PDA

View Full Version : Peter Thiel gives another $1.7 million to Ron Paul Super PAC (Endorse Liberty)

kathy88
02-20-2012, 05:43 AM
http://www.forbes.com/sites/lauriebennett/2012/02/20/billionaire-peter-thiel-gives-another-1-7-million-to-ron-paul-super-pac/

$1.7 Million from Thiel

anewvoice
02-20-2012, 05:45 AM
Here's hoping it is used effectively!

thoughtomator
02-20-2012, 05:47 AM
dunno that I'd call that a "game changer", though it should be a great help

a lot of Thiel-watchers just got their wish

ross11988
02-20-2012, 05:47 AM
Here's hoping it is used effectively!

They're probably buying ads in Arizona or Michigan. :(

millercards
02-20-2012, 05:55 AM
Way to go Mr. Thiel!!

Thank you!

digitaldean
02-20-2012, 06:00 AM
If they are smart they would use the money in Washington, Alaska, Idaho, North Dakota, Ohio, Vermont, and maybe even Virginia. Maybe that anti-Santorum ad could work since he is the flavor of the week now.

kathy88
02-20-2012, 06:02 AM
I'm going to remain positive and assume the money will be well spent. Thank you Mr. Thiel :)

splanky
02-20-2012, 06:02 AM
Imagine running a Ron Paul with youth and MONEY.

Thiel / Napolitano 2016.

neverseen
02-20-2012, 06:03 AM
That's endorse liberty. I thought the announcement was for revpac?

nobody's_hero
02-20-2012, 06:04 AM
I knew there was a rich man who believed in the free-market somewhere out there.

angelatc
02-20-2012, 06:04 AM
They're probably buying ads in Arizona or Michigan. :(

OK, to be fair, I haven't paid much attention to what buys they've made. But when I looked, all I saw was internet ads. That seemed like a waste...

kathy88
02-20-2012, 06:05 AM

OMG you are right. MORE good news coming? Must be President's Day or something...

bluesc
02-20-2012, 06:06 AM
Yeah, it's to Endorse Liberty.

I hope they commission some polls and use it in competitive states.

bluesc
02-20-2012, 06:07 AM
///

nobody's_hero
02-20-2012, 06:07 AM
Has Thiel ever heard of the RevolutionPAC?

I don't mean any offense to Endorse Liberty PAC, but, RevolutionPAC's ads are better . . . more professional looking. Endorse Liberty has put out a good 15 minutes long (!!!!) ad on youtube, maybe too long, but it gets the point across.

I've said it before and I'll say it again:

If we could combine RevolutionPAC's talent with Endorse Liberty PAC's resources, there wouldn't be a single person in the U.S. who has never heard the name "Ron Paul."

nobody's_hero
02-20-2012, 06:08 AM
TRIPLE POST!!!

nobody's_hero
02-20-2012, 06:08 AM
HOLY TRIPLE-POST BATMAN! (Honestly I don't know what the hell happened, must have had coffee jitters when I hit submit, lol)

bluesc
02-20-2012, 06:12 AM

I don't mean any offense to Endorse Liberty PAC, but, RevolutionPAC's ads are better . . . more professional looking. Endorse Liberty has put out a good 15 minutes long (!!!!) ad on youtube, maybe too long, but it gets the point across.

If we could combine RevolutionPAC's talent with Endorse Liberty PAC's resources, there wouldn't be a single person in the U.S. who has never heard the name "Ron Paul."

RevPAC told CNN to fire someone, created an action figure, built a TV stage, make a lot of videos of voters and aired Freedom to Facism with money that was donated to help Ron Paul.

At least Endorse Liberty actually tries to help Paul. They should definitely look into hiring some expert help though.

thoughtomator
02-20-2012, 06:14 AM
xkcd.com has a very timely graphic today...

