PDA

View Full Version : Just sold my soul....

otherone
02-22-2012, 01:49 PM
...and got the card to prove it.
I just received my new voter registration card in the mail today...it says I'm a cough...hack...'republican'. It felt awful doing the deed, but not so bad now. My Lib friends who are Paul sympathetic won't make the switch for primary purposes.... have any of you switched allegiances?

ryanmkeisling
02-22-2012, 01:54 PM
I did years ago, for Ron Paul and nothing else. I know plenty of people that despise the GOP so much, even though they like Ron Paul, that will not change to vote for him in the primary. I hate the GOP and its base too, but I also feel the same about the democratic party, I am in it for DR. Paul. NOBP.

CaptUSA
02-22-2012, 01:54 PM
I got my card a couple of months ago. I understand your feelings entirely.

However, I don't see it as "selling my soul", rather I see it as saving my soul. If I can help change the GOP into the Ron Paul Republican party, then I can sleep at night. The only way to do this is from the inside.

Pauls' Revere
02-22-2012, 02:05 PM
I just received my new voter registration card in the mail today...it says I'm a cough...hack...'republican'. It felt awful doing the deed, but not so bad now. My Lib friends who are Paul sympathetic won't make the switch for primary purposes.... have any of you switched allegiances?

Got mine in 07/08 I suspect the GOP registered membership numbers will drop if Ron does not get the nod.

otherone
02-22-2012, 02:14 PM
Got mine in 07/08 I suspect the GOP registered membership numbers will drop if Ron does not get the nod.

This is going to be my challenge. Dr. Paul's solution is to transform the party from within. I'm considering getting involved locally.

puppetmaster
02-22-2012, 02:23 PM

my allegiance is with the message, not the party or person.

Seraphim
02-22-2012, 02:27 PM
this.

I got my card a couple of months ago. I understand your feelings entirely.

However, I don't see it as "selling my soul", rather I see it as saving my soul. If I can help change the GOP into the Ron Paul Republican party, then I can sleep at night. The only way to do this is from the inside.

Jingles
02-22-2012, 02:29 PM
I assumed Ron Paul would run again in 2012 so I registered Republican simply for that purpose when I turned 18 (couldn't vote in 2008 for I was a few months shy of 18 at the time).

seraphson
02-22-2012, 02:32 PM
Why the feeling of dismay? It's a two headed one party system. Minus Paul both parties for the most recent times secretly serve the same greater purpose. More government more control.

Roxi
02-22-2012, 02:34 PM
In Missouri we don't have to pledge to any one party. I sucked it up and registered to vote though.

heavenlyboy34
02-22-2012, 02:37 PM
Yep. Switching to I after the election...though I wish I could unregister completely.

otherone
02-22-2012, 02:41 PM
Why the feeling of dismay? It's a two headed one party system. Minus Paul both parties for the most recent times secretly serve the same greater purpose. More government more control.

I was an Independent. I've voted all over the political spectrum in the past. My first actual vote was for Frank Rizzo when he ran for mayor of Philly as an independent. If someone would have told me in 02 (after the Patriot Act) that in 12 I'd be a registered Republican, I would have said they were SHROOMING.

Matthew5
02-22-2012, 02:41 PM
Sometimes you just gotta get your hands dirty. :p I know the feeling though.

kill the banks
02-22-2012, 02:43 PM
I thought you just became a lawyer

narrowphoenix
02-22-2012, 02:48 PM
Democrat = Republican, tell your friends that. There's NO difference, only different talking points but they ALL do that same! Tell your friends to get their heads out of their asses and register so we can get Ron Paul in the Oval Office!!!!!!!! That's all that matters, not their pitiful pride! (not trying to be mean but seriously, tell your friends to wake up!)

RiseAgainst
02-22-2012, 03:48 PM
Just look at it this way, you're supporting Paul today, and if we all fail and the fascists succeed, you can say "look, I've been a registered party loyalist since '12!"

;)

AFPVet
02-22-2012, 03:52 PM
Don't worry about it... Dr. Paul pretty much OWNS the GOP now :)

heavenlyboy34
02-22-2012, 04:00 PM
Democrat = Republican, tell your friends that. There's NO difference, only different talking points but they ALL do that same! Tell your friends to get their heads out of their asses and register so we can get Ron Paul in the Oval Office!!!!!!!! That's all that matters, not their pitiful pride! (not trying to be mean but seriously, tell your friends to wake up!)
This ^^

heavenlyboy34
02-22-2012, 04:00 PM
Don't worry about it... Dr. Paul pretty much OWNS the GOP now :)
srsly? Cool. :cool:

Tonewah
02-22-2012, 05:53 PM
My Lib friends who are Paul sympathetic won't make the switch for primary purposes...

That's being just a small-minded as the other parties they complain about. I've been a card-carrying libertarian and I'd drop the affiliation in a heartbeat if I had to to vote for a libertarian that I thought had a better chance.

Of the spirit of party loyalty, George Washington said it takes "vigilance to prevent its bursting into a flame, lest, instead of warming, it should consume"

asurfaholic
02-22-2012, 05:57 PM
cool thing is, you can get your soul back after you vote in the primary... for free...

Invi
02-22-2012, 06:07 PM
I wasn't registered previously at all, but I registered and registered Republican so I can vote for Paul.
I would have much rather stayed unaffiliated, but it's worth it, even if it did make me feel icky. :c