PDA

View Full Version : Jeremy Lin Is An Evangelical Christian and Majored in Economics..

anaconda
02-19-2012, 10:37 PM
Wonder if he's into politics? He'd be a sweet endorsement for Ron Paul right about now..

http://sm-a2.yimg.com/image/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fmedia.zenfs.com%2Fen_us%2FNews%2 FReuters%2F2012-02-19T204947Z_1773740807_GM1E82K0DOH01_RTRMADP_3_NBA. JPG&maxWidth=300&maxHeight=300&t=1329712755&ttl=129600&sig=QAphkSFlzsK9O6bpL6jwzQ--~B

Indy Vidual
02-19-2012, 10:51 PM
Is he the Tim Tebow of Basketball?

anaconda
02-20-2012, 02:09 AM
Is he the Tim Tebow of Basketball?

He's this kid who recently got a chance to play (he was in the minor league on January 23rd) because some starters were injured and he's setting the world on fire. The Knicks are something like 7-1 since he began starting about 2 weeks ago. I read the wikipedia on him and it says he's an Evangelical Christian. His parents are from Taiwan. No team in the NBA drafted him and no college would give him a scholarship. He scored 38 points against the Lakers a few days ago in a win for the Knicks. He's also great with other non scoring productivity (assists, steals, etc.). He's one of the few Asian-American NBA players. Apparently everyone in the Big Apple is going nuts over the guy.

And somebody wrote an article on the Tebow comparison. Curiously, the article does not mention that Lin is also an Evangelical Christian.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/writers/michael_rosenberg/02/14/lin.tebow/index.html

Demigod
02-20-2012, 02:43 AM
He's this kid who recently got a chance to play because some starters were injured and he's setting the world on fire. The Knicks are something like 8-1 since he began starting about 3 weeks ago. I read the wikipedia on him and it says he's an Evangelical Christian. His parents are from Taiwan. No team in the NBA drafted him and no college would give him a scholarship. He scored 38 points against the Lakers a few days ago in a win for the Knicks. He's also great with other non scoring productivity (assists, steals, etc.). He's one of the few Asian-American NBA players. Apparently everyone in the Big Apple is going nuts over the guy.

He is first in lost balls as well.He has that many points per game cause he takes half the team shots.Because he is new the other teams defencive players did not know how he plays.In 2 months he is done,he is an average player nothing more.

anaconda
02-20-2012, 03:18 AM
He is first in lost balls as well.He has that many points per game cause he takes half the team shots.Because he is new the other teams defencive players did not know how he plays.In 2 months he is done,he is an average player nothing more.

But I heard he shoots over 58% from the floor. So why not take shots when you're open? He is very fast, has remarkable driving lane aggressiveness and finesse, passes with either hand, and makes tons of assists. I don't even follow basketball but I find this highlight film very impressive:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8iWWFk6TX18

anaconda
02-20-2012, 03:35 AM
They are calling it "Linsanity" in New York...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rR3NhE8fBs8

anaconda
02-20-2012, 03:43 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZc5_Z_zTZ4&feature=related

giovannile07
02-20-2012, 04:34 AM

That's absolutely not true. I've been following Lin since the Warriors signed him last year. Just because he has many turnovers doesn't mean he's bad, he is the guy with the ball the most often, so it is expected that he'll turnover the ball a few times. Have you seen his assists numbers? He's been getting many assists and recently 14 assists in his last game, he's a team player and knows how to handle and pass the ball. Also, he is technically not new, this is his second season, he was on the Warriors last season and although he didn't play too much it doesn't mean people don't know how to defend him that's just a wrong statement it's not like he's coming up with completely new moves no one has ever seen before. This is the NBA, not some pick up game, these players have been playing for many years they know what they're doing, he's just a smart player. I bet you anything that two months he won't be done, that's just absurd for you to think that. I don't think you even watch basketball, do you, just from the statement "first in lost balls," makes it seem like you don't.

giovannile07
02-20-2012, 04:37 AM
He's this kid who recently got a chance to play (he was in the minor league on January 23rd) because some starters were injured and he's setting the world on fire. The Knicks are something like 7-1 since he began starting about 2 weeks ago. I read the wikipedia on him and it says he's an Evangelical Christian. His parents are from Taiwan. No team in the NBA drafted him and no college would give him a scholarship. He scored 38 points against the Lakers a few days ago in a win for the Knicks. He's also great with other non scoring productivity (assists, steals, etc.). He's one of the few Asian-American NBA players. Apparently everyone in the Big Apple is going nuts over the guy.
He came undrafted into the NBA, the Warriors took him up. He went to Harvard, but Ivy Leagues don't give scholarships and yeah he has had a rough time toward the NBA. When he was at the Golden State Warriors, everyone loved him too, at least the Asian community.