Paul Or Nothing II
02-20-2012, 06:15 AM
Great work :) But now, how are we going to say that Paul isn't bought because big guys don't donate to him? Now, at least one has! :confused:

Here's more : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Thiel

Thiel is listed as a member of the Steering Committee of The Bilderberg Group, a controversial group of influential business and government leaders who meet annually behind closed doors under a media blackout to discuss world issues

This mayn't go down too well with ultra-conspiracy-nuts & it just so happens that many of them are Paul-supporters because he's not part of the whole bilderbergers, CFRs, etc etc thing, whatever it is So this donation might cause some backlash on Paul from conspiracy-nuts, I've already seen too many idiots saying "everything is planned & hence so is Paul, he's Jesuit (or mason or whatever they go crazy about :rolleyes:)", even if a kitty is stuck on a tree, they think even that could be part of some grand-conspiracy :D

Paul Or Nothing II
02-20-2012, 06:18 AM

Gee, dude, ONE post is enough, don't need 3 :D

J_White
02-20-2012, 06:19 AM
thanks to Thiel !!
hope they use it properly for some sharp ads (hint: Big Dog!!) in the coming states.

kathy88
02-20-2012, 06:20 AM
Great work :) But now, how are we going to say that Paul isn't bought because big guys don't donate to him? Now, at least one has! :confused:

Here's more : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Thiel

This mayn't go down too well with ultra-conspiracy-nuts & it just so happens that many of them are Paul-supporters because he's not part of the whole bilderbergers, CFRs, etc etc thing, whatever it is So this donation might cause some backlash on Paul from conspiracy-nuts, I've already seen too many idiots saying "everything is planned & hence so is Paul, he's Jesuit (or mason or whatever they go crazy about :rolleyes:)", even if a kitty is stuck on a tree, they think even that could be part of some grand-conspiracy :D

Ron has handled that before, with the donation from one supremacist during the biggest money bomb. Don't see an issue. We already fought those arguments.

nobody's_hero
02-20-2012, 06:23 AM
Gee, dude, ONE post is enough, don't need 3 :D

Yeah it was a triple post technical error, lol. I think I should win something. Gotta be a record.

kathy88
02-20-2012, 06:24 AM
Yeah it was a triple post technical error, lol. I think I should win something. Gotta be a record.

+rep for the triple post in record time :)

nobody's_hero
02-20-2012, 06:25 AM
RevPAC told CNN to fire someone, created an action figure, built a TV stage, make a lot of videos of voters and aired Freedom to Facism with money that was donated to help Ron Paul.

At least Endorse Liberty actually tries to help Paul. They should definitely look into hiring some expert help though.

No doubt about it. I cringed a bit the first time I saw that 15 minute youtube ad. They need some marketing help. 15 minutes is probably waaaaay beyond the attention span of someone logging in to youtube to watch a frog try to catch flies on an iPhone.

But I can't deny that Endorse Liberty deserves an A+++ for effort.

PaulConventionWV
02-20-2012, 06:31 AM
I knew there was a rich man who believed in the free-market somewhere out there.

Oh, there are more than a few.

bluesc
02-20-2012, 06:33 AM
No doubt about it. I cringed a bit the first time I saw that 15 minute youtube ad. They need some marketing help. 15 minutes is probably waaaaay beyond the attention span of someone logging in to youtube to watch a frog try to catch flies on an iPhone.

But I can't deny that Endorse Liberty deserves an A+++ for effort.

Funny story - the head of Endorse Liberty is a marketing professional who also runs a multi-million dollar marketing company.

I think TV ads are needed to reach the seniors. They moved towards TV ads just before Florida voted. After Florida they commissioned a poll for somewhere - wherever that is may be where they target next.

They are still running a few internet ads. A few thousand dollars worth a day.

nobody's_hero
02-20-2012, 06:37 AM
Funny story - the head of Endorse Liberty is a marketing professional who also runs a multi-million dollar marketing company.

I think TV ads are needed to reach the seniors. They moved towards TV ads just before Florida voted. After Florida they commissioned a poll for somewhere - wherever that is may be where they target next.

They are still running a few internet ads. A few thousand dollars worth a day.

Really? Well, 'success favors the bold,' I suppose. I wonder if there is a way to measure how successful their ads are.

Paulatized
02-20-2012, 06:39 AM
I hope they use it for feet-on-the-ground in Washington and North Dakota.

Oddone
02-20-2012, 06:39 AM
Wonder what RevPacs "game-changer" is. Because this doesn't help them one bit. I'd still love to see AdamT do some commercials for EndorseLiberty.

