PDA

View Full Version : Would you participate in a nationwide food drive?

Edward
11-12-2007, 11:19 PM
I've seen a number of threads, or comments in threads, regarding a nationwide food drive. As I've said elsewhere, I think would be great publicity to garner support for Ron Paul and offset the "fringe" aspect of grassroots supporters. (TAKE THAT GLENN BECK!) It might also make a small statement that people can take care of other people without government intervention.

When would we do this? Prior to Thanksgiving? (Would we have enough time to get organized?) Prior to Christmas? Who here can set up a website to get this organized? What would it be called? (One suggestion: www.ronpaulfooddrive.com. Any others?)

ckhagen
11-12-2007, 11:34 PM
I'm all for it. Like I said in the thread earlier this evening about "winning hearts", doing charitable things will show the nation that we are not spambots living in our mother's basements, but actually good neighbors.

Edward
11-13-2007, 01:07 AM
Hmmm.... 11 people, 2 cans of SPAM each. Not bad!

Bullieblack
11-13-2007, 01:20 AM
Let's do it. We can plan a date, notify all the meetup groups and all do a food drive on the same day. Like the money bomb idea only we'd be doing something for the community and spreading the word. If we all went out on the same day and did it, that would get publicity. I really love the idea.

walt
11-13-2007, 01:55 AM
I think someone tried this once during the weekend of the NH walk in late September and had trouble doing it. They had trouble getting other people involved. You might want to search the board back a bit. :D

Ozwest
11-13-2007, 02:04 AM
Yeah, Semetary tried to get a national food drive going. It was a good idea then, and an even better idea now.

fluoridatedbrainsoup
11-13-2007, 05:21 AM
The Wilmington meetup is ready to swing into action. Let's get us a date set.

greves
11-13-2007, 05:30 AM
December 16th, anyone?

krott5333
11-13-2007, 06:44 AM
December 16th, anyone?

sure why not

krott5333
11-13-2007, 06:45 AM
we should collaborate with our meetup groups to buy rolls and rolls of lapel stickers, and put a Ron Paul lapel sticker on each canned item we give.

rancher89
11-13-2007, 07:47 AM
we should collaborate with our meetup groups to buy rolls and rolls of lapel stickers, and put a Ron Paul lapel sticker on each canned item we give.

That is an awesome idea.

1. we get food to hungry people
2. we get free media coverage for doing so
3. the people that need RP in charge get to see his name on their cans, check him out and maybe, just maybe they decide to vote for him

constituent
11-13-2007, 07:48 AM
yea hey, meetup organizers could begin working on having everyone get together w/ their canned goods at local public gathering spots (say parks or whatever).... then folks can march together w/ signs and what not to the food banks...

just a thought.

Brian Bailey
11-13-2007, 07:51 AM
Great idea!

December 15th?
Rights Rally '07

It could drive up awareness before the donation drive. It would also give us time to plan. This seems like the sort of thing that people will skip out on unless there is ample planning and they can really work it into their schedules.

This is exactly the sort of thing The Paulunteer (http://www.paulunteer.com) is for. Keep me updated if you will.

Bryan
11-13-2007, 08:25 AM

I really like the idea overall and this is certainly a good idea above. So far there are 40+ votes to help out.

Let me know if we need a sub-forum for the project. :)

rancher89
11-13-2007, 08:36 AM
I really like the idea overall and this is certainly a good idea above. So far there are 40+ votes to help out.

Let me know if we need a sub-forum for the project. :)

A big definite yes

Let's do this, I've already posted on the worldwide meetup message board and my local meetup. We could do this with as few as three or four at a location such as Wal Mart. Just think of the impact!

ross11988
11-13-2007, 09:57 AM
What would better a food drive for thanksgiving or Christmas? Thanksgiving is somewhat close and might be hard to get things organized.

Naraku
11-13-2007, 10:05 AM
Here's a name for it: Turkey Bomb. :D

Edward
11-13-2007, 10:33 AM
What would better a food drive for thanksgiving or Christmas? Thanksgiving is somewhat close and might be hard to get things organized.I think after Thanksgiving would be better, too, but I'm not sure when. Is it better to do it the 15th in order to drum up additional press for the 16th, or is it better to do it the week before or the week after in order to extend press coverage? Thoughts?

Ron LOL
11-13-2007, 10:35 AM

I like this idea. :)

Edward
11-13-2007, 11:17 AM
Is anyone here willing to put together a simple website to help implement the plan?

Edward
11-13-2007, 01:01 PM
It seems as though there are two different ideas on how to do this:

1) Ron Paul supporters go door-to-door or stand outside a grocery store to collect food items which are then turned over to local food banks.

