PDA

View Full Version : Kansas Caucus Speakers

Brett85
02-19-2012, 10:04 PM
The Kansas caucus is coming up on March 10th, and I had been wanting to give a speech on behalf of Ron Paul in my local caucus in Stafford County, Kansas. I wanted to give a five minute speech or so about how Ron Paul actually represents what the Republican Party use to believe in regarding foreign policy issues, and I was going to name a number of historical Republican figures such as Robert Taft and Pat Buchanan and explain that they supported the same foreign policy that Ron Paul supports. However, I recently learned that you can only give a one minute speech if you're simply a "regular voter." That wouldn't be nearly enough time for me to give my speech. But, the rules also say that you can give a five to ten minute speech if the candidate designates you as an "authorized representative." Does anybody know whether it's even possible for Ron Paul to designate me as an "authorized representative?" If so, does anybody know how I could become an "authorized representative?" Thanks.

Matt Davidson
02-19-2012, 10:36 PM
If you are running as a delegate, you should run as yourself and not as a representative of Ron Paul. Talking about Ron Paul will only alienate more than 50% of the audience.

I was elected as a delegate to the RNC in 2008 by talking about generic conservative principles and unique expertise that I would bring to the delegation. Talk about your occupation, family history, dedication to conservative values, etc., but don't mention Ron Paul.

Do identify as many Ron Paul supporters who are eligible to vote in the caucus and encourage them to come and vote for you. This is how you will win. You will get their votes, and some of the other (more neocon) republicans will also vote for you. That is a recipe for a win!

Brett85
02-19-2012, 10:40 PM
If you are running as a delegate, you should run as yourself and not as a representative of Ron Paul. Talking about Ron Paul will only alienate more than 50% of the audience.

I was elected as a delegate to the RNC in 2008 by talking about generic conservative principles and unique expertise that I would bring to the delegation. Talk about your occupation, family history, dedication to conservative values, etc., but don't mention Ron Paul.

Do identify as many Ron Paul supporters who are eligible to vote in the caucus and encourage them to come and vote for you. This is how you will win. You will get their votes, and some of the other (more neocon) republicans will also vote for you. That is a recipe for a win!

I don't really have any idea what you're talking about. I'm not running as a delegate. I don't know anything about that. I simply wanted to give about a five minute speech explaining that Ron Paul supports traditional Republican principles in regard to foreign policy issues. My goal would be to get more people to vote for Ron in the GOP caucus. I can only give such a speech if I'm recognized by the campaign as an "authorized representative."

Brett85
02-19-2012, 11:14 PM
Bump.

Matt Davidson
02-19-2012, 11:22 PM
Contact your state coordinator if there is one in Kansas. I'm guessing that you don't have one though if these aren't delegate selection caucuses. I don't know the rules for Kansas, but if there's no process for selecting delegates at the local level, then the campaign probably isn't using their resources in your state. If you just want votes for Dr. Paul, bring some literature and stand outside if you can't give a speech.

If you do have a delegate selection process at these caucuses, I would forget about getting votes for Dr. Paul, and just run as a delegate yourself. One delegate is worth thousands of votes!