PDA

View Full Version : Rick Santorum Santorum complains about earmarks he voted for

LisaNY
02-18-2012, 12:31 PM
Even as he criticized Obama, Santorum also went after one of Romney's most promoted achievements — his leadership at the 2002 Olympic Winter Games in Salt Lake City.

"One of Mitt Romney's greatest accomplishments, one of the things he talks about most is how he heroically showed up on the scene and bailed out and resolved the problems of the Salt Lake City Olympic Games," Santorum said. "He heroically bailed out the Salt Lake City Olympic Games by heroically going to Congress and asking them for tens of millions of dollars to bail out the Salt Lake games — in an earmark, in an earmark for the Salt Lake Olympic games."

The Romney campaign does not dispute that congressional earmarks helped save the games. But they noted that Santorum voted for those earmarks, among many others, when he was a senator.

"Sometimes when you shoot from the hip, you end up shooting yourself in the foot," Romney spokeswoman Andrea Saul said.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5hsK6sF4jemO79MnqrWvqna_VmmeA?docId=712b938f7 db44d4b9c3f73719df999b6

rpwi
02-18-2012, 12:48 PM
LOL... Really hope Santorum and Romney really go at each other over the earmark issue in next weeks debate...destroy each other...and then Ron points out that he opposed them all.

This could really hurt Santorum...most people have no idea he voted for the 'bridge to nowhere', airline bailout, steel bailout (including a steel company owned by Bain), a polar bear exhibit in the Pittsburg zoo and so much more.

Romney actually has a recent ad out that's not too bad: http://thecaucus.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/02/17/new-romney-ad-attacks-santorum-for-earmarks/ (near the top is the video)

In it he has a quote of an awkward Santorum saying he is proud of his earmarks...and blast him on the 'Bridge to Nowhere'. Too bad Ron didn't have the money to air ads like this...we still benefit though :D

LisaNY
02-18-2012, 12:55 PM
yeah, how can you rail against things you supported while in office? He is lying to people on the campaign trail by misrepresenting himself like this.

bluesc
02-18-2012, 12:58 PM
Haha that's great.

Feeding the Abscess
02-18-2012, 02:06 PM
LOL... Really hope Santorum and Romney really go at each other over the earmark issue in next weeks debate...destroy each other...and then Ron points out that he opposed them all.

This could really hurt Santorum...most people have no idea he voted for the 'bridge to nowhere', airline bailout, steel bailout (including a steel company owned by Bain), a polar bear exhibit in the Pittsburg zoo and so much more.

Romney actually has a recent ad out that's not too bad: http://thecaucus.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/02/17/new-romney-ad-attacks-santorum-for-earmarks/ (near the top is the video)

In it he has a quote of an awkward Santorum saying he is proud of his earmarks...and blast him on the 'Bridge to Nowhere'. Too bad Ron didn't have the money to air ads like this...we still benefit though :D

Because while Ron does oppose earmarks, he Robin Hoods earmarks for his district. He's correct on the issue, but it's not easy to explain to people and could look bad if it's brought up in a counterattack.

bluesc
02-18-2012, 02:09 PM
Because while Ron does oppose earmarks, he Robin Hoods earmarks for his district. He's correct on the issue, but it's not easy to explain to people and could look bad if it's brought up in a counterattack.

Ron should avoid the earmarks debate at all costs. If he remains silent, many in the audience may assume innocence (not that Ron's position is wrong).

Cleaner44
02-19-2012, 12:55 AM
Here is another copy of the article:
http://www.usatoday.com/news/politics/story/2012-02-18/santorum-obama/53146940/1

coffeewithchess
02-19-2012, 01:10 AM
Ron should avoid the earmarks debate at all costs. If he remains silent, many in the audience may assume innocence (not that Ron's position is wrong).

They already tried to get him on it in a debate, and I thought he answered it pretty effectively actually...was surprised.

RickyJ
02-19-2012, 02:22 AM
It is a good thing the voters of Pennsylvanian voted him out. The guy is a basket case.

The three stooges, Romney, Santorum, and Gingrich, offered up as the only legitimate candidates for President by the elite, is proof that they consider the majority of us idiots and are having a good laugh at our expense with this sham of an election which is nothing more than a show.

JJ2
02-19-2012, 02:33 AM

Ron does not oppose earmarks. He believes it is the Constitutional duty of Congress to earmark every penny.

Feeding the Abscess
02-19-2012, 06:14 AM
Ron does not oppose earmarks. He believes it is the Constitutional duty of Congress to earmark every penny.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BWTyHbGcUQY

He makes several analogies pertaining to opposing something, but still working within that system as a way of Robin Hooding.

@1:00

It's sorta like you coming and asking for your SS check - I don't like the system, and I want to change it, but I don't deny your access to your representative

@1:29

To me, it's like taking a tax credit or tax deduction. I want to get rid of the income tax, but I'm still going to give you all the tax credits possible, in order to get as much money back. So to me, it's in that category.

matt0611
02-19-2012, 09:14 AM
Lulz :D

Santorum is just an ant ready to be stomped. There's just so much on him and his voting record and the things he has said you could make a whole documentary. If only the media actually vetted him. Romney will no doubt crush him soon though.

rpwi
02-19-2012, 09:54 AM
Meh...I think Ron would be fine if this was brought up in a debate. He votes against all these bills in the general vote and that's what really matters.