PDA

View Full Version : What happened in Washington County, Maine?

Nathan Hale
02-21-2012, 09:08 AM
So, I saw headlines that Romney added to his vote totals in the Maine recount, but they never mentioned the Washington County caucus results and how they affect the total (or any of the other counties out there that held a late caucus). Does anybody know where we stand with this?

sailingaway
02-21-2012, 09:11 AM
Romney won even with it into account although Ron won the county. The snowstorm delay by the Romney supporter (which may not have played into it, but there it is) moved it from a time when two colleges there would have been in session to a time when they were both on winter break. One imagines it played into it, particularly since it was delayed from when Ron was there personally drumming up participation.

I think there are still a couple trailing caucuses which raised some excitement because one was in a college town, but that is when THAT college is on break. Turns out there was a big furor over whether students should be allowed to vote in Maine to begin with if they are not originally from there, and the head of the party there was against letting students vote (a couple years ago, I guess.) Makes me wonder if all the voting while students are on break is accidental.

It seems an issue with galvanizing new people into politics is that even voting in a primary is a new, not habitual action, and caucuses are more daunting. I'm glad Ron went and spoke directly at two district conventions yesterday in ND where they were electing the first round of people to elect the delegates there.

J. W. Evans
02-21-2012, 09:26 AM
Here's the most recent numbers,

http://www.ourcampaigns.com/RaceDetail.html?RaceID=693308

Depending on what's decided with Clinton, Paul might gain four more votes and Romney two.
Castine is the final caucus. It didn't caucus in 2008, so there's not much to base it on, unfortunately.

hueylong
02-21-2012, 10:23 AM
163 - 80. Paul over Romney in Washington County, ME.