who love freedom and independence and chafe under authority.

Unfortunately for both groups, these traits are exactly the reason we have such a hard time getting organized.

For instance, in the trucking world there is really only one organization - OOIDA (Owner Operator Independent Driver Association) big enough to have any clout at all, and they have, what? Only about 150,000 members out of 8 million CDL holders? You're right that there shouldn't be any reason for less than 8 million CDL holders to be screaming at the top of their lungs for repeal of some of these stupid commercial driving laws. But trying to get that many strong willed people to pull together, even when it's for their own good, is like trying to herd cats. :(

I was talking to another driver on the CB the other day, when he said "You can't get two truck driver to agree on anything"... And jokingly I replied "I disagree"....... We had a good laugh of it.

phill4paul
04-22-2012, 02:48 PM
I was talking to another driver on the CB the other day, when he said "You can't get two truck driver to agree on anything"... And jokingly I replied "I disagree"....... We had a good laugh of it.

And there you have it. It is the problem with Americans in general. Every one has a 'special' interest. And no interest in anything else.

jemuf
04-24-2012, 09:03 PM
I used to drive on I-80 in Wyoming a lot. I'd drive 80 to 85 in the left lane. Every single time I came up on 2 semi-trucks in the right lane the trailing semi would suddenly have to pass the one in front. It seems to take 2 minutes plus for a semi to pass.

About 18 months ago I was driving across a fairly flat desert, and I could see for miles. I don't know how far, maybe 10 miles away, I could see a black semi following a white semi. It took me about 10 minutes to catch the two. When I did the black semi suddenly had to pass the white one...slowing me down in the process.

So you know what I did after the black semi passed and got back in the right lane? I passed him, slowed down, and drove the speed limit. He tried to pass me several times, but I wouldn't let him for about 20 miles.

I know some of you out there will jump on your high horse and say "Well why didn't you just do blah, blah, blah, blah, blah?" Because I didn't want to do blah, blah, blah, blah, blah. I wanted to be an A-hole like the driver of the black semi was.

sailingaway
04-26-2012, 12:14 PM
http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT4wd8rrzB33Y8W99JS3aLb99WsvlKqJ whQSi1mNtWpcj0LyaB74xLkgvPu

hrdman2luv
04-30-2012, 12:52 PM
The fact of the matter remains. We are about 8 million strong. And Ron Paul needs to take notice and address at least some of things that are just completely wrong within our industry that is created by the federal government. FMCSA & DOT reg's are killing this industry.

McCain lost to Obama by about 8 million votes.

Just sayin.