Feeding the Abscess
02-20-2012, 06:41 AM
Wonder what RevPacs "game-changer" is. Because this doesn't help them one bit. I'd still love to see AdamT do some commercials for EndorseLiberty.

Maybe EndorseLiberty is borrowing some of RevPAC's talent? I'm not aware of any laws preventing PACs from working together.

kathy88
02-20-2012, 06:56 AM

I think it's something to do with vote flipping, personally.

Liberty74
02-20-2012, 07:03 AM
I can only hope they pick a few states we have a realistic chance at winning and states which are proportional because $1.7 albeit a large sum from one person, it doesn't buy you much. There are 24 states from now to the end of March.

rp08orbust
02-20-2012, 07:11 AM
Paying enough people to knock on every door in Castine, ME and offer anyone who already supports Ron Paul a raffle ticket for a free car to be given away at the caucus on March 3 would win Maine for Ron Paul.

kathy88
02-20-2012, 07:13 AM
Paying enough people to knock on every door in Castine, ME and offer anyone who supports Ron Paul a raffle ticket for a free car to be given away at the caucus on March 3 would win Maine for Ron Paul.

Great idea, but I'm sure there are some kind of rules against this?

rp08orbust
02-20-2012, 07:16 AM
Great idea, but I'm sure there are some kind of rules against this?

Like what? It's a straw poll, no different from Ames, where people were given free tickets to hear Randy Travis if they voted for Michele Bachmann.

My idea is actually less manipulative than Bachmann's, which was essentially to bribe people to vote for her who had already turned out: First identify the Ron Paul supporters, then give them an incentive to show up.

02-20-2012, 07:17 AM

Yep.

The truther stuff is off putting for some I think. It's easier for them to donate to something a bit more professional like endorse liberty.

azxd
02-20-2012, 07:23 AM
OK, to be fair, I haven't paid much attention to what buys they've made. But when I looked, all I saw was internet ads. That seemed like a waste...
It is ... Only his support structure watches those ads.

Sematary
02-20-2012, 07:54 AM

Also, that donation was more than a month ago - I don't think this is it.

bbwarfield
02-20-2012, 07:58 AM
the creation of the first ULTRA-PAC all joining together in a corporate structure with specific department..... endorse liberty will be come internet marketing.... revpac will be split between Media and grass root supplies..... and santa rosa? dept of things that make people go "hwa?" (okay im not sure but everyone always mentioned there name was weird and the tag at the end of adds was illegible/looked like something youd see at the end of a video ment for a memorial)

not gonna happen but it would let people donate to "specific" things but leave make some funds more fungeable

freneticentropy
02-20-2012, 08:06 AM
The article says the money was donated in early January. That means it was already spent. There is nothing to see here.

UK4Paul
02-20-2012, 08:32 AM

I don't think all Bilderberg attendees are evil, bloodsucking scum :)

Bohemian Grove on the other hand........

sailingaway
02-20-2012, 08:36 AM
dunno that I'd call that a "game changer", though it should be a great help

a lot of Thiel-watchers just got their wish

this, and in tune with Ron's message.

But the last few things RevPak did were absolutely wonderful, the ads Corey et al did.

Three cheers for Thiel!

--
edit - however, it is to ENDORSE LIBERTY not RevPak, so how can it be the game changer for RevPak? Also, I agree it might already have been spent, but maybe not all.

specsaregood
02-20-2012, 08:40 AM

That santa rita PAC ads were the best of the bunch with the most bang for your buck.

sailingaway
02-20-2012, 08:42 AM
the creation of the first ULTRA-PAC all joining together in a corporate structure with specific department..... endorse liberty will be come internet marketing.... revpac will be split between Media and grass root supplies..... and santa rosa? dept of things that make people go "hwa?" (okay im not sure but everyone always mentioned there name was weird and the tag at the end of adds was illegible/looked like something youd see at the end of a video ment for a memorial)

not gonna happen but it would let people donate to "specific" things but leave make some funds more fungeable

Rita if it is still going is the only one doing tv ads targeting the 70% of GOP primary voters (older folks) who are NOT getting their news on the internet. Frankly, given Ron's dominance of the internet, they seem to be the one best targeting his marketing gap.