2) Ron Paul supporters purchase food items or gather them from their own pantries, then turn them over to local food banks.

I think #1 might generate more exposure, but that #2 might generate more participation. Thoughts?

Edward
11-13-2007, 03:51 PM
bump

krott5333
11-13-2007, 03:58 PM
okay, my thoughts.

Lets do it on December 15th.

We need to contact all meetup groups within a certain radius of our own. EVERYONE NEEDS TO DO THEIR PART.

I think we should gather up as much items as we can on our own, as well as have donation drives prior to the 15th to gather food for the 15th.

And hit up all the food with Ron Paul stickers! 500 lapel stickers for $30: http://www.ronpaulgrassrootshq.com/store/ron-paul-2008-stickers-and-decals/500-count-ron-paul-2008-lapel-stickers.html

or we could even get the label sheets and print our own.

I'm just trying to figure out the best way to gather food without chipping away at our donation fund for the 16th.

Bryan
11-13-2007, 04:36 PM
It seems as though there are two different ideas on how to do this:

1) Ron Paul supporters go door-to-door or stand outside a grocery store to collect food items which are then turned over to local food banks.

2) Ron Paul supporters purchase food items or gather them from their own pantries, then turn them over to local food banks.

I think #1 might generate more exposure, but that #2 might generate more participation. Thoughts?

Let the free markets decide. Both ideas are good, it satisfies both sides of those who have more time to give than money and those who have more money to give then time. :)

I say keep if different than the 12/16. This can get some good PR right before the big 12/16 hit- the idea is to keep Ron Paul in the news as much as possible.

Edward
11-13-2007, 09:22 PM
Any other feedback?

Brinck Slattery
11-13-2007, 09:39 PM
you could take it a step further and implement the boycott on Glenn Beck's sponsors/advertisers who have used media hostile and slanderous to Ron Paul (think Hannity, etc.) when buying the food for the food drive.

Brinck Slattery
11-14-2007, 09:28 AM
bump

RTsquared
11-14-2007, 09:55 AM
I'm in whenever. I've got a ton of food in my pantry that, between our problems, neither my wife nor I can eat. I'd love for someone to get some use out of it, and if it helps the cause, so much the better.

KewlRonduderules
11-14-2007, 09:59 AM
December 15th- the day of activism.

Food drive with Ron Paul stickers= Activism.

Activism= First Amendment

First Amendment = Bill of Rights

GO FOR IT!!!

:D

Actually come to this of it, this is BRILLIANT idea!!! Kudos to ever thought of it!

Mark Rushmore
11-14-2007, 10:05 AM
My 2 cents.

The food drive idea is great overall, but the idea of Ron Paul stickers on the cans gets me a little nervous. A little too reminiscent of days/places where people really do buy votes from the hungry with food. I realize it's well intended but I worry it might work out against us. Wearing Ron Paul gear while collecting for the drive, or while distributing food, etc.. sounds great. Only when you actually politicize the food itself rather than the mission at large it starts getting uncomfortable.

parke
11-14-2007, 10:06 AM
I think the 15th would work wonderful. Imagine the tie in with the Boston Tea Party. We will prove that America can take care of herself.

This is an awesome idea.

Ill post it in our meetup.

Edward
11-14-2007, 07:46 PM
Any ideas on how this should be publicized?

RobS
11-14-2007, 11:19 PM
Hit the forums, get a site going, talk to the Teaparty people, Facebook group, Myspace bulletins etc etc.

Perhaps a site that lists the Meetups that have signed up to do the event so far? I don't think individual pledges will be as big of a deal, as you do need numbers in your area for this to really work.

rancher89
11-15-2007, 05:46 AM
I've decided to just go and buy a bunch of stuff and donate it myself. I'll put stickers on everything and just spread the word at the food bank when I drop it all off. No one in my meet up has responded. sigh. When I get back from Thanksgiving vacation, I'll check in on progress and hope that a more cohesive plan has emerged. Have a nice holiday you guys!

freedom_junkie
11-15-2007, 06:26 AM
This can be done by giving out the recipe thanksgiving flyers when they donate food, so basically the donors are getting the RP info :) this would work well at grocery stores. I don't think the 15/16th is enough time!

thehittgirl
11-15-2007, 07:55 AM
My 2 cents.

The food drive idea is great overall, but the idea of Ron Paul stickers on the cans gets me a little nervous. A little too reminiscent of days/places where people really do buy votes from the hungry with food. I realize it's well intended but I worry it might work out against us. Wearing Ron Paul gear while collecting for the drive, or while distributing food, etc.. sounds great. Only when you actually politicize the food itself rather than the mission at large it starts getting uncomfortable.