anaconda
02-20-2012, 04:45 AM
That's absolutely not true. I've been following Lin since the Warriors signed him last year. Just because he has many turnovers doesn't mean he's bad, he is the guy with the ball the most often, so it is expected that he'll turnover the ball a few times. Have you seen his assists numbers? He's been getting many assists and recently 14 assists in his last game, he's a team player and knows how to handle and pass the ball. Also, he is technically not new, this is his second season, he was on the Warriors last season and although he didn't play too much it doesn't mean people don't know how to defend him that's just a wrong statement it's not like he's coming up with completely new moves no one has ever seen before. This is the NBA, not some pick up game, these players have been playing for many years they know what they're doing, he's just a smart player. I bet you anything that two months he won't be done, that's just absurd for you to think that. I don't think you even watch basketball, do you, just from the statement "first in lost balls," makes it seem like you don't.

Good point about the turnovers. I saw this article and it is pretty interesting. Steve Nash, for example, has a significantly higher turnover rate..

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/basketball/nba/02/16/jeremy.lin.knicks/

ThePursuitOfLiberty
02-20-2012, 08:26 AM
This guy is the real deal - It'd be hard to say if the Harvard education would push him towards Paul.

Someone in NY - get him on the streets and ask him with a video camera. I've got more friends who have met him in the past two weeks than ever before. He is very down to earth and speaks to EVERYONE.

Fermli
02-20-2012, 10:19 AM
Jeremy Lin Is An Evangelical Christian and Majored in Economics..
Wonder if he's into politics? He'd be a sweet endorsement for Ron Paul right about now..

The fact that he majored in economics makes him less likely to support Paul, not more. Most people who are halfway decent know there's something fishy/immoral/useless about the economics they learn and steer clear. You might as well be asking someone who majored in political science if they are into libertarianism.

anaconda
02-20-2012, 04:44 PM
The fact that he majored in economics makes him less likely to support Paul, not more. Most people who are halfway decent know there's something fishy/immoral/useless about the economics they learn and steer clear. You might as well be asking someone who majored in political science if they are into libertarianism.

With all due respect, I feel that this is a urban legend promulgated on the Forums and by Ron Paul himself. Almost every economics professor I have ever had is incredulous about government policy undermining overall social welfare. Introductory principles students are often introduced to this with examples of agricultural price supports and quotas. And examining the effects of government purchases in necessary and reasonable. Also, it is my sense that the data is very accurate from places like the Bureau Of Economic Analysis. Economists should not be vilified because of politicians or a small handful of deceitful economists that are feeding at the trough of big government.

Feeding the Abscess
02-20-2012, 05:07 PM
I don't think you even watch basketball, do you, just from the statement "first in lost balls," makes it seem like you don't.

I think he's from Europe, and English isn't his first language.

anaconda
02-20-2012, 05:15 PM

This was made when he was with the Warriors last year.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CLzrLXQIbwM&feature=fvst

Feeding the Abscess
02-20-2012, 06:07 PM
This was made when he was with the Warriors last year.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CLzrLXQIbwM&feature=fvst

I was referring to demigod.

Coo video though

giovannile07
02-20-2012, 09:25 PM
Well, either way if he was from Europe, he should know what turnovers are, I've spoken with people who watch the NBA from Europe and they know what turnovers are and everything. I don't doubt the fact that English may not be his first language, but whether he actually is knowledgeable about basketball is another thing.

BlackTerrel
02-20-2012, 09:34 PM
Don't know about his politics... dude can ball.

Guitarzan
02-20-2012, 09:57 PM
He's the next Michael Jordan. You heard it here first.

Lots of dudes can ball, but not many are ballers, plus great team players, and most importantly, he's clutch.

camp_steveo
02-20-2012, 09:57 PM
nice story. overlooked. HA

No Free Beer
02-20-2012, 10:00 PM
Glenn Beck already trademarked him...

anaconda
02-21-2012, 03:24 PM
He's the next Michael Jordan. You heard it here first.

Lots of dudes can ball, but not many are ballers, plus great team players, and most importantly, he's clutch.

I watched my first basketball game in years yesterday. Lin seemed to get into trouble when he drove to the basket yesterday. He would approach for the lay up only to find himself towered over and menaced by the extended hands and arms of 2 or 3 tall defenders. He would be airborne and kind of stuck and, without a shot, would often try to make a rather desperate and flailing attempt at an assist or pass off, frequently ending up in the hands of the Nets. This is the only real criticism I could find. I wonder if he should have simply tried to follow through and make the shot himself in some of these situations?

