PDA

View Full Version : Ron Paul to speak at MSU (Michigan)

sailingaway
02-17-2012, 11:29 AM
http://cmsimg.lansingstatejournal.com/apps/pbcsi.dll/bilde?Site=A3&Date=20120217&Category=ELECTIONS01&ArtNo=302170045&Ref=AR&MaxW=640&Border=0&Ron-Paul-speak-MSU

http://www.lansingstatejournal.com/article/20120217/ELECTIONS01/302170045/Ron-Paul-speak-MSU?odyssey=tab%7Ctopnews%7Ctext%7CFRONTPAGE

FSP-Rebel
02-17-2012, 11:36 AM
Although not confirmed yet, the auditorium seats over 4k. I'll def try to bring a crew out of Wayne co to join the fun. Just hope it's not too early (work hours).

amonasro
02-17-2012, 11:37 AM
Awesome. Wish I could be there.

bobmurph
02-17-2012, 11:44 AM
RP needs to give a speech on the steps of the Michigan Union in Ann Arbor. After he is elected President we can have a Ron Paul plaque right next to the JFK plaque commeratating the founding if the Peace Corps.

carterm
02-17-2012, 11:49 AM
have a bunch of friends in east lansing. going to start pulling teeth

PeteinLA
02-17-2012, 12:19 PM
Ron Paul supporters = Spartans

Evilfox
02-17-2012, 12:33 PM
Although not confirmed yet, the auditorium seats over 4k. I'll def try to bring a crew out of Wayne co to join the fun. Just hope it's not too early (work hours).

man I grew up in Wayne county. lol brings back memories of cherry hill road! Wish I could go to the event....

Son of Detroit
02-17-2012, 12:48 PM
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

FUUUCKKKK.

(pardon my french).

:(.

BKom
02-17-2012, 01:05 PM
Because limiting campaign appearances to universities has been a winning strategy?

Better to have ten town halls over a three day period with a couple hundred, you know, actual voters at them, than to once again have a great rally, with the same speech as every other rally, and no questions answered for actual voters. Maybe Ron should learn to play guitar and grow his hair long, then he can complete the rock star experience, in front of people, most of whom, don't vote.

Someday there will be a candidate who uses the Santorum strategy to spread the liberty message and win. But just not now.

sailingaway
02-17-2012, 01:06 PM

FUUUCKKKK.

(pardon my french).

Um, do you want to explain your odd response .... nvm.....

I like Ann Arbor, I wasn't really focusing on the university involved. I was imagining it in Ann Arbor.

Trigonx
02-17-2012, 01:08 PM

FUUUCKKKK.

(pardon my french).

hahah too Funny. Michigan losses to little brother in getting Ron Paul.

BTW, Whisky fan here.

sailingaway
02-17-2012, 01:08 PM
Because limiting campaign appearances to universities has been a winning strategy?

Better to have ten town halls over a three day period with a couple hundred, you know, actual voters at them, than to once again have a great rally, with the same speech as every other rally, and no questions answered for actual voters. Maybe Ron should learn to play guitar and grow his hair long, then he can complete the rock star experience, in front of people, most of whom, don't vote.

Someday there will be a candidate who uses the Santorum strategy to spread the liberty message and win. But just not now.

When you are lower on funds you go where the events are easy. And in Michigan the only way Ron would win is if Romney and Santorum cannibalize eachother and he gets a surge. If he 'wins' Maine and does really well in Washington, he might also get a surge. But otherwise, what Ron needs is for troops to turn out. And it DID work in Minnesota, as well as New Hampshire, and given Ron's poll numbers apparently got him outsized delegates in Colorado as well. Nevada was the weird one.

I understand he has a brother in West Michigan however, and if he stays there, I hope he will have a local event on the west side of some sort.

Son of Detroit
02-17-2012, 01:10 PM
Um, do you want to explain your odd response to his coming to your very University?

Not my university! I go to the University of Michigan, he's speaking at Michigan State University (a college that's inferior to us in every way). :D

Son of Detroit
02-17-2012, 01:11 PM
hahah too Funny. Michigan losses to little brother in getting Ron Paul.

BTW, Whisky fan here.

We should have used Brady Hoke to help recruit Paul. Add to our already great recruiting class.

sailingaway
02-17-2012, 01:13 PM
Not my university! I go to the University of Michigan, he's speaking at Michigan State University (a college that's inferior to us in every way). :D

I just figured that out (the different colleges part) Sorry!!

roho76
02-19-2012, 12:16 PM
I just checked the campaign site and this is still unconfirmed. I hope this happens. I am already bringing 13 people with if this goes down. :) :) :)

BUSHLIED
02-19-2012, 01:04 PM

YEP. Many of us have been clamoring for this town-hall style approach to campaigning for months...it seems like common sense. Not sure why the campaign doesn't adopt this strategy. At least the campaign is still holding rallies and stepping them up...better than nothing I suppose. Ron's speech performance are spotty...his townhall approach has almost always been reliably strong.

freedomforever!
02-19-2012, 01:07 PM
You guys think he will be coming to U of M?