I think I'd rather put one sticker on each bag of food. This way, we are getting the word out, letting them know we are RP supporters, but not overdoing it and not being wasteful(of the stickers)

rdenner
11-15-2007, 08:15 AM
EXCEPTIONAL IDEA...

Anyone have a good tie in date for something like this..

This could MAKE HUGE NEWS if we can promote it like we did the Nov 5th thing.

THANKSGIVING TURKIES!! Maybe.??

Robert

Edward
11-15-2007, 09:57 AM
EXCEPTIONAL IDEA...

Anyone have a good tie in date for something like this..

This could MAKE HUGE NEWS if we can promote it like we did the Nov 5th thing.

THANKSGIVING TURKIES!! Maybe.??

RobertThis has been set up for Wednesday, November 21st.... http://ronpaulthanksgiving.com . Please pass the word or add it to your sig.

Stealth4
11-15-2007, 09:58 AM
we absolutely need to do this.

Edward
11-15-2007, 03:02 PM
www.ronpaulthanksgiving.com appears to be getting some hits. Thanks to those who are giving this some attention!

Edward
11-15-2007, 09:33 PM
www.ronpaulthanksgiving.com appears to be getting some hits. Thanks to those who are giving this some attention!bump

Edward
11-19-2007, 10:12 PM
Please check out these threads:

Christmas food drive (http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=38682)

What would be the best day to hold the nationwide Christmas Food Drive? (http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=39240)

NoxTwilight
11-19-2007, 11:05 PM
I saw last week an interview with the founder of MeetUp.com and he said that they were going to launch a new thing for meetup for groups to coordinate better together on a larger scale - this would be a great first try. Think they are scheduled to launch it next month but perhaps a few hundred emails begging to beta test it would be useful?

Anyway I am good with pretty much anything. I like the idea of doing it at a high traffic store (grocery or target or walmart) Better exposure I think but really each meet up can set up and coordinate their own for what's best for their area.

I liked the idea of a generic site name since we can do this at anytime showing that we don't need a holiday to care for the less fortunate in our communities. Perhaps ronpaulcharities.com or something even more generic - we can collect clothing and other things as well.

Edward
11-19-2007, 11:12 PM
I saw last week an interview with the founder of MeetUp.com and he said that they were going to launch a new thing for meetup for groups to coordinate better together on a larger scale - this would be a great first try. Think they are scheduled to launch it next month but perhaps a few hundred emails begging to beta test it would be useful?

Anyway I am good with pretty much anything. I like the idea of doing it at a high traffic store (grocery or target or walmart) Better exposure I think but really each meet up can set up and coordinate their own for what's best for their area.

I liked the idea of a generic site name since we can do this at anytime showing that we don't need a holiday to care for the less fortunate in our communities. Perhaps ronpaulcharities.com or something even more generic - we can collect clothing and other things as well.Two thoughts: 1) I like giving people the option of purchasing food items or collecting them out of their own pantries, then delivering them en masse with their Meet-up group or a large number of other supporters. 2) In order to increase publicity, I think it would work better if their was a set day in which everyone contributed.

AFTFNJ
11-19-2007, 11:14 PM
Lets do this! Anything for RP!

Edward
11-19-2007, 11:15 PM
Please check out these threads:

Christmas food drive (http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=38682)

What would be the best day to hold the nationwide Christmas Food Drive? (http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=39240)

NoxTwilight
11-19-2007, 11:47 PM
Two thoughts: 1) I like giving people the option of purchasing food items or collecting them out of their own pantries, then delivering them en masse with their Meet-up group or a large number of other supporters. 2) In order to increase publicity, I think it would work better if their was a set day in which everyone contributed.

Yup Yup agreed :)

Roxi
11-20-2007, 12:04 AM
doing it on the 15th could possible double our donation numbers on the 16th... get it in the media as fast as we can that day so it is fresh in peoples minds.

Edward
11-20-2007, 12:09 AM
doing it on the 15th could possible double our donation numbers on the 16th... get it in the media as fast as we can that day so it is fresh in peoples minds.I like that day, too!

NoxTwilight
11-20-2007, 12:10 AM
As long as it's a weekend i'm good :)

Edward
12-17-2007, 01:49 AM
Bumping this for those who might be interested. I like the food drive idea, but I don't think it will ever fly.

Man from La Mancha
12-17-2007, 01:59 AM
No because of my belief in nutritional food that is non processed which most of the donations would be of poor nutritional value. If the emphasis would be on raw type of nutritious products I would be for it. I find that 90% of the health problems we have are from the crap people eat. But if you want to do it I'm all for you. You should have the choice to do what you want with your own bodies.

Edward
01-14-2008, 10:08 PM
This idea has again resurfaced here...

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=89847