But his success from "out of no where" is a great story and good for the NBA right now.

giovannile07
02-27-2012, 08:35 PM
I watched my first basketball game in years yesterday. Lin seemed to get into trouble when he drove to the basket yesterday. He would approach for the lay up only to find himself towered over and menaced by the extended hands and arms of 2 or 3 tall defenders. He would be airborne and kind of stuck and, without a shot, would often try to make a rather desperate and flailing attempt at an assist or pass off, frequently ending up in the hands of the Nets. This is the only real criticism I could find. I wonder if he should have simply tried to follow through and make the shot himself in some of these situations?

But his success from "out of no where" is a great story and good for the NBA right now.
Deron Williams I heard was really trying to stick it to him and sort of like end the hype I think. He's not going to play great every game, a lot of players have down points, so I don't blame him.

dvalukis
02-27-2012, 09:16 PM
As an avid sports fan, I have no high opinion of Jeremy Lin. It's another example of how the media creates symbols, stories, and narratives that don't exist in reality. I've watched him play and he's an average player at best. The reason for the hype is because 3 of the New York Knicks starter's were out and they were teetering on a .500 record with no expectations of winning any of their next 5-6 games. Then this Lin guy gets the chance to start and has 1 good game. The New York media fires up the win in the next day's papers because it was unexpected and the guy happens to have a name with lots of word-play possibilities. Then he does "good" in the next 3 games because he's basically playing with a team full of "nobodys". So he's touching the ball on basically every possession and taking a lot of shots.

It's the same thing that happens in any other sport within that specific market. For example, here in Tampa, Florida we had an outfielder catch fire at the beginning of the year for the Tampa Bay Rays. He seemed to be winning every game for us; Sam "Superman" Fuld. Everyone in the area heard this guy's name for 2 weeks straight. In reality, Sam Fuld was your run of the mill outfielder who hadn't found a consistent starting job in any of his 4 years in the majors. As the year went on he began to struggle and ultimately ended up playing a role as a guy who came off the bench. If Jeremy Lin were to be playing for the Toronto Raptors there's no way in hell any of us would know his name. It's the power of the New York media.

The reason I'm explaining all this is to show to what degree the media will go to get a story. As long as it's not a complete "stretch" of reality, they'll print it. What's odd, is that they're selective when they do this. Like for instance, the number of people that have recently been attending the RP rally's. It's a for sure sign of momentum and something brewing. If this were happening to Santorum or Romney, they'd be all over it. So something is stopping them from them covering this. All the ingredients are there (Ron Paul vs. Jeremy Lin). Both underdogs, not expected to win, have different styles than their oppents... and so on. America loves a story like this, but it's being squashed. So that's the sad part.

That the media stretches reality just for narratives, but when one is right in front of them, we end up just asking for them to report the TRUTH. Just imagine if they were to elaborate in Dr. Paul's favor! It would be game over. The guy already is an amazing story, but to "Jeremy Lin" him and make him look even better than he really is would be lights-out. So I guess what we have to look for is if the media ever starts collectively "Lin-ing" Ron Paul. I think that would start a snowball so big that it would avalanche him into the oval office.

giovannile07
02-28-2012, 04:07 AM
As an avid sports fan, I have no high opinion of Jeremy Lin. It's another example of how the media creates symbols, stories, and narratives that don't exist in reality. I've watched him play and he's an average player at best. The reason for the hype is because 3 of the New York Knicks starter's were out and they were teetering on a .500 record with no expectations of winning any of their next 5-6 games. Then this Lin guy gets the chance to start and has 1 good game. The New York media fires up the win in the next day's papers because it was unexpected and the guy happens to have a name with lots of word-play possibilities. Then he does "good" in the next 3 games because he's basically playing with a team full of "nobodys". So he's touching the ball on basically every possession and taking a lot of shots.

It's the same thing that happens in any other sport within that specific market. For example, here in Tampa, Florida we had an outfielder catch fire at the beginning of the year for the Tampa Bay Rays. He seemed to be winning every game for us; Sam "Superman" Fuld. Everyone in the area heard this guy's name for 2 weeks straight. In reality, Sam Fuld was your run of the mill outfielder who hadn't found a consistent starting job in any of his 4 years in the majors. As the year went on he began to struggle and ultimately ended up playing a role as a guy who came off the bench. If Jeremy Lin were to be playing for the Toronto Raptors there's no way in hell any of us would know his name. It's the power of the New York media.