Constitutional Paulicy
02-20-2012, 08:57 AM
Didn't Thiel donate $900,000 not long ago? So is this another 1.7 mil on top of the previous donation?

sailingaway
02-20-2012, 08:59 AM
Didn't Thiel donate $900,000 not long ago? So is this another 1.7 mil on top of the previous donation?

It would seem so.

No Free Beer
02-20-2012, 09:01 AM
Some of you are such whiners! haha, good God.

He gave them the money, let them figure out what to do with it.

They're not stupid.

freneticentropy
02-20-2012, 09:09 AM
ATTENTION PEOPLE OF EARTH

Read the damn article. For the millionth time, this was money donated in early January. It's just now being reported. That money was likely spent long ago.

trey4sports
02-20-2012, 09:11 AM
Thiel is a cool f'n dude. that's 2.6 million he's donated to Ron Paul Pac's this cycle.

coffeewithchess
02-20-2012, 09:13 AM
Well, the good news is that with Google TV ads, for about $10,000 (depending on video editing/production costs, could be a lot less) 5 million more Americans can see commercials helping wake them up, I would say that's a minimal cost.

Magicman
02-20-2012, 09:40 AM
Billionaire Peter Thiel Gives Another $1.7 Million to Ron Paul Super PAC

Billionaire Peter Thiel has poured $1.7 million more into a super PAC supporting presidential candidate Ron Paul, bringing his total contributions to $2.6 million.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/lauriebennett/2012/02/20/billionaire-peter-thiel-gives-another-1-7-million-to-ron-paul-super-pac/

sailingaway
02-20-2012, 09:57 AM
Well, the good news is that with Google TV ads, for about $10,000 (depending on video editing/production costs, could be a lot less) 5 million more Americans can see commercials helping wake them up, I would say that's a minimal cost.

it won't happen it was spent on web ads watched by us, likely. I don't get why they thought Ron needed most more exposure on the internet, but there it is, it was their money:

Thiel donated $1.7 million to the so-called super-PAC, according to a report the group filed today with the U.S. Federal Election Commission. Endorse Liberty spent more than $2.9 million during the month and ended up with $60,181 in cash.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-02-20/paul-super-pac-pulls-in-2-4-million-in-january-with-thiel-help.html

02-20-2012, 12:02 PM
http://money.cnn.com/2012/02/20/news/economy/peter_thiel_ron_paul/

http://i2.cdn.turner.com/money/2012/02/20/news/economy/peter_thiel_ron_paul/peter.thiel.gi.top.jpg

NEW YORK (CNNMoney) -- Silicon Valley renaissance man Peter Thiel donated another $1.7 million in January to a super PAC that backs Ron Paul, according to disclosure documents filed Monday.

The PayPal co-founder donated $1 million on January 3, and followed that up 10 days later with an additional $700,000 gift.

The donations, disclosed in Federal Election Commission filings, account for almost 75% of the $2.3 million collected by the Endorse Liberty super PAC last month.

They aren't the first donations from the entrepreneur, venture capitalist and hedge fund manager.

Thiel made donations of $150,000 and $750,000 to the super PAC in December, gifts that were disclosed in the committee's year-end filing.

Thiel is the co-founder of PayPal and worth about $1.5bn.

trey4sports
02-20-2012, 12:03 PM
been posted, but thanks.

02-20-2012, 12:04 PM
been posted, but thanks.

Didn't see it. Sorry.

GeorgiaAvenger
02-20-2012, 01:33 PM
Pocket change for him. He will have plenty left for Rand.

Orwell
02-20-2012, 01:34 PM
New target of my mancrush: Peter Thiel

bluesc
02-20-2012, 01:36 PM
Pocket change for him. He will have plenty left for Rand. Ron.

FTFY

Theil is a libertarian. I don't see him donating anything significant to Rand tbh.

joshnorris14
02-20-2012, 01:41 PM
Pocket change for him. He will have plenty left for Rand.

Thiel is a RADICAL Libertarian. Unless Rand convinces Thiel he is the second coming of Rothbard, that isn't gonna happen.

jkob
02-20-2012, 01:42 PM
Maybe Thiel should run for something

joshnorris14
02-20-2012, 01:43 PM
Maybe Thiel should run for something

Run from America onto his seastead.

j3nn
02-20-2012, 01:45 PM
That's great!

