PDA

View Full Version : AL - Remember that 85 y/o man that got beat down for a "citizen's arrest" by cops?

Anti Federalist
02-20-2012, 12:32 AM
Fairhope man settles police brutality suit for $50,000

Published: Sunday, February 12, 2012, 2:00 PM

http://blog.al.com/live/2012/02/fairhope_man_settles_police_br.html

MOBILE, Alabama -- Fairhope’s insurance carrier agreed last week to pay $50,000 to settle a police brutality lawsuit filed by an 85-year-old man who claimed an officer assaulted him in 2009.

Andy Rutens, an attorney hired by Alabama Municipal Insurance Corp., said part of the settlement will reimburse Medicare and the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs for treatment that plaintiff Dorsey Henderson received after the incident.

Rutens said Fairhope officials did not admit wrongdoing and, in fact, believe Officer Trent Scott acted appropriately. He noted that Henderson withdrew his claim against the officer earlier this year.

"An internal affairs investigation found no wrongdoing," he said. "Officer Scott used proper techniques and immediately provided proper care as soon as (Henderson) hurt his arm and shoulder."

Keith Landers, an attorney for Henderson, said his client is very elderly.

"In the end," he said, "I think the integrity and respect he wanted was restored."

The lawsuit contended that Scott told Henderson that there was "no such thing as a citizen’s arrest in Alabama," and said, "Get out of the way, old man," after Henderson subdued a driver who had attempted to run away from a wreck across from Henderson’s home on Thompson Hall Road in May 2009.

Henderson’s wife, Dorris Henderson, watched from her wheelchair on her front porch as Scott wrenched her husband’s right arm, slammed him face-first into their gravel driveway, then struck his head, back and neck, the lawsuit said.

It also contended that Scott waived off an ambulance as Henderson sat handcuffed with a broken nose following the altercation. A superior officer called for the ambulance to return, and paramedics took Henderson to the hospital.

City officials maintained that Dorsey Henderson, a retired Army intelligence officer and veteran of 3 wars, failed to obey a lawful command by the officer.

Anti Federalist
02-20-2012, 12:33 AM
Epic comment winner posted on this story:

uablazed February 15, 2012 at 1:36PM
Follow

I wonder when people are going to realize that cops aren't put on this earth to help you, they are put to work to create revenue so that they can pay their own salaries. There are some good cops but they are few and far between so any smart citizen knows better than to engage a cop in even a friendly conversation. The problem is positions as an officer of the law don't pay well so police positions rarely attract America's best and brightest, so you end up with more Farvas and Barney Fife types than you do Walker Texas Ranger types. It's sad but even in Fairhope the last person I'm calling if I need help is a cop.

Krugerrand
02-20-2012, 05:54 AM
Epic comment winner posted on this story:

Except that I'm of the opinion that they are highly overpaid. I don't think paying them any more will attract any better cops.

Danke
02-20-2012, 09:43 AM
Except that I'm of the opinion that they are highly overpaid. I don't think paying them any more will attract any better cops.

I have two cousins that are cops. They make close to 6 figures and will retire at 50, and make close to 6 figures in retirement.