PDA

View Full Version : Maine, by the numbers

Sematary
02-17-2012, 07:21 AM
So the original (and erroneous) caucus results had Mitt Romney winning by 194 votes (we all knew this).
As reported by Ben Swann, Ron Paul picked up an additional 21 votes over Flipper in Waldo county and 16 in Waterville

Now - we're down to 157

ASSUMING that we GOTV in Washington county and what remains to caucus in (Hancock county?) - I think it's Hancock county - we still have a hill to climb (just trying to be realistic). We would have to get 158 MORE votes than Flipper in these caucuses in order to "win" Maine.

Last election, John McCain won this county. Which gives me hope. They obviously didn't like Flipper then and since his numbers THIS election cycle are generally down, I would have to think that they will be down here as well. We MAY get a boost from froshy and Grinch voters but I wouldn't count on it.

So, in order to pull this off I would think that AT A MINIMUM 500 people would have to caucus - and larger numbers would better and RON Paul would have to pull somewhere in the neighborhood of 70+ percent of the vote. If THOUSANDS show up, as the reporter from the Portland Press Herald intimated COULD happen, then I think our chances are EXCELLENT.
If hundreds show up, I would say, perhaps not.

The Wildcard? Besides the voter turnout I mean - is the RECOUNT. We all know the story of Belfast and how the GOP had already reported numbers (before they got a call from the town committee chairman) that had Romney winning in that town. So - if that happened in Belfast we all know it's quite possible it happened in other places as well.

Honestly, I don't think the vote in Washington county is going to make the difference. I think, now that the national spotlight is on the Maine GOP to get this right - that the numbers may look radically different than originally reported because they were obviously reporting fraudulent numbers - at least in some cases - to hand Flipper the win. It's going to be an interesting story.....

If Romney ends up winning by even 1 vote, the media will continue to ignore the story of what happened here.

If Ron Paul ends up winning by even 1 vote (or a 1000) I think the media will CONTINUE to essentially ignore it but it will get at least a little play - let's face it, we all know the narrative by now. Ron Paul wins - the state doesn't matter. BUT, IT WILL GET SOME PLAY and it WILL change the narrative some. Let's hope for the best.

mosquitobite
02-17-2012, 08:03 AM
Everyone is looking to only Washington County. As Ben said, Hancock is also planning on caucusing this Saturday and their county GOP chair said he expected Hancock to have a total of about 300 people voting.

We just need to be sure we have excellent speakers that lay out how many votes Santorum is down...and therefore he CANNOT win Maine. There simply aren't enough voters left, even if 100% went to him. If Santorum voters want to help Santorum - they absolutely MUST take the win away from Romney!

eqcitizen
02-17-2012, 08:06 AM
It would seem to me that any Santorum or Grinch supporters should vote for paul. If they want romney to flounder even more it makes sense for the poll to switch and make Romney look even worse

digitaldean
02-17-2012, 08:23 AM
Now the guy is saying Romeny won by 15 in one area and not Paul by 15. It seems the new numbers will have Romeny winning by over 200 now.

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0212/73015.html

Sematary
02-17-2012, 09:00 AM
Now the guy is saying Romeny won by 15 in one area and not Paul by 15. It seems the new numbers will have Romeny winning by over 200 now.

I personally don't believe anything the MAINE GOP has to say at this point. I'd like to see all the votes counted by an independent third party. Actually, I think ALL votes in ALL states should be verified through a third party that the candidates' campaigns agree upon. Obviously, the GOP can't be relied upon to be honest or forthcoming in the vote counts.

seawolf
02-17-2012, 09:48 AM
The most important thing tomorrow is to ensure we get the delegates coming out of those town caucus's in Washington and Hancock, Co.'s

Remember it is the Delegates!!!! Especially tomorrow, because the mainstream media will just ignore a Ron Paul Win, even if it somehow, someway happened, especially knowing the Maine GOP Chairman and his cronies.

Highstreet
02-17-2012, 02:52 PM
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7050/6892946639_ece14effdc_z.jpg

parocks
02-17-2012, 03:40 PM

This was noted a few days ago. That's a 30 vote swing.

Kregisen
02-17-2012, 04:06 PM
Anyone know when all of the new results will be announced today? Was there a 100% recount? What's the scoop here?

Morerockin
02-17-2012, 04:09 PM
Anyone know when all of the new results will be announced today? Was there a 100% recount? What's the scoop here?

Ron is down by 239 votes according to the Maine GOP's new numbers:

http://www.mainegop.com/2012/02/maine-republican-party-releases-presidential-preference-updated-results/

jcannon98188
02-17-2012, 07:15 PM
Belfast county is STILL wrong. Showing Ron Paul 8, Santorum 7, Romney 5, Newt 0. Atleast TRY and get it right GOP?

JJ2
02-17-2012, 07:44 PM
Belfast county is STILL wrong. Showing Ron Paul 8, Santorum 7, Romney 5, Newt 0. Atleast TRY and get it right GOP?

What are the correct numbers?

parocks
02-17-2012, 08:59 PM
What are the correct numbers?

Belfast is a town in Waldo county.

kill the banks
02-17-2012, 09:04 PM
I personally don't believe anything the MAINE GOP has to say at this point. I'd like to see all the votes counted by an independent third party. Actually, I think ALL votes in ALL states should be verified through a third party that the candidates' campaigns agree upon. Obviously, the GOP can't be relied upon to be honest or forthcoming in the vote counts.

something we might be able to do by changing rules later *