PDA

View Full Version : Zogby Nevada GOP poll: RP at 12% among men, just 2% among women

user
11-13-2007, 03:14 AM
http://www.zogby.com/news/ReadNews.dbm?ID=1388

He's at 7% overall. What is it that seems to make women hesitate to support Ron Paul? From what I've heard, there are a lot more male libertarians than female ones. Is this related to that, since many RP supporters lean libertarian, or is it something else?

Hope
11-13-2007, 03:29 AM
I don't think as many women watch the debates, and here-to-now if you didn't watch the debates it's likely that you wouldn't know who Ron Paul is.

Also, Ron Paul's main demographic is young people, and young women tend the be pro-choice. Economics isn't the issue that seems to directly affect their lives at this point in time for most women, but abortion is. When having a child out of wedlock is the numbero uno factor that statistically can keep you under the poverty line for the rest of your life... Anyway, I think this can be countered when you explain the Constitutional position and that while every person would want their views sponsored by the government, it's actually safer overall if it's not the "all or none" federal policy that can change every time a judge retires.

I don't think his lack of female support is because he's a conservative, since women are about 60/40 split between liberal and conservative, and because Ron Paul has significantly less female supporters than the other Republican candidates. Name recognition is his biggest obstacle, and he will gain more female supporters as his name becomes more well known. Luckily, if we knock on doors and make telephone calls, I believe women are more receptive to hearing about a new candidate than men are, so there's hope there.

user
11-13-2007, 04:36 AM
Economics isn't the issue that seems to directly affect their lives at this point in time for most women, but abortion is.

That's a really good point in general, thanks for bringing it up. I think there may be something more going on, though, since the gender gap is there for supporters of all ages, not just the young supporters. Also, since only "likely Republican caucus–goers" were included, wouldn't most of the women who were polled already be against abortion?

Midnight77
11-13-2007, 04:38 AM
It's abortion and the fact that many women want to support the possibility of a Female President. That is Feminism at it's worse, as you should be voting on where your candidate stands on the issues. Too many are fooled that Hillary is a Neo Con disguised as a Republican.

Hope
11-13-2007, 04:47 AM
That's a really good point in general, thanks for bringing it up. I think there may be something more going on, though, since the gender gap is there for supporters of all ages, not just the young supporters. Also, since only "likely Republican caucus–goers" were included, wouldn't most of the women who were polled already be against abortion?

Are you sure about that? A few days ago someone posted a survey that found something like 18% recognition for female voters under 25 but only 2% for those over 25. I'll try to find it.

That's a good point about the "likely Republican caucus-goers" -- hadn't read that part. I think that it may be that many women who vote conservative are of the religious right, whereas more men are fiscal conservatives. Ron Paul doesn't want to ban gay marriage, ban abortion federally, or make this a "godly nation" as many of the other candidates have said over and over again. That's just my personal analysis, though, I don't know if they've done any studies about the percentage of male to female religious right voters.

Hope
11-13-2007, 04:49 AM
It's abortion and the fact that many women want to support the possibility of a Female President. That is Feminism at it's worse, as you should be voting on where your candidate stands on the issues. Too many are fooled that Hillary is a Neo Con disguised as a Republican.

It's not feminism. Even if this were a poll of women across party lines, you'd find that women are almost pretty evenly split among Democrat and Republican, and that feminism has absolutely no bearing on why Fred Thompson (or any other Republican candidate) would receive more female support than Ron Paul.

The OP pointed out that this is a study that focused on only likely Republican voters. It's not Hillary who is stealing votes here.

freelance
11-13-2007, 05:53 AM
Originally Posted by Hope View Post
Economics isn't the issue that seems to directly affect their lives at this point in time for most women, but abortion is.

What about women who shop? Prices at the grocery are through the roof.

Hope
11-13-2007, 01:55 PM
What about women who shop? Prices at the grocery are through the roof.

