PDA

View Full Version : Currently translating Liberty Defined into French. Need help to publish it

benthilde
02-20-2012, 02:51 PM
Well, as it is said in the title, I am currently working on a translation into French of Liberty Defined. After just a few days working on it, I have already finished about 1/10 of the whole book. This will easily be done in two or months.
I'm wondering if I need to inform or ask permission to anyone for this. I suppose I do need some permission, but I don't know who to ask.
I've sent an email to grassroots@ronpaul.com but no answer so far.

Moreover, I would like to publish it, or share the ebook version. I don't care about making money. I'm doing this for the cause, because I believe in what is written. I'm 20, I live in France, and I've wanted for years to write a book to promote free-markets and personal liberties. Liberty Defined is better than everything I could ever dream to write by myself. So I've decided to translate it.

Anyway, I'd really appreciate some help. Not to translate, there is no problem for this. But for the rest : what to do, what to ask, who to ask it, etc.

Demigod
02-20-2012, 03:07 PM
This is a great idea I will start translating it as well.

Can you send me a PM with the answer you would get from Ron Paul

Demigod
02-20-2012, 03:09 PM
+rep as well :D

bluesc
02-20-2012, 03:10 PM
ronpaul.com isn't the official site. It's run by a few people skimming money from the Ron Paul grassroots.

I'd try contacting his congressional office or the publisher of his book. It's unlikely that you will get permission to publish it.

gerryb
02-20-2012, 03:18 PM
The publisher of the book is the one to contact. The grassroots websites or his official campaign can't talk to you about it, since it isn't their book.

osan
02-20-2012, 03:37 PM
Well, as it is said in the title, I am currently working on a translation into French of Liberty Defined. After just a few days working on it, I have already finished about 1/10 of the whole book. This will easily be done in two or months.
I'm wondering if I need to inform or ask permission to anyone for this. I suppose I do need some permission, but I don't know who to ask.
I've sent an email to grassroots@ronpaul.com but no answer so far.

Moreover, I would like to publish it, or share the ebook version. I don't care about making money. I'm doing this for the cause, because I believe in what is written. I'm 20, I live in France, and I've wanted for years to write a book to promote free-markets and personal liberties. Liberty Defined is better than everything I could ever dream to write by myself. So I've decided to translate it.

Anyway, I'd really appreciate some help. Not to translate, there is no problem for this. But for the rest : what to do, what to ask, who to ask it, etc.

There are all sorts of sites where you might publish it. I will be happy to place it on my blog site is you wish. The more the merrier, I would think.

Demigod
02-20-2012, 03:42 PM
There are all sorts of sites where you might publish it. I will be happy to place it on my blog site is you wish. The more the merrier, I would think.

Yes but French citizens should be reading those sites.

Giving away copies of the translated book I think would be the best way to distributed it in the beginning, but it will cost a lot of money.

benthilde
02-20-2012, 04:15 PM
I'd try contacting his congressional office or the publisher of his book. It's unlikely that you will get permission to publish it.

Why is that ?

GraniteHills
02-20-2012, 04:22 PM
I am in publishing and I guarantee you RP's contract covers provisions for the work appearing in translation, in electronic versions, etc.

You can place an inquiry with the book's publisher but a typical author's contract is more than likely going to have these bases covered already.

benthilde
02-20-2012, 04:39 PM
I thought they would like to have this book translated. But, what is the normal process for translation of books ? I mean, what should I do ?

GraniteHills
02-20-2012, 04:44 PM
An author, or his/her publisher, or some combination of both, will typically have control over the translation of the original text. There may be instances where an author's contract makes no such provisions, but my understanding is most do.

If, for some reason, foreign translation wasn't broached in the original contract it might be worth one's (your) while to inquire with the publisher:

http://www.hachettebookgroup.com/customer_faqs.aspx

Skip down to "Rights and Permissions" for contact info.

onlyrp
02-20-2012, 06:02 PM
I am in publishing and I guarantee you RP's contract covers provisions for the work appearing in translation, in electronic versions, etc.

You can place an inquiry with the book's publisher but a typical author's contract is more than likely going to have these bases covered already.

yep. Try telling Ron Paul he shouldn't care about making money on his book.