Lavitz
02-19-2012, 01:17 PM

FUUUCKKKK.

(pardon my french).

lmao. My first thought upon seeing the thread title was "Wow, MSU? Sucks for the U of M peeps."

carterm
02-19-2012, 01:24 PM
msu alum here!

UtahApocalypse
02-19-2012, 01:33 PM
Would love to know what he is doing the rest of the three days here. Were going to try and make the rally though.

Elwar
02-19-2012, 01:37 PM
msu alum here!

+1 w00t!

I remember going to see Bill Clinton speak on campus...I shook his hand...he went on to win.

Just sayin..

Butchie
02-19-2012, 01:38 PM

THANK YOU!!!!!! That is what I'm saying, two of my cousins go to school there so yeah, I'm going to go see him, but seriously this is just more preaching to the choir, and although I don't doubt he'll draw a big crowd as usual most of them will already support him and and a good chunk won't even bother to vote.

Cap
02-19-2012, 05:14 PM
I would love to see him come out to Grand Valley State as well. Amash country.

socal
02-19-2012, 07:26 PM
I agree RP should have some Q&A types of meetings, but preferably in larger audience formats where it wouldn't be plausible to have a mic passed around the room. This could be accomplished by having people submit written questions, or questions over the internet with twitter or facebook, etc. That would also avoid the problem of questioners droning on and on trying to make a point.

But I don't think it's valid to conclude that Santorum's rise in the polls is due to his campaign strategy of many smaller Q&A town halls. RP has taken on the powerful establishment with literally trillions of dollars at their disposal, and he's not going to get a fair shake from the national media no matter what strategy he adopts. So with that and other differences between RP & Santorum, who's to say Santorum's rise is not due to those other factors, as opposed to the campaign strategy mentioned above ?

Sure RP isn't coming in first, but how do we know he wouldn't be doing worse if he copied Santorum's campaign event format ? Having events at large, supportive venues makes it more likely that local media will cover them, and gives a rock star aura to RP. Supporters can bring their undecided friends, and energizing the base helps RP with caucus states. Also, it's not like young people are islands onto themselves, as witnessed by Jack Welch's recent comments about his kids support of RP.

I do fault the campaign however, for not bringing their own filming crew to the events, and quickly posting high quality videos to YouTube in an easily searchable format.

roho76
02-19-2012, 07:56 PM
I don't think he could have a town hall style meeting anymore. That'd be like booking Pink Floyd at the Blind Pig in Ann Arbor and making it public.

sailingaway
02-19-2012, 08:20 PM
I don't think he could have a town hall style meeting anymore. That'd be like booking Pink Floyd at the Blind Pig in Ann Arbor and making it public.
In NH even towards the end he was having town halls but he would only take 4 or so questions with the crowds so big, and the mike was passed around. Even so, it pulled his speech down to nuts and bolts, which is really what it needs.

Wolfgang Bohringer
02-19-2012, 09:10 PM

In NH even towards the end he was having town halls but he would only take 4 or so questions with the crowds so big, and the mike was passed around. Even so, it pulled his speech down to nuts and bolts, which is really what it needs.

Remember when Bono used to interrupt U2 concerts and call Bill Clinton many years ago? There's no reason that becoming a stadium-rock size act should stop Ron from getting to the nuts and bolts. U2 was smart enough to take advantage of their unique position. We're frittering it away.

After each of Ron's Raucous Rallies, all he has to do is put on a serious one or two hour 2nd Act where he sits down at a panel with a few foreign policy expert authors and journalists and has 1 microphone up near the stage just a few feet from Ron and the panel where undecided voters can walk up, look Ron in the eye, and Ask Ron. At worst the youtubes from these Ask Ron Dialogs alone might be enough to draw enough attention to avert a nuclear holocaust. But its more likely that the spectacle of an American politician of such prominence giving citizens such complete access and allowing such scrutiny of his policies and ideas would be something that the military owned media couldn't ignore.

Ok, thank you for allowing me to day dream for a minute. Back to the status quo.

theswedishchef
02-19-2012, 09:20 PM
+1 w00t!

I remember going to see Bill Clinton speak on campus...I shook his hand...he went on to win.

Just sayin..

you'd better be there then!