They've don't understand inflation. Hell, I was a political science major in college and inflation was never properly explained to me! By and large, people think it's natural that prices are progressively rising -- they've been rising since their grandparents were young, after all. They think it's just the natural way of things, and the fact that people earn more money now balances out the higher prices. (Which of course is not true.) Prices seem to be this lofty thing, and it's only natural for the average woman (or man) to think, "Well, if milk is a dollar higher than it was five years ago, there must a good reason for that...and there's not much we can do to change it."

Primbs
11-13-2007, 02:19 PM
We need a new video geared toward women on youtube.

If we can create a video with a very popular female artist on youtube that supports Ron Paul, we can at least create an impression amongst female voters.

jmdrake
11-13-2007, 02:24 PM

That would make sense if we were talking about the general election, but not when we're talking about a poll among GOP women in the primary. After all I'm assuming that GOP voters were not given the "Hillary" option in the poll. (Bad assumption?) There are women in the GOP that support abortion. I'm sure Guiliani has sucked up their votes. Since every other candidate has taken a pro life position (even if they've taken abortion money like Fred Thompson or are "recent converts" like Mitt Romney) that means that the anti abortion vote is split. On the plus side Ron Paul is beating the Huckster and is just one point behind McCain.

I'd think that Ron Paul's anti war position would play better among women than men, but obviously that's not true.

VoteRonPaul2008
11-13-2007, 02:24 PM
I'm a woman, and I'm not particulary politically savy.. before I discovered Paul.. I spend some time on make-up sites? lol?

Paul's message is strong enough to appeal to female voters.. he just needs more exposure..

JenHarris
11-13-2007, 02:36 PM
Another perspective from my mother:
Ron Paul doesn't have charisma - sadly that matters to a lot of people, however, once someone has seen his funny side and him just chatting like on Jay Leno or the Daily Show, he's much more likable. So we really need Ron to go on more softy shows and show the I'm a guy just like you side of his personality. That might help with women.

Ozwest
11-13-2007, 02:39 PM
More men use the internet than women.

Hope
11-13-2007, 02:43 PM
More men use the internet than women.

A two percent difference is not enough to explain the disparity between male and female RP supporters. 66 percent of women use the Internet, versus 68 percent of men. Source. (http://www.ecommercetimes.com/story/48048.html)

FreedomRings
11-13-2007, 03:24 PM
He's at 7% overall. What is it that seems to make women hesitate to support Ron Paul? From what I've heard, there are a lot more male libertarians than female ones. Is this related to that, since many RP supporters lean libertarian, or is it something else?

I think it's related. From what I've experienced, women as a whole are more likely than men to value security higher than freedom and self-responsibility. That's why less of them are libertarians.

To get a larger part of the female vote, I believe RP needs to credibly point out over and over again how his foreign policy will increase everyone's safety. To do this, he needs a simplistic soundbite to effectively counter ingenious neocon propaganda mantras such as "if we don't fight them over there, they will fight us over here".

Hope
11-13-2007, 03:27 PM
I think it's related. From what I've experienced, women as a whole are more likely than men to value security higher than freedom and self-responsibility.

That's never been my experience. Just ask Rudy, Huckabee, Bill O'Reilly, Sean Hannity, Greenspan, Bush...

FreedomRings
11-13-2007, 04:01 PM
That's never been my experience. Just ask Rudy, Huckabee, Bill O'Reilly, Sean Hannity, Greenspan, Bush...

I was talking about voters....

cindy25
11-13-2007, 09:43 PM
Hillary is not a factor in a Republican primary. and neither is abortion, as all the candidates are pro-choice except for Rudy.

and if RP has a 10% gender gap men to women that means someone is picking up those women voters. does anyone know who it is?

the war issue has to be emphasized more, as does the forced national service issue.

Abyss19562
11-13-2007, 09:45 PM
I'm a male libertarian from Nevada !! Woot !! I'm part of that 12% !!