PDA

View Full Version : What does a precinct captain do?

Perry
02-19-2012, 12:32 PM
Simple question. What is expected of a precinct captain? What sort of things do they do?

Suzu
02-19-2012, 12:48 PM
Contact all the voters in your precinct. May need to delegate volunteers to help. Can go door-to-door (best) or phone, or combination. Find the Paul people. Keep records of their contact info. Get them out to vote or caucus.

tsai3904
02-19-2012, 12:50 PM
In some states, a precinct captain is a voting member of the local GOP. This is very important since you would be able to vote in local party matters (like electing a Chairman, Vice Chairman, State Committeeman, etc.)

MozoVote
02-19-2012, 12:57 PM
If you make an effort to pass out literature or improve voter registration, it will improve your standing with the local GOP. Many people become precinct chairs without understanding that they are volunteering to actually "do" something for the party. Turnover is high, and county Republican organizations need the live bodies badly. My county has precincts every year that go unstaffed.

Perry
02-20-2012, 01:44 AM
Well I am the precinct captain now. Guess nobody else volunteered. Sure hope the campaign helps me with this because I haven't got a clue where to begin.
I'm rather afraid but ready to knock on doors or do whatever it is I have to do.

J_White
02-20-2012, 06:24 AM
IIRC, last election cycle, the Campaign page had a link to become precinct captains and showed how many they had registered, i wonder why there is none now.
maybe moved into the volunteer link ?

kathy88
02-20-2012, 06:40 AM
IIRC, last election cycle, the Campaign page had a link to become precinct captains and showed how many they had registered, i wonder why there is none now.
maybe moved into the volunteer link ?

I've been looking for that info myself.

Carehn
02-20-2012, 06:49 AM
You get to vote in your party meeting and you are expected to rally the troops in your PC.

vechorik
02-20-2012, 08:17 AM
I'm a member of a state delegate organizational Facebook page for RP, but to be honest -- it's not doing much. I joined my county Republican group and that's where the action is. That's where I'm learning how the delegates are elected and that's where I volunteered to be precinct chairman for the party. They'll train me in what to do. In the meantime, I'm studying Robert's Rules of order and keeping in tough with the RP organizational page to get the names of other RP people. I have to know who to vote for precinct, county, district and state level.

No one ever volunteers for precinct chairman at my voting location. If I had not done it, it would have 0. Get involved with your local Republican county organization!

In my small town, with no one interested in the delegate process, all I have to do is take some friends/family members to the precinct meeting to vote for me as a delegate and to get someone else (my husband) to run for alternate. That same day, we go to the county delegate election (and by then should have the names of RP people to vote for -- and they will also be voting for me).

mosquitobite
02-20-2012, 08:19 AM
yeah, last time around the party was a LOT better about sharing the precinct information. I'm wondering why not this time? I could have rallied another dozen plus people to file as delegates if they had shared this :(

Austin
02-20-2012, 09:27 AM
Just to be clear, are you a precinct captain for the Ron Paul campaign or for the GOP?

Perry
02-20-2012, 11:22 AM
For the Paul campaign.