PDA

View Full Version : How many people could we get to a single rally?

Sematary
02-19-2012, 04:54 PM
In 2007, on Veterans Day, we (meaning myself and others who were members of this board then - mostly from the Philly meetup) put together a plan to execute a rally in Philadelphia on Veterans day. It was at Independence Mall and *almost* didn't come off due to the campaign trying to muddle it up, but we got it done. We had about 3000 people attend (the theoretical maximum of the space we used).

I want to do it again. I'm not sure where or when (obviously) because the idea just came to me, but I think we could put something together for April or May that would get alot of attention if we could get 15,000 to 20,000 people there - in an OPEN space, not an arena or anything like that. I attended the "rally" in Minnesota 4 years ago and while we filled the place up - nobody knew we were there.

We need to do it again - we need to make it BIG and it has to be noticeable.

So how many people do we think we could realistically get to a rally?
Where could we hold it?
How many people would be willing to work on it?
Who has an "in" with the campaign that we could exploit to get Dr. Paul there?
Who has an "in" with some media outlets that we could exploit?

Is this something that anyone other than me thinks could be pulled off AND worth it?

For those who weren't around - feel free to check out the planning section for the Philly Rally 4+ years ago here:
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/forumdisplay.php?131-Philly-Rally-Planning

Sematary
02-19-2012, 06:13 PM
I know there have to be grassroots supporters who would be interested in getting something like this going - after all, that is what grassroots is all about, and in case you're wondering what could happen - well, here is the video from the Rally in 2007:

Ron Paul Philadelphia Rally (11/10/07)

Part 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4q32wlRTy5U

Part 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uia5g535NyU

Part 3
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Naqepva9TU

Part 4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_Az0WFDVs4

Part 5
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Skbrjnu97tY

Part 6
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=79oWNXQQC80

Carson
02-19-2012, 06:32 PM
Theoretically...eventually...all of them!

Ron Paul

GraniteHills
02-19-2012, 06:37 PM
I know of a 33-acre plot of farmland in Paul-friendly NH... :)

Paulstock...?

badger4RP
02-19-2012, 06:53 PM
Restore the Republic Rally had ~15,000
March on DC had ~10,000
Boston Tea Party ~6,000

i say we can get 30,000+ in a central location... Chicago? St. Louis? Austin? Although a Tampa rally for the nomination might be a show of force and be the extra bump we need. If Paulstock happens in NH, ill be there in late Oct fyi ;)

Sematary
02-19-2012, 06:55 PM
March on DC had ~10,000
Boston Tea Party ~6,000

i say we can get 30,000+ in a central location... Chicago? St. Louis? Austin? Although a Tampa rally for the nomination might be a show of force and be the extra bump we need. If Paulstock happens in NH, ill be there in late Oct fyi ;)

I'm actually speaking to one one of the guys who helped set up the Philly Rally and we are both thinking the same thing - something that focuses on Ron Paul during the convention. More to come....

kathy88
02-19-2012, 06:57 PM
Valley forge park? April15th. It's a Sunday.

Sematary
02-19-2012, 07:17 PM
No, really - thinking something coordinated between the delegates inside the convention and the grassroots outside the convention. No concrete ideas yet but could certainly use something good.

walt
02-19-2012, 07:24 PM
If you do anything during the convention, it should be in Tampa. All the media in the world will be there.

Carson
02-19-2012, 07:29 PM
March on DC had ~10,000
Boston Tea Party ~6,000

badger4RP,

I thought your 6,000 estimate was for something recent.

I don't think high numbers are needed when you have the hearts and minds of your countrymen on your side.

Boston Tea Party

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Snip...

—about 7,000 people had gathered around the Old South Meeting House.[56] After receiving a report that Governor Hutchinson had again refused to let the ships leave, Adams announced that "This meeting can do nothing further to save the country." According to a popular story, Adams's statement was a prearranged signal for the "tea party" to begin. However, this claim did not appear in print until nearly a century after the event, in a biography of Adams written by his great-grandson, who apparently misinterpreted the evidence.[57] According to eyewitness accounts, people did not leave the meeting until ten or fifteen minutes after Adams's alleged "signal", and Adams in fact tried to stop people from leaving because the meeting was not yet over.[58]

Snip...

While Samuel Adams tried to reassert control of the meeting, people poured out of the Old South Meeting House and headed to Boston Harbor. That evening, a group of 30 to 130 men, some of them thinly disguised as Mohawk Indians, boarded the three vessels and, over the course of three hours, dumped all 342 chests of tea into the water.[59] The precise location of the Griffin's Wharf site of the Tea Party has been subject to prolonged uncertainty; a comprehensive study[60] places it near the foot of Hutchinson Street (today's Pearl Street).

From;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boston_Tea_Party

Also of note at the end;

Legacy

Snip...