The reason I'm explaining all this is to show to what degree the media will go to get a story. As long as it's not a complete "stretch" of reality, they'll print it. What's odd, is that they're selective when they do this. Like for instance, the number of people that have recently been attending the RP rally's. It's a for sure sign of momentum and something brewing. If this were happening to Santorum or Romney, they'd be all over it. So something is stopping them from them covering this. All the ingredients are there (Ron Paul vs. Jeremy Lin). Both underdogs, not expected to win, have different styles than their oppents... and so on. America loves a story like this, but it's being squashed. So that's the sad part.

That the media stretches reality just for narratives, but when one is right in front of them, we end up just asking for them to report the TRUTH. Just imagine if they were to elaborate in Dr. Paul's favor! It would be game over. The guy already is an amazing story, but to "Jeremy Lin" him and make him look even better than he really is would be lights-out. So I guess what we have to look for is if the media ever starts collectively "Lin-ing" Ron Paul. I think that would start a snowball so big that it would avalanche him into the oval office.
I wouldn't say he's just an average player, he is a good player, he knows what to do in different situations, also he has great team chemistry. Also, even when Stoudemire and Anthony came back he still played superb, also even with Baron Davis back. Although he's been beat up a few games, he usually has a way to contribute, even when he's not scoring he can hand out an assist, he is a greater passer who is very down to earth and selfless. Also, he wasn't playing with a bunch of nobodies, Tyson Chandler is one of the top centers, Landry Fields is a second year that is coming out, and Iman Shumpert is coming around too. Also, you can't expect him to be perfect from the start, this is his second year and many rookies and sophomores still have struggles, but just looking from the game he has potential, I'm not saying he will definitely be one of the best players, but he has potential you have to give him that. He also actually had a good game against the Nets the game before he actually started then he got another good game when he started and it continued. To say he only played well because nobody else was good is a bit over exaggerated, the New York Knicks has a lot of players with great potential and beating a team like the Los Angeles Lakers (I'm a Lakers fan by the way) with one of the best players in the history of the NBA, Kobe Bryant, I think to say he's an average player is not giving him enough credit. I believe we would have still heard his name, well I already knew him because I followed his path from the Warriors, but when a player is not expected to do well starts to burst out people will hear about it even if it's a not so great team, if you're looking at the standings and thinking wow how the heck are the Raptors in the playoffs you will know there's someone who is making a major difference.

Demigod
02-28-2012, 04:22 AM
No way to win this argument only time can tell.

We will see who was right and who was wrong in 2 years.

Tinnuhana
02-28-2012, 05:35 AM
Interesting comment: "He's the NBA's next Michael Jordan". Notice how we tend to think in terms of notoriety (in a good way) and stardom instead of comparing him with past players. So who does he remind you of style-wise?
On another note, I think it is great for this year's rookies, in a way, that there is a shortened season. Eighty-two games plus playoffs can take quite a toll on young bodies.

Dreamer
02-29-2012, 10:14 PM

I been tracking Lin since he was still a Harvard kid and probably a little after he kicked my school's ass. He has shown talent before. He kicked ass in high school. He was a top power at Harvard. He was averaging great scores with the D-league team too. And the amount of playing time Lin got with the Warriors over all those games is about equal to the first three starting games after he shown himself with the Knicks.

I should also note that the Knicks was not a barely .500 time with a prospect of losing another 5/6 more games after losing their star players. They were a 8-15 team WITH their star players and looking all but ensure to lose most of the final 12 games towards the All-Star game. I can think of only two thing that can make Lin's arrival anymore dramatic. One is set for the future to be seen. The other is the kind old neighbor who showed some wise advice to this game when he was a kid who will die in the playoffs.

I been tracking Lin as I been tracking Paul. Hopeful to see they make the big breakthrough and change in the world. One actually came true. Hopefully Paul's will have his turn too.

addam.345
03-05-2012, 05:44 AM
nice work thanx for the information

:D

addam.345
03-05-2012, 05:47 AM
nice work thanx for the information

:D

Find Jobs in UAE (http://www.sleekcareer.com/index.php?cat=133)
&
Find jobs in Pakistan (http://www.sleeksight.com/)

PaulConventionWV
03-05-2012, 04:11 PM

His physical intelligence is off the charts. Considering he's from Harvard, he's probably intelligent in quite a few ways. Demigod seems to think it's just beginner's luck, but even I can tell that's not true. That guy is a fox.

PaulConventionWV
03-05-2012, 04:13 PM

Uh, I majored in political science.... You got a question for me?