PDA

View Full Version : Rick Santorum Huffpo: Santorum in '95: 'I Was Basically Pro-Choice All My Life, Until I Ran For Congress

Libertea Party
02-21-2012, 05:47 PM
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/02/21/rick-santorum-abortion_n_1291634.html

Finally someone with some audience has taken Santorum's supposedly untouchable record on abortion to task. They also have him making a statement in 1995 with a few new sources. Used the 1990 Pitt-Tribune Review that dirtdigger dug up and some other stuff posted on RPF. I wonder if they used us for the oppo research.....

Concludes like I and others did on RPF:

That Santorum evolved from someone with pro-choice leanings into a hard-lined pro-lifer is not unique. Many Republicans and even some Democrats have made a similar evolution over the course of their political histories. Included on that list is Mitt Romney, the man Santorum is now competing with for the Republican presidential nomination.

"Santorum is a product of the polarization of our politics," said Pat Ewing, the former campaign manager for Senator Harris Wofford, whom Santorum defeated in the 1994 election. "He has taken advantage of it. He understands it. And he will take a position to benefit himself to get a small group of people to love him adamantly. His personality hasn't evolved, his politics has."

Here are RPF threads that had the sources in the new Huffington Post piece:

Rick Santorum: She told me I'd like Rick that he was pro-choice and a humanist" (http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?352279-quot-She-told-me-I%E2%80%99d-like-Rick-that-he-was-pro-choice-and-a-humanist-quot)

Rick Santorum: Obama Joined Church For Power (www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?361912-Rick-Santorum-In-2008-Obama-Joined-Church-For-Power)

BuddyRey
02-21-2012, 05:53 PM
Busted!

Keith and stuff
02-21-2012, 05:55 PM
huffingtonpost.com/2012/02/21/rick-santorum-abortion_n_1291634.html

But Santorum didn't always have such conviction on social policy. In his first run for office in 1990, his campaign put out an issue statement on abortion that, by today's standards, would put him among the moderates of the GOP. Abortion, he wrote, requires "a sensitivity to the genuine concerns of both sides." While "government must be on the side of human life" he recognized that " it is very difficult to criminalize any activity once a large portion of society comes to see it as a 'right.'"

rambone
02-21-2012, 09:08 PM
Interesting that he would go from indifference to frothing theocrat...