In 2006, a libertarian political party called the "Boston Tea Party" was founded. In 2007, the Ron Paul "Tea Party" money bomb, held on the 234th anniversary of the Boston Tea Party, broke the one-day fund-raising record by raising $6.04 million in 24 hours.[71]

tmg19103
02-19-2012, 08:20 PM
I was just talking to Bob (Sematary) about this on the phone and we were thinking about something in Tampa in coordination with delegates (no concrete thoughts yet).

If we have the number of delegates we hope to have, there will be a lot in the RNC in Tampa.

Perhaps something coordinated that the delegates would do at the RNC and those at a massive rally/march outside in Tampa would do at the same time.

The goal would be to have Ron be the talk of the RNC in Tampa. To make RP the story - whether he is nominated or not.

The goal would be to make the media focus on what RP supporters outside and RP delegates inside are doing and to make that such a major story that it becomes the primary focus of the convention for the media.

This is where we are looking for ideas.

It would have to be something unique, defining and something that can't be ignored. It can't be belligerent or anything that would piss people who don't support RP off, but rather something respectful but that is so incredible that RP would be the talk of the entire convention - and nation.

This is where we are looking for thoughts on what this can be in regards to an amazing message being sent by delegates inside and a massive rally/march outside the RNC.

BrittanySligar
02-19-2012, 09:00 PM
Rally for the Republic x 2. So 30k

joshnorris14
02-19-2012, 09:10 PM
If it's in Tampa, I'm there.

danda
02-19-2012, 09:45 PM
RonStock 2.0: Rally for a Sound Economy.

Make it a week long event, like Burning Man, with its own mini economy. People can setup shops and eateries. Showcase their talents. Rent out tents or RVs for people that are traveling long distances. Emphasize competition in currency by having entrance booths where people can exchange FRNs for alternative currency: silver coins, liberty dollars, etc.

Ok, its ambitious, and I'm probably dreaming too big, but hey, Burning Man had to start somewhere, right?

Imagine if this became a yearly event, showcasing sound monetary policy and a free economy.

Sematary
02-19-2012, 10:31 PM
RonStock 2.0: Rally for a Sound Economy.

Make it a week long event, like Burning Man, with its own mini economy. People can setup shops and eateries. Showcase their talents. Rent out tents or RVs for people that are traveling long distances. Emphasize competition in currency by having entrance booths where people can exchange FRNs for alternative currency: silver coins, liberty dollars, etc.

Ok, its ambitious, and I'm probably dreaming too big, but hey, Burning Man had to start somewhere, right?

Imagine if this became a yearly event, showcasing sound monetary policy and a free economy.

But what could we DO that would both simultaneously Make Ron Paul THE story and at the same time not "upset the apple cart" if you will for future needs (such as a Rand Paul candidacy)

Sematary
02-19-2012, 11:04 PM
Ok - I have a concept (very fluid at the moment) but we could have the delegates in the convention unveil (just an idea) a Giant copy of the Constitution with the parts that have been gutted since 9/11 X'd out in RED (like blood) or something to that effect, while on the Outside, we could have 20,000 or 30,000 supporters of liberty and freedom doing something similar - perhaps using a helicopter to lower an even larger version of the same? Like I said, just a basic concept - needs alot of work, but we could REALLY use this opportunity to hammer home the losses to our freedoms that have been experienced over the last 10 years. It would also be a good chance to do something spectacular to drive home the debt and finally to tie it all in to Dr. Paul's platform.

02-19-2012, 11:15 PM
You could probably get 10,000 people. It would be cool and everyone would have a good time.

But why? It's going to cost all sorts of money for people to travel to and rent out a suitable location. It doesn't help at all to get Ron elected. It'll be a minor blip in the news cycle.

Maybe you should rent a blimp. :rolleyes:

Sematary
02-20-2012, 07:42 AM
You could probably get 10,000 people. It would be cool and everyone would have a good time.

But why? It's going to cost all sorts of money for people to travel to and rent out a suitable location. It doesn't help at all to get Ron elected. It'll be a minor blip in the news cycle.

Maybe you should rent a blimp. :rolleyes:

Oh, I think if the right idea came along, it would be much more than that.

roversaurus
02-20-2012, 08:23 AM
I want to do it again. I'm not sure where or when (obviously) because the idea just came to me, but I think we could put something together for April or May that would get alot of attention if we could get 15,000 to 20,000 people there - in an OPEN space, not an arena or anything like that. I attended the "rally" in Minnesota 4 years ago and while we filled the place up - nobody knew we were there.

If you do it for April or May it should be some state that is having a primary/caucus. Just look for a central state and have it there a week before the vote. The attendee's could go canvas after the rally

LibertyRevolution
02-20-2012, 09:03 AM
I drove from CT to go to the Philly rally in 2007. That was awesome.
Best part was having thousands of us in downtown passing out slim jims and dvds.