MoneyWhereMyMouthIs2
02-20-2012, 01:49 PM
So we found the secret billionaire?

Sentinelrv
02-20-2012, 01:54 PM
The article says this money was donated in the beginning of January, so it has probably already been spent.

Schiff_FTW
02-20-2012, 02:00 PM
I wish he would donate to the Free State Project as well. They have done remarkably well with extremely limited resources; if I'm reading these figures (http://freestateproject.org/files/FSP%202011%20Income%20and%20Expenses.pdf) correctly a single million dollar donation would be equal to roughly 20 times their annual budget. Look at all they've done so far and think of the progress that could be made if they actually had some real money behind them.

Compare that to giving the money to a PAC which gives it to some huge media corporation in order to run some television ads that will be largely ignored and almost certainly won't affect the outcome of this race one iota.

Oh well, it is his money of course, I would just hope that someone with his track record of picking winners would focus his philanthropy where it is most likely to bring about real results.

Aratus
02-20-2012, 02:02 PM
So we found the secret billionaire?

my thoughts exactly, after all the controversy! i sorta really do miss SteveMartin from Aroostook!

angelatc
02-20-2012, 03:13 PM
The article says this money was donated in the beginning of January, so it has probably already been spent.

There should be notices of media buys filed. (Not saying there aren't - haven't looked.)

j3nn
02-20-2012, 03:15 PM
I wish he'd launch a nationwide 12-month billboard and print ad campaign; if I had billions, I'd be my own Super PAC :)

Ray
02-20-2012, 03:15 PM
Let's hope Endorse Liberty gets their act together...

eduardo89
02-20-2012, 03:16 PM
I hope they use this money wisely instead of blowing it on unwinnable races like Florida.

Imagine how far the $3.5 million the PAC spent in Florida would have gone in Colorado, Minnesota and Maine!!

They need to spend it on ND, Washington and whatever other caucus is on Super Tuesday and the following days.

parocks
02-20-2012, 03:17 PM
Paying enough people to knock on every door in Castine, ME and offer anyone who already supports Ron Paul a raffle ticket for a free car to be given away at the caucus on March 3 would win Maine for Ron Paul.

Right there. Support this idea. Perhaps it can be "tweaked" a little. But you have accomplished! When grassroots accomplishes, like you have, it just has to be noted.

On another thread, I have as idea "get rockstars to promise to play a free show in Castine if Ron Paul wins Maine." The idea is the same. Incentivize.

parocks
02-20-2012, 03:20 PM
That santa rita PAC ads were the best of the bunch with the most bang for your buck.

between santa rita and revpac, santa rita was better.

RPit
02-20-2012, 03:23 PM
That's to endorse liberty not revpac. So?

parocks
02-20-2012, 03:24 PM
Like what? It's a straw poll, no different from Ames, where people were given free tickets to hear Randy Travis if they voted for Michele Bachmann.

My idea is actually less manipulative than Bachmann's, which was essentially to bribe people to vote for her who had already turned out: First identify the Ron Paul supporters, then give them an incentive to show up.

agree. incentive.

also, agree with your success in the past.

Lord Xar
02-20-2012, 03:28 PM
Someone email them and ask what they are using the money for.

With the great ads revpac have put out, not sure why they cant get a piece of thiel.

Lord Xar
02-20-2012, 03:29 PM
.... maybe they are spending all that money in mass.

I joke.

economics102
02-20-2012, 03:31 PM
I hope they use this money wisely instead of blowing it on unwinnable races like Florida.

Yep. I admit I'm not aware of what all Endorse Liberty PAC does, but the fact that they spent a large amount of money in Florida really is hard to get past.

Kregisen
02-20-2012, 03:35 PM
The quote in the OP says it was donated in January, so like someone else pointed out, it's possible this money has already been spent.

economics102
02-20-2012, 03:41 PM
Maybe EndorseLiberty is borrowing some of RevPAC's talent? I'm not aware of any laws preventing PACs from working together.

Actually this has already happened. Endorse Liberty paid Revolution PAC $10,000 for the rights to some video (don't know what specifically).

unknown
02-20-2012, 03:52 PM
No one tell RevPac...

