PDA

View Full Version : First State Convention?

JasonM
02-17-2012, 01:57 AM
When and where is the first state convention actually held?

That will be the vote to watch I think. See if we actually have the ability to swamp these things with our people.

harikaried
02-17-2012, 02:48 AM
If you're referring to the next step after precincts, Minnesota has BPOU conventions today until end of March.

The first state convention looks like North Dakota on 3/31-4/1. Their caucus is super tuesday.

http://www.thegreenpapers.com/P12/events.phtml?s=c

JasonM
02-17-2012, 03:16 AM
I'm referring to any step where NATIONAL delegates are actually chosen. For many (most?) states, that's the state convention, not a county, precinct or district convention.

SCOTUSman
02-17-2012, 03:19 AM
I'm referring to any step where NATIONAL delegates are actually chosen. For many (most?) states, that's the state convention, not a county, precinct or district convention.

Yeah that would be North Dakota's on March 31st and April 1st. About 3 1/2 weeks after they caucus.

Keith and stuff
02-17-2012, 03:23 AM
Well, national delegates were sort of chosen in New Hampshire on January 10th. There wasn't any need for a convention.

SCOTUSman
02-17-2012, 03:25 AM
Yep. The actual national delegates chosen so far are those only from New Hampshire. Nevada hasn't picked their delegates, but we do know how the break down of their vote will be on the first ballot. The only other national delegates we know are the super delegates. Nobody else has selected their delegates yet to the RNC.

JasonM
02-17-2012, 05:07 AM
Then it sounds like that's where the outpouring of our first efforts should go, in ND.

But are you sure the delegates have ACTUALLY been chosen in NH? Like would we know the names of these delegates in NH? Do delegates in NH for candidates that dropped out still get to vote however they like?

Keith and stuff
02-17-2012, 12:44 PM
Do delegates in NH for candidates that dropped out still get to vote however they like?

As far as I know, yes. However, as far as I know, they seem to always vote for the leading candidate. I full expect the Jon Huntsman delegates to go to Romney unless Santorum pulls away from Romney and wins a bunch of states. Then, they will go to Santorum.

All of their names are public information and have been for months.

sailingaway
02-17-2012, 12:46 PM
Every state has different rules and different dynamics. You can't predict one by another really. It isn't like momentum from primaries, it is consistent, ongoing, groundwork and trying to out maneuver those trying to shut you out.

sailingaway
02-17-2012, 12:48 PM
As far as I know, yes. However, as far as I know, they seem to always vote for the leading candidate. I full expect the Jon Huntsman delegates to go to Romney unless Santorum pulls away from Romney and wins a bunch of states. Then, they will go to Santorum.

All of their names are public information and have been for months.

New Hampshire delegates are on slates filed by the candidates. Santorum didn't have a full slate filed anyhow. Huntsman, Romney and Ron did, however. The other caucuses, NV, CO, MN, ME, IA however, do not determine their delegates by the popular vote. SOMEONE will get them, regardless. We want it to be Ron.