PDA

View Full Version : Robert's Rules Sticky Post Needed?

RobHino
02-16-2012, 09:59 PM
Hey everyone! I'm mainly a long time lurker, and post seldomly, but I've been thinking of Convention strategy and thought it has to be going on somewhere here.

It has been my brief experience that at the Senatorial and State Conventions, the following things occur. I have a few questions. If there are any experts here, can you please help?! I recognize that there are specific procedural rules to follow with the State and National GOP, and I have watched hours of the Robert's Rule's training. I just don't know the proper way to address these topics. Specific answers or sources would be awesome!

1. The Assembly nominates and votes on a temporary chair to oversee the election of a full-time chair and the business of the day. When and how do we nominate and organize around our own? Is there debate time allowed? How do we change the current rules (if needed) to allow for debate time between nominees for full-time chair? Is this necessary or is there a better way? I guess if we have the numbers, that's all that matters, but how do we know?

2. When the Conventions start, they always go out of order. What is the proper order of events and how do we correct it?

3. When the Conventions start, there are always these party bigwigs, local politicians, Senators and Congressmen who want to have the long elaborate speeches to grandstand. How and when can we make a motion to "move to postpone" all the party hoopla until after official business is complete. This is necessary because they always want to try to rush through the official business and rubber stamping. They always want to say that it's taking too long to debate each issue.

4. How and when do we get into the important committees and what takes place at these meetings? Which committees are the ones to watch or try to join?

5. At the Senatorial and State Conventions, the Establishment stacks the Assemblies to tip the numbers in their favor. They make motions to allow these hand picked delegates who never attended a precinct convention to be delegates. How do we stop this?

6. How to remain calm and gain the Assemblies trust during times of abuse by Convention leaders?

Thanks for your help!

Cheers!