:(

Barrex
02-20-2012, 04:04 PM
So what is that "game changer"???
When will it be anounced?

kathy88
02-20-2012, 04:09 PM
So what is that "game changer"???
When will it be anounced?

It was an Android app for exit polling. True Story.

abruzz0
02-20-2012, 04:15 PM
Yes, please, for the love of all higher deities do not burn this cash in a primary state that we're gonna get creamed in. We need to get our high 20s and 30s in the caucus states up to 40s and 50s.

Jingles
02-20-2012, 04:40 PM
I got to see Peter Thiel speak this weekend. He is quite the awesome dude.

sailingaway
02-20-2012, 04:42 PM
Yes, please, for the love of all higher deities do not burn this cash in a primary state that we're gonna get creamed in. We need to get our high 20s and 30s in the caucus states up to 40s and 50s.

It was already spent, as I posted earlier. they had $60,000 or so on hand.

Lord Xar
02-20-2012, 04:50 PM
I appreciate what EndorseLiberty has done. I just think they targeted a mostly already onboard demographic.

I'd really like to see what RevPac can do with 2million dollars.

I don't see why a best-seller writer, Woods, can't get an audience with Thiel.

I will say, those "broadcasts", and "other" things to further the exposure of certain people IN revpac have been somewhat irritating. This is about Ron Paul, not some dude trying to get speaking time in a broadcast to a few thousand already supporters.

I think, personally, that RevPac - with that money, could give us some needed wins. Their commercials are poignant and very "to the heart".

joshnorris14
02-20-2012, 10:27 PM
Lord, I guarantee you Thiel knows all the major guys in Rev Pac.

rp2012win
02-20-2012, 10:34 PM
The quote in the OP says it was donated in January, so like someone else pointed out, it's possible this money has already been spent.I think this the pac that spent millions in FL even though it was a closed primary and the very best paul could do was an extremely distant 3rd. He still got 4th.

02-20-2012, 10:35 PM
I think this the pac that spent millions in FL even though it was a closed primary and the very best paul could do was an extremely distant 3rd. He still got 4th.

That was Santa Rita IIRC

joshnorris14
02-20-2012, 10:40 PM
That was Santa Rita IIRC

No, Santa Rita PAC spent a few hundred thousand in South Carolina.

Endorse Liberty spent millions in Florida.

JasonC
02-20-2012, 10:57 PM
Thanks Mr. Thiel :)

seawolf
02-20-2012, 10:57 PM
Why can't Endorse Liberty create some 30 second TV Ad's and Radio Ad's. Virtually all of their $2.6 Million Expenditures thus far have been for internet ads.

Our target demographic is not on the internet much. They watch Conservative TV and listen to conservative radio.

Anyway, unless we get an infusion in one of our Super Pac's of $5 Million this week we will not be able to match or even come close to the Romney or Gingrich Super Pacs who are just gearing up right now for Super Tuesday.

Paul Or Nothing II
02-20-2012, 11:59 PM

Yes, I'd like some "electability" ads about how Paul is the ONLY Republican that can actually beat Obama, we're going to convince them on FP so quickly, the best way to convert them is to show them Paul has the highest "electability in the General Election - http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?361726-Ron-Paul-is-the-most-quot-electable-quot-Republican

Why can't Endorse Liberty create some 30 second TV Ad's and Radio Ad's. Virtually all of their $2.6 Million Expenditures thus far have been for internet ads.

Our target demographic is not on the internet much. They watch Conservative TV and listen to conservative radio.

Anyway, unless we get an infusion in one of our Super Pac's of $5 Million this week we will not be able to match or even come close to the Romney or Gingrich Super Pacs who are just gearing up right now for Super Tuesday.

puppetmaster
02-21-2012, 12:33 AM
Go peter!

puppetmaster
02-21-2012, 12:36 AM
Not sure if this getz said enough. We are kicking ass this election cycle. Massive increase in results. Thanks Peter for your help

onlyrp
02-21-2012, 12:50 AM
Has Citizens United & Super PAC successfully circumvented McCain Feingold regulations?

Arklatex
02-21-2012, 01:08 AM